•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

3d printed rings for refractor

3d printing
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Faber

Faber

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 October 2021 - 12:34 PM

Dear all,
Have you any experience about rings for a refractor of 10cm of diameter printed instead of an aluminium ones?
They change due to heat or loads?
Thank in advance and best regards

#2 SchoolMaster

SchoolMaster

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 21 October 2021 - 01:07 PM

I do a fair amount of 3D printing, but not for this. 

There are many variables, starting with the filament you use.  PLA has too low a glass temperature for me to want to use it.  Nylon should work and would certainly be worth trying, as would ABS and a carbon fiber reinforced filament could work well too.

Do you have a printer? 

Do you have a design? 

Plastic is more flexible, generally, for the same volume and has a much lower melting point, but a well design product should work.  I'd go composite and use metal in the fasteners and hinge pins as a minimum.

#3 Faber

Faber

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 October 2021 - 04:39 PM

I don’t have a printer.
Was a proposal of an artisan instead of alluminium.
I’m not totally convinced because the material to be used will be plastic only. For a case or something similar no problem, but for ring I think it’s necessary to reinforce the filament. At the end I decided for alluminium.
Thank for the opinion.
Regards

#4 SchoolMaster

SchoolMaster

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 21 October 2021 - 05:30 PM

Well engineered plastic is very robust and I'm sure something usable could have been created.  Aluninium is a comparatively soft metal.

Good luck.  What scope were you thinking of putting on it?

#5 iwannabswiss

iwannabswiss

Apollo

• Loc: Somewhere in Space

Posted 21 October 2021 - 05:53 PM

Dear all,
Have you any experience about rings for a refractor of 10cm of diameter printed instead of an aluminium ones?
They change due to heat or loads?
Thank in advance and best regards

I printed a set of rings for an 8 inch scope for a friend using ABS; haven't heard any negative from him.

med_gallery_226764_5446_162912.jpg

Edited by iwannabswiss, 21 October 2021 - 05:57 PM.

#6 Faber

Faber

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2021 - 12:43 AM

Well engineered plastic is very robust and I'm sure something usable could have been created. Aluninium is a comparatively soft metal.

Good luck. What scope were you thinking of putting on it?

A Takahashi fc 100 dl with a weight of 3-4 kg. The problem is that the tube will be used in a dual rig and i was worried about maintaining the collimation with other tube.

#7 Beeham

Beeham

Mariner 2

• Loc: Oakland County, Michigan

Posted 24 October 2021 - 07:20 AM

A Takahashi fc 100 dl with a weight of 3-4 kg. The problem is that the tube will be used in a dual rig and i was worried about maintaining the collimation with other tube.

I have done a fair amount of 3d printing, and for a scope that nice, I would never trust a plastic ring made on a consumer-grade printer.  If you need something really special to fit a design requirement, I would farm it out to a CNC shop and have it cut from aluminum.  

The risk of the scope hitting the pavement due to a failure of the printed rings would be too great for me to enjoy using it.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but even the stronger filaments (ABS, nylon, and PETG) have time-dependent creep and aging behavior that would worry me.

I hope that's a helpful perspective.  Good luck with your project!

• PrestonE and Bob4BVM like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 3d printing

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics