•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

dome over sea container

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 DENISANNA

DENISANNA

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Campbellton, New Brunswick Canada

Posted 20 October 2021 - 10:00 PM

as anyone have thoughts about putting a motorized polyprop type dome like SkyShed Pods makes over the roof of a 20 feet sea container ? My sea can is already divided inside to isolate the weather and am working on a roll off roof idea but ain't quite sold on that idea yet !!! The idea of a dome came to me after seeing a few domes beings sold on this site!!

#2 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: 50° 13' N

Posted 21 October 2021 - 08:50 AM

My first thought is you will need a tall pier. And a stepladder to adjust the scope.
  • archer1960 likes this

#3 archer1960

archer1960

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern New England

Posted 21 October 2021 - 10:11 AM

My first thought is you will need a tall pier. And a stepladder to adjust the scope.

Or a platform that goes around the pier at the proper height.

#4 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: 50° 13' N

Posted 21 October 2021 - 02:48 PM

Or a platform that goes around the pier at the proper height.

Up periscope!

#5 Stevegeo

Stevegeo

Apollo

• Loc: Otisco lake. Marietta NY 13110

Posted 21 October 2021 - 04:17 PM

The only issue I see and it a minor one is some containers have ribbed tops . Either a flat roof with the dome sitting on that , OR dome ring support would need to be sealed in the valleys .... a major pain .

Cutting the circle done with a torch , or plasma cutter ( ideal) would be best . 

Previous mention of a platform  ,  with a pier through the center , stairs to platform ,storage under platform or utilities ( heater, water tank, electrical , cabinets...  I could see it as an ideal observatory.  

Just my two cents . 

Stevegeo  

• archer1960 likes this

#6 DENISANNA

DENISANNA

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2021 - 05:25 PM

agree!!! just building a circular/square platform raised 3 feet from the floor with an internal step latter is only a wee project !!! the idea of being able to stick my head inside the dome make's it more exciting so access to the telescope/mount with a diameter of 6 feet, i think is ok, what are your thoughts ???

#7 DENISANNA

DENISANNA

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2021 - 05:25 PM

Up periscope!

ramming speed Captain !!!

#8 DENISANNA

DENISANNA

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2021 - 05:30 PM

The only issue I see and it a minor one is some containers have ribbed tops . Either a flat roof with the dome sitting on that , OR dome ring support would need to be sealed in the valleys .... a major pain .

Cutting the circle done with a torch , or plasma cutter ( ideal) would be best . 

Previous mention of a platform  ,  with a pier through the center , stairs to platform ,storage under platform or utilities ( heater, water tank, electrical , cabinets...  I could see it as an ideal observatory.  

Just my two cents . 

Stevegeo  

What are your thoughts on a circular mobile platform on wheels, using the edges with a tubing rail as to pull around the pier/mount/telescope ?

• archer1960 likes this

#9 archer1960

archer1960

Viking 1

Posted 21 October 2021 - 05:45 PM

Just my two cents . 

Stevegeo  

Yup!

#10 archer1960

archer1960

Viking 1

Posted 21 October 2021 - 05:46 PM

What are your thoughts on a circular mobile platform on wheels, using the edges with a tubing rail as to pull around the pier/mount/telescope ?

That is basically what my local observatory (Frosty Drew Observatory) in RI does. It works great.

#11 jcj380

jcj380

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hellinois

Posted 22 October 2021 - 09:27 AM

I've read a fair amount about using containers for tiny houses, cabins, observatories.  A common thread is the roofs are not made to handle a heavy load, so bracing might be needed.  YMMV.

#12 555aaa

555aaa

Vendor (Xerxes Scientific)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Ellensburg, WA, USA

Posted 23 October 2021 - 09:27 AM

They make open top shipping containers.

#13 DENISANNA

DENISANNA

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 October 2021 - 06:18 PM

Now that my pier/mount setup is in progress, i can imagine it to completion !! The idea of a rotating platform around my pier is a very realistic idea that has my endorphins flowing !!! we'll see ... The cut out hole in this can's roof is 6'x6', reinforced by 1/4" 2" angle iron welded into the outer frame, the load bearing is well designed for this exact project as long the dome's weight is within reason !! Also am waiting a bit before cutting my hole in the roof as winter is soon upon us and would like to find a used dome and modify the mounting as to cut the hole and weld a steel ring as to meet this eventual dome .

I would like to pass the mike to anyone to reply !!!!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics