•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Looking for a really good tutorial on setting up my Nexstar 5 SE for astrophotography

Astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Jensen

Robert Jensen

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: St. George, UT

Posted 21 October 2021 - 11:59 AM

I want to set up a simple and automated system to control my Celestron Nexstar 5SE (older style connector on hand controller) via a computer running Windows 10, have it auto align using plate solving, and auto capture. I have the SkyPortal WiFi module if that helps. I want to use my Sony A6000 for capture. My main interest are DSO (galaxies and nebulae).  I may sometime in the future buy a dedicated camera ZWI or other but money is tight so I need to use the gear I have and keep purchases to a minimum. I also have the Celestron image reducer. 0.63x.

The reasons I want to try something like plate solving are that I can't read the display on the hand controller and I have a bad back and can't crane my neck to look through a finder or red dot to do alignment. I bought the Celestron 10x illuminated rt angle scope and I had trouble with that too. I have thousands of floaters in my eyes so I need to use a computer screen to see or control anything.

So, if anyone can point me towards a good tutorial, or series, geared for beginners I would appreciate the tip.

Thanks,

Bob

Edited by Robert Jensen, 21 October 2021 - 12:00 PM.

#2 kopite

kopite

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Folsom, California

Posted 21 October 2021 - 12:10 PM

Go to the Celestron website and download the PWI Telescope Control software for windows (it's free). There is also a manual in pdf that you can download. It is very easy to setup and use to control your scope using the SkyPortal wifi module. I use the exact same setup on my Nexstar 6SE which will be the same procedure using your 5SE. It will do everything that you described and If you have any issues post them on here and we can help you resolve them.

Good luck.

Edited by kopite, 21 October 2021 - 12:11 PM.

#3 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 21 October 2021 - 12:22 PM

With that scope/mount you should seriously consider doing electronically assisted astronomy (EAA) instead of traaditional astrophotography.  Posting a request for a tutorial on the EAA forum would be a good place to start.

It's easier and cheaper.  A lot.  For traditional AP with that scope you'd really need an expensive mount.

Sharpcap Pro has a polar alignment module.  And "Livestack" which is what EAA is, fundamentally.

Edited by bobzeq25, 21 October 2021 - 12:23 PM.

• Dagobert likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics