•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best way to mount a scope with a losmandy/vixen combo saddle

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: West Virginia

Posted 20 October 2021 - 08:46 PM

Getting a Stellarvue M2C which has a combination Losmandy/Vixen combination saddle. (vixen is inside of the losmandy).

I've read some horror stories of dropped scopes which I believe are situations where the person mounting the dovetail into the saddle and it's not flat. Like it's crooked in the saddle. And this the scope falls out.

Also read some people have issues with very cold weather and metal shrinking. Some of those posts suggested not mounting the scope until both the mount and the scope has cooled.

Anyways, with this style of saddle do you like to do a tip-in method? Or do you open the saddle just enough that you can slide the dovetail in from the top?

Currently I have an ADM vixen saddle and I always check in a few ways if everything is seated properly before letting go of the scope. But I have not had a combination saddle.

Related, are there any challenges mounting a vixen scope in a saddle like this? I guess I can try when I get it. 

#2 D_talley

D_talley

Skylab

• Loc: Albuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 20 October 2021 - 08:56 PM

My M2C should arrive in a day or two. I plan on making a safety strap for my mount in case the scope slips from the saddle, the scope will not take the trip to the dirt. 

• scrufy likes this

#3 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 20 October 2021 - 09:13 PM

My M2C should arrive in a day or two. I plan on making a safety strap for my mount in case the scope slips from the saddle, the scope will not take the trip to the dirt. 

Yeah, I think the biggest issue is if the dovetail is sitting crooked in there and not actually clamped flat. Good to check with a red light just to be sure it's correct. Hopefully more tips will be provided also. I'll have to consider the strap thing. I always use safety screws also.

#4 Jethro7

Jethro7

Vanguard

• Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 20 October 2021 - 09:20 PM

Hello GOLGO13,

The M2C is a great little mount. I have had one for a while now and is the most used of my mounts. I just open the saddle up enough to tip the mounting bar in place, tighten down the mounting screws, then with a finger I can feel if the scope is mounted properly in the saddle before I let go of the scope, even in the dark. The only mod  that I thought was good thing, was to install stronger springs that spread the saddle clamp a little more positively. Once you get the M2C you will understand what I mean. I live down in Florida, on the Gulf of Mexico, so I can not  verify that cooling of the saddle will cause the scope to dismount. I guess it is possable. I've neaver lost a scope yet.

ENJOY THE M2C AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

Edited by Jethro7, 20 October 2021 - 09:21 PM.

#5 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 20 October 2021 - 09:48 PM

For cooling my guess is it depends on the material used for the dovetail. If it shrinks a bit that could be an issue. Or maybe those people didn't have it seated correctly.

#6 gwlee

gwlee

Gemini

• Loc: 38N 120W

Posted 24 October 2021 - 01:24 AM

Getting a Stellarvue M2C which has a combination Losmandy/Vixen combination saddle. (vixen is inside of the losmandy).

I've read some horror stories of dropped scopes which I believe are situations where the person mounting the dovetail into the saddle and it's not flat. Like it's crooked in the saddle. And this the scope falls out.

Also read some people have issues with very cold weather and metal shrinking. Some of those posts suggested not mounting the scope until both the mount and the scope has cooled.

Anyways, with this style of saddle do you like to do a tip-in method? Or do you open the saddle just enough that you can slide the dovetail in from the top?

Currently I have an ADM vixen saddle and I always check in a few ways if everything is seated properly before letting go of the scope. But I have not had a combination saddle.

Related, are there any challenges mounting a vixen scope in a saddle like this? I guess I can try when I get it. 

I always tip in. Most rails have holes near the ends of the plate for 1/4 20 machine screws that prevent the scope rail from accidentally slipping through a loose saddle when the scope is pointed up or down, and I always install them. These screws also prevent sliding the rail into the saddle.

With 4” inch or larger scopes, I prefer to use a D rail. The angle of the bevels on a D rail are more acute, so it’s more difficult for the rail to accidentally tip out of the saddle from the weight of a heavy scope if the saddle isn’t tightened enough. I haven’t tried a D rail with the MC2 yet, but a V rail seems to work fine. The saddle of the MC2 is 6 inches long and has two clamps that seem to secure the rail firmly. 

Edited by gwlee, 24 October 2021 - 01:28 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics