•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Inquiry on dovetails and e-mount adapters (SkyGuider Pro Setup)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Abe Froman

Abe Froman

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 October 2021 - 01:03 PM

Hi everyone, I'm building my first astrophotography set up and had a few questions about some of the equipment I was considering purchasing.

I intend on using the Teleskop Service Photoline 80mm Triplet Refractor on the SkyGuider Pro, however I noticed that the scope uses what I think is a Losmandy Dovetail bar. Is this correct?
And if so, do I need to purchase some sort of adapter since I didn't see anything in the SkyGuider product description or its display photo indicating that it could receive a dovetail bar like on the telescope I had in mind. Do dimensions of an adapter matter in this case if I do need to purchase one?
https://optcorp.com/...iplet-refractor
https://optcorp.com/...ro-full-package

Regarding adapters, I plan to use my Sony A7III which has an e-mount. Am I right in assuming I need the following two adapters in order to attach my Sony camera to the Photoline Refractor telescope.

https://agenaastro.c...48-2458229.html

https://optcorp.com/...mm-t-mount.html

#2 Dren

Dren

Vostok 1

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 21 October 2021 - 03:07 PM

I'm looking at the TS Photoline 80mm Triplet Refractor on optcorp site and the picture shown looks like vixen dovetail.  May want to confirm with vendor before purchasing.

capture.JPG

I think skyguider pro comes with vixen-type dovetail saddle so you could use that.

Capture2.JPG

Do you already have the skyguider pro?  I think SGP is designed for short focal lengths, like sub-300mm.  Not that people haven't used it with longer focal lengths, but it gets more frustrating with longer lengths.  Also, the tube weight of TS80 is 6.9lb, while SGP weight capacity is only 11lb.  So with just the TS80, you're already over the 50% capacity, which is the general recommendation on how much of the mount weight capacity to use for AP.  When you add the camera, you're getting close to the weight capacity.  Then if you want to add a guider, that makes it even worse.

Edited by Dren, 21 October 2021 - 03:11 PM.

• Abe Froman likes this

#3 Relic

Relic

Sputnik

• Loc: Beaumont, CA.

Posted 21 October 2021 - 03:56 PM

I can confirm that the SGP does come with that adapter for the Vixen dovetail and works just fine.

• Baron von Smoogle and Abe Froman like this

#4 Abe Froman

Abe Froman

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 October 2021 - 10:50 PM

I'm looking at the TS Photoline 80mm Triplet Refractor on optcorp site and the picture shown looks like vixen dovetail.  May want to confirm with vendor before purchasing.

attachicon.gifcapture.JPG

I think skyguider pro comes with vixen-type dovetail saddle so you could use that.

attachicon.gifCapture2.JPG

Do you already have the skyguider pro?  I think SGP is designed for short focal lengths, like sub-300mm.  Not that people haven't used it with longer focal lengths, but it gets more frustrating with longer lengths.  Also, the tube weight of TS80 is 6.9lb, while SGP weight capacity is only 11lb.  So with just the TS80, you're already over the 50% capacity, which is the general recommendation on how much of the mount weight capacity to use for AP.  When you add the camera, you're getting close to the weight capacity.  Then if you want to add a guider, that makes it even worse.

Thank you both for the input. I'm rethinking my purchase options now. I was totally unaware that the recommended weight capacity was about 50%. Thinking I might just end up getting some telephoto lenses instead. Everything I'm learning I'm learning on my own via google and forums. Glad I didn't make that expensive mistake, thanks.

#5 Dren

Dren

Vostok 1

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 21 October 2021 - 11:14 PM

Thank you both for the input. I'm rethinking my purchase options now. I was totally unaware that the recommended weight capacity was about 50%. Thinking I might just end up getting some telephoto lenses instead. Everything I'm learning I'm learning on my own via google and forums. Glad I didn't make that expensive mistake, thanks.

No problem. This is why we are here-to help each other. If you're looking at short focal lenses, take a look at redcat 51. I've never used one but have seen amazing images taken using redcat on SGP.  Just search for redcat and skyguider pro on astrobin. I think I've read that the weak point of redcat is its focuser. 

If you are open to getting a sturdier mount, you will find a lot of suggestions here. Problem with SGP and other trackers is that it only moves in RA. Bigger mounts move in RA and Dec, which is important if you want to use long focal lengths. 

• Abe Froman likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics