•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Shifting from using DSLR + camera lens to using entry CCD + refractor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rbmcmurt

rbmcmurt

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 October 2021 - 12:33 PM

Hi everyone,

I've been imaging for about a year now. My setup has been very basic. I use my Canon 5D mkiv and an older 500mm f/4 lens mounted on a Celestron AVX. I use an ASI 120mm guide camera mounted on a 30mm f/4 scope (attached to an L-bracket on my camera). PHD2 for guiding, BackyardEOS for focus & image capturing. A couple of USB-powered dew heaters. 

I mostly use my camera and lens for wildlife photography, and while it's been a workable solution for basic astrophotography, it's also been a giant pain to break everything down and reset everything depending on whether I'm taking wildlife shots or star shots at a given time. The process involves changing out a lot of hardware. I'm ready for a more permanent and dedicated setup. 

I really like the focal length that I've been working with, and I'd like to get something in that range. I would also like to get a cooled camera. I have a budget of about $2200 to get everything I need. I'm going to continue using the AVX mount and the guide camera/scope I already own. 

I've been reading the forums and looking off-and-on for the past couple of months. I'm currently leaning toward a WO Zenithstar 81 APO matched with a ASI533MC Pro. I also got on the waitlist for an ASIAir Plus a couple weeks ago. 

Any thoughts? Any accessories beyond those that I HAVE to get? Any that you'd recommend?

Thanks for any advice you may have and clear skies.

#2 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 21 October 2021 - 01:12 PM

Sounds like a good plan to me. 

You could save a bit of money and go with a generic Raspberry Pi 4B (4 gig model) and the Astroberry distro.  Might be easier to acquire than the Air.  It's a little more work to get running - it's more of a computer than an appliance - but it's also got a lot more flexibility for down the road.  All the needed software is pre-installed, so a lot easier than using a "real" PC.

• 17.5Dob likes this

#3 OldManSky

OldManSky

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 21 October 2021 - 01:45 PM

I think your choice of WO ZS81 and ASI533 are very good choices.  That will let you go a long way without needing to upgrade.

One point of note:  the ASI533 is not a "CCD" camera.  It's a CMOS camera.  Nitpicky?  Not really. :)

Good luck with your choices!

#4 rbmcmurt

rbmcmurt

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 October 2021 - 03:19 PM

I think your choice of WO ZS81 and ASI533 are very good choices.  That will let you go a long way without needing to upgrade.

One point of note:  the ASI533 is not a "CCD" camera.  It's a CMOS camera.  Nitpicky?  Not really. smile.gif

Good luck with your choices!

Thanks! And dang it - I think I had a brain failure there. hahaha. 

#5 rbmcmurt

rbmcmurt

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 October 2021 - 03:20 PM

Sounds like a good plan to me. 

You could save a bit of money and go with a generic Raspberry Pi 4B (4 gig model) and the Astroberry distro.  Might be easier to acquire than the Air.  It's a little more work to get running - it's more of a computer than an appliance - but it's also got a lot more flexibility for down the road.  All the needed software is pre-installed, so a lot easier than using a "real" PC.

Thank you! I hadn't even thought of that. I'll have to do a little research now tonight. Appreciate you taking the time to give me the advice!

• TelescopeGreg likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics