•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Does anyone has a video at tutorial how take apart. Ioptron CEM 70?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 EEBA

EEBA

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2021 - 11:35 PM

I can’t pinpoint my mint issue , I tried everything. The calibration graph in phd2 looks funny and I know it says only 500 ms backlash. The dec and RA belts looks not loose. I adjusted gear mesh. I want to take it apart and put ir back again. Sometimes you find little things doing it. I need a little guide to do it . I remove tue saddle and I already got stuck. The cables from USB ports don’t let me keep going. Is there any video or guidelines to follow?

#2 tocster

tocster

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 20 October 2021 - 11:43 PM

How are the guiding results?  I personally wouldn't be taking the mount apart because of a graph in PHD2 - perhaps there are other factors like where the calibration is being done, or balance?  hmm.gif

Anyway in the main CEM70 thread I do recall that at least one person dismantled their mount to swap around worm gear, so perhaps they can help.

#3 EEBA

EEBA

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2021 - 11:50 PM

How are the guiding results? I personally wouldn't be taking the mount apart because of a graph in PHD2 - perhaps there are other factors like where the calibration is being done, or balance? hmm.gif

Anyway in the main CEM70 thread I do recall that at least one person dismantled their mount to swap around worm gear, so perhaps they can help.

I started from scratch
I level tripod/pier, got perfect zero position RA, and Dec. perfect 3D. Balanced RA and DEC , switched guide cameras, OAG, then smaller scope with guide scope , still issue there. I tighten gear mesh, the belts feel ok. I think there is no more to do

#4 blazek

blazek

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Croatia

Posted 21 October 2021 - 12:37 AM

I had some small issues with calibration . I tightened DEC belt to quite tight (although I felt that it was tight enough when I opened an tried) . Situation improved. Now I regularly get RMS around 0.45" - 0.6" (with long and relatively heavy setup) 

#5 EEBA

EEBA

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 October 2021 - 12:49 AM

I had some small issues with calibration . I tightened DEC belt to quite tight (although I felt that it was tight enough when I opened an tried) . Situation improved. Now I regularly get RMS around 0.45" - 0.6" (with long and relatively heavy setup)

Oh, I thought it was tight enough. I already started the surgery. I’m going blind. I could find the post in the cem70 thread

#6 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Apollo

• Loc: Massachusetts / Wyoming

Posted 21 October 2021 - 07:27 AM

Contact iOptron. They are very helpful and can provide diagrams and instructions of any aspect of opening up the mount. Better still, if you are certain something is mechanically wrong, send it to them. Most ‘problems’ I though I had were due to my mistakes and not reading the manual carefully enough. 
Gary

#7 Big Cloud

Big Cloud

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney Australia

Posted 23 October 2021 - 02:11 PM

This video shows some of the inner bits of the CEM70, definitely a step up in gear wheel and worm sizes compared to many other mounts, not a full tear down but helpful with sub titles turned on.

https://www.youtube....1IEXF6tuU&t=15s

Cheers,

Bill.

Edited by Big Cloud, 23 October 2021 - 02:11 PM.

• Tony Bonanno likes this

#8 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Apollo

• Loc: Massachusetts / Wyoming

Posted 23 October 2021 - 03:14 PM

Nice video but my Russian’s a bit rusty…smile.gif

• Tony Bonanno and Big Cloud like this

#9 EEBA

EEBA

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2021 - 07:09 PM

Thanks you :)
  • Big Cloud likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics