•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need Help Identifying Refractor

Refractor Equipment Classic
  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Unknown_Scope

Unknown_Scope

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 October 2021 - 10:15 AM

Hi everyone. This was my dads telescope, he never told me anything about it. I cant find any markings except a polaris cap and so far haven't been able to find any paperwork on it. It's quite huge, see the paint can to the left for reference, its gotta be 6-8ft long, maybe 7-9" in diameter. Everyone on the telescope reddit said post here and theres no serial number because its a prototype? I have found pictures from around the mid 90's of it being loaded into a moving truck. My dad was also in a newspaper article in 2007 with it saying it was 600lbs, I'm assuming that's the base? Which does roll. Anyway, just curious if anyone can help me identify this or point me in the right direction of 1. how to make sure it works (I don't know anything about astronomy, assuming lenses/mirrors need to be checked, no idea how to turn it on, etc) and 2. where and how to sell it/find a buyer for it if it is in good shape, which I think it would be, he took care of stuff. Thanks!

heres an imgur link: https://imgur.com/a/w2uEBKc

fwuLdtk.jpeg

PB0B6zQ.jpeg

#2 Spikey131

Spikey131

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 21 October 2021 - 10:27 AM

Welcome to CN.welcome.gif   A very interesting scope you have there.

I don’t know the answer to your question.  The scope may be custom made.  Others here on CN may know.

Consider looking up a local astronomy club, and see if you can get someone to look at it.  If you were in my town, I would be glad to come check it out.

• Avgvstvs likes this

#3 Couder

Couder

Apollo

• Loc: Mansfield, Missouri in the Ozarks

Posted 21 October 2021 - 10:38 AM

images need to be smaller to attach, total of images is 500KB

• mdowns likes this

#4 Avgvstvs

Avgvstvs

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 21 October 2021 - 10:58 AM

Looks like a very long focus custom refractor.

Very nicely built by the look of things, a thing of beauty.

Why don't you take it outside and try it on the Moon?

#5 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 21 October 2021 - 11:08 AM

If I come clean out the garage, can I have it?drool5.gif

• dron2015 and j.gardavsky like this

#6 photoracer18

photoracer18

Aurora

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 21 October 2021 - 11:10 AM

I can't see the image because of where it is hosted but that sounds very much like one of Dick Brandt's 8" F13.3 refractors based on the size or that Taiwanese company that made those decent 8.5" F12 optics a couple of decades ago that people built scopes out of.

#7 ris242

ris242

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

Posted 21 October 2021 - 03:27 PM

see.jpg

• Jon Isaacs, Castor, mdowns and 1 other like this

#8 dron2015

dron2015

Messenger

Posted 21 October 2021 - 08:46 PM

Could you please post a photo of the objective lens?

#9 Unknown_Scope

Unknown_Scope

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2021 - 06:54 AM

Welcome to CN.welcome.gif   A very interesting scope you have there.

I don’t know the answer to your question.  The scope may be custom made.  Others here on CN may know.

Consider looking up a local astronomy club, and see if you can get someone to look at it.  If you were in my town, I would be glad to come check it out.

Thanks! It seems custom from looking at it, no markings not even on the lens. I am trying to contact them, but no reply as of yet.

Looks like a very long focus custom refractor.

Very nicely built by the look of things, a thing of beauty.

Why don't you take it outside and try it on the Moon?

At the moment it's blocked in by junk but I also have no idea how to use it. I tried to use his Classic C8 last night for the moon but couldn't figure out what type of eye piece lens to use. I know very little about astronomy and nothing on how to pick the right mm eye piece.

I can't see the image because of where it is hosted but that sounds very much like one of Dick Brandt's 8" F13.3 refractors based on the size or that Taiwanese company that made those decent 8.5" F12 optics a couple of decades ago that people built scopes out of.

I measured the diameter and it's 7" long, the scope is around 7ft long. 

Could you please post a photo of the objective lens?

Is that just the front lens? I looked and there is no markings on it at all.

#10 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 22 October 2021 - 07:14 AM

Looks like a very high quality amateur build with a 6" f15 objective. Jaegers sold such objectives, and they have a very good reputation. 

Chip W. 

• dawsonian2000, Dave Trott, mdowns and 4 others like this

#11 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 22 October 2021 - 07:22 AM

The mount head looks to be a Starliner, but the motor box looks ATM.  This is probably a one of a kind custom build. I doubt it is a prototype as that would denote a production build to follow.

• mdowns, Bomber Bob and Bowlerhat like this

#12 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Vanguard

• Loc: 76707

Posted 22 October 2021 - 09:57 AM

I think I'm in love.
Wow
  • mdowns likes this

#13 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Moderators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 22 October 2021 - 01:46 PM

Folks, the topic in refractors and classics has been merged into this one.

Have at it, it’s a beautiful instrument!

• Jon Isaacs, Terra Nova and Bowlerhat like this

#14 mdowns

mdowns

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: SW,FL

Posted 22 October 2021 - 02:12 PM

With Richard's help(post 7) you can now see the important images from the OP's link with these two and the other two I edited into the opening post.I'm with Chip in suspecting  Jaeger's components.The cell on the finder and both focusers, look like jaegers with replacement knobs.The finder's eyepiece looks like the big surplus erfle they sold as well.Looks like a meade 20mm rg in the mainscope's diagonal.

LdBf5Fz.jpeg

Qgs7M0V.jpeg

#15 dawsonian2000

dawsonian2000

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Riverview, FL, USA

Posted 22 October 2021 - 05:32 PM

Looks like a very high quality amateur build with a 6" f15 objective. Jaegers sold such objectives, and they have a very good reputation. 

Chip W. 

I agree, Chip! I believe this is a Jaegers 6" f/15 refractor based on the design of the lens cell in the way the dew shield is the same size as the main tube (also sold by Jaegers) and slides onto the lens cell with a thin integrated stop utilized by both as a transition demarcation. I also see that the finder/ guide-scope has a lens cell identical to the cells Jaegers sold. Also, the focuser looks like a Jaegers other than the red knobs replaced with some custom do-dads. Would love to see a photo of the objective lens. So, my gut feeling is that is a Jaegers. I love that Starliner mount too! Please do all you can to preserve this fine instrument!

Thanks,

Mel

Edited by dawsonian2000, 22 October 2021 - 06:52 PM.

• Terra Nova and Bowlerhat like this

#16 YourNotSirius

YourNotSirius

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Somewhere in New Hampshire

Posted 22 October 2021 - 10:29 PM

I'm going to vote for Jeagers parts, too. So does the old man. The style of the objective matches ours exactly. So does the focusing unit, except for the custom knobs. The fact that the tube is 7 feet long strongly indicates a 6" f/15 lens. The finder and Erfle EP help to support our expectation that these are Jeagers parts.

The Star Liner GEM is a nice one! We believe that the drive is from Ed Byers and that the case was home made. The tubes were likely chrome plated locally. You may wish to check with some of the plating companies in the area to see if the can do such work and if so, did they do it on these tubes. These are unique and very few, if any, other tubes like these would have been plated for a non-commercial client.

The setting circles could have been sourced from Magnusson company. They used to sell such items to amateur astronomers through Sky & Telescope magazine from the early 60s up into the 80s. They were available in both aluminum and brass.

Once you can provide some better images then you have a huge amount of information and experience here on this website from which you can learn all that you need to know about your dad's telescope.

This is one very fine instrument. You have a great starting platform to become involved in astronomy. Once you get your first look I fully expect that you will be hooked. It's a shame that your father never shared this with you. If you do get involved then you can always think of your father every time you use this telescope. I suspect that he would be happy to know that it was you using it instead of someone else.

Q

#17 Unknown_Scope

Unknown_Scope

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2021 - 04:50 AM

The mount head looks to be a Starliner, but the motor box looks ATM.  This is probably a one of a kind custom build. I doubt it is a prototype as that would denote a production build to follow.

After looking at some pictures online, definitely looks like those.

With Richard's help(post 7) you can now see the important images from the OP's link with these two and the other two I edited into the opening post.I'm with Chip in suspecting  Jaeger's components.The cell on the finder and both focusers, look like jaegers with replacement knobs.The finder's eyepiece looks like the big surplus erfle they sold as well.Looks like a meade 20mm rg in the mainscope's diagonal.

attachicon.gifLdBf5Fz.jpeg

attachicon.gifQgs7M0V.jpeg

Would there be any way to tell it is Jaegers? 

I agree, Chip! I believe this is a Jaegers 6" f/15 refractor based on the design of the lens cell in the way the dew shield is the same size as the main tube (also sold by Jaegers) and slides onto the lens cell with a thin integrated stop utilized by both as a transition demarcation. I also see that the finder/ guide-scope has a lens cell identical to the cells Jaegers sold. Also, the focuser looks like a Jaegers other than the red knobs replaced with some custom do-dads. Would love to see a photo of the objective lens. So, my gut feeling is that is a Jaegers. I love that Starliner mount too! Please do all you can to preserve this fine instrument!

Thanks,

Mel

Wow thanks for all of the useful info! I'll post a picture of the lens(es) and other angles too if that helps.

I'm going to vote for Jeagers parts, too. So does the old man. The style of the objective matches ours exactly. So does the focusing unit, except for the custom knobs. The fact that the tube is 7 feet long strongly indicates a 6" f/15 lens. The finder and Erfle EP help to support our expectation that these are Jeagers parts.

The Star Liner GEM is a nice one! We believe that the drive is from Ed Byers and that the case was home made. The tubes were likely chrome plated locally. You may wish to check with some of the plating companies in the area to see if the can do such work and if so, did they do it on these tubes. These are unique and very few, if any, other tubes like these would have been plated for a non-commercial client.

The setting circles could have been sourced from Magnusson company. They used to sell such items to amateur astronomers through Sky & Telescope magazine from the early 60s up into the 80s. They were available in both aluminum and brass.

Once you can provide some better images then you have a huge amount of information and experience here on this website from which you can learn all that you need to know about your dad's telescope.

This is one very fine instrument. You have a great starting platform to become involved in astronomy. Once you get your first look I fully expect that you will be hooked. It's a shame that your father never shared this with you. If you do get involved then you can always think of your father every time you use this telescope. I suspect that he would be happy to know that it was you using it instead of someone else.

Q

Well, he had it built in Long Island I think in the early 70's, it's now in Cape Canaveral, FL. so nor sure about finding where it was finished but I am still going thru his stuff, trying to find any paperwork on it, no luck yet. Thanks, I was thinking of selling it but maybe I'll keep it if I can transport it to where I live (Omaha). He had it my whole life growing up but was always too busy to use it/had other interests, he was more into astronomy before I was born (he had me when he was 48). How do you go about using this/learning how to use this?

I'm going to post more pictures later today, thanks for the help everybody!

#18 Paul Sweeney

Paul Sweeney

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Heidelberg, Germany

Posted 23 October 2021 - 11:43 AM

When you get it to Omaha, contact the local club. When they find out what you have, you're going to be very popular!

They will also show you how to use it. It is actually very easy. You can always ask for help here, too. There must be someone on this forum who lives near Cape Canaveral who would be willing to help you out.

#19 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 23 October 2021 - 03:00 PM

Welcome to cloudynights!

I think during the merger some posts left were cut off, there's this

.. he is Don Primi in the article the VP of Long Island Astronomical ... how to make sure it works (I don't know anything about astronomy, ...

I;d agree with Paul, maybe some members from long island would know.

How do you go about using this/learning how to use this?

A big refractor is a refractor. Using the telescope itself won't be a problem. Get some eyepiece, pop it into diagonal. The trickier part is to use the mount. 

It sits in a custom made german equatorial mount. 

Here is an example of the mount that is simpler. the telescope will rest on the top left end of the mount

post-259169-0-58095400-1515553523.jpg

like this on the right

mount_types.jpg

Either D&G or Jaegers, I think it's a really good ATM scope. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Refractor, Equipment, Classic

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics