•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The chair, The chair, The chair.

Equipment
  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 bearpig

bearpig

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Peach Mountain Observatory, 42.3N

Posted 21 October 2021 - 06:01 PM

This early summer, I purchased a pair of hideously overpriced "camp chairs" because I was taking a long time fishing buddy on a fly fishing trout expedition for a week here in Michigan. We camped (which in my opinion is the only way to do a trout expedition) and by way of camp comfort, I bought the Nemo Stargaze Recliner Luxury chairs.

August was pleasant and September more so until the heavy rains started. I found myself out late into the evening and started using the chairs for ... stargazing. 

In the last month I have started my observing notebook, started my sketches and observing log, dug out an old Nikon 5100 and learned how to "fix" its issues, and have started actually planning my observing sessions.

Sometime this winter I'll try some astrophotography (off topic, apologies).

I use field glasses and am finding 8x32 Katmai Leupold field glasses sufficient for my purpose of "learning" the constellations. The light weight is the appeal.

Years ago I mastered celestial navigation; but, that required only knowing about 28 common brights and a great deal of spherical geometry. The whole sky? Not so much. At least, not enough to be able to converse reasonably about the open cluster around X star in Y constellation. I'm going to fix that here in the next couple of years.

I am enjoying the Nemo chair as I can prop my elbows on the stanchions from which the sling seat is suspended and find this promotes good stability so far. That seems to be the key to my thrall: stability coupled with convenience.

I am wondering, I see the gravity chair mentioned commonly in "seating" threads. How does one "brace up" for stability in that or does everyone use a tripod mount when they get serious about prolonged observation (say ... more than an hour) ?

I'm new. First post here. In awe of cloudy nights and the expertise I see just causally crop up in banter. I'm well suited to primitive observing. I'm in Michigan .... I have a parka collection and a closet whose top shelf is filled with outside-use blankets and quilts. 

Thanks. I look forward to learning some stability hints.

• brookhill and BUDSBOY like this

#2 Napp

Napp

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Northeast Florida, USA

Posted 21 October 2021 - 06:10 PM

This is how you "brace" binoculars with a zero gravity or other reclining chair - a parallelogram.

Attached Thumbnails

• Parallelogram small.jpg

• Philip Levine, ianatcn, petert913 and 6 others like this

#3 bearpig

bearpig

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 October 2021 - 07:26 PM

Ah. I'd only seen the trapezoid/ parallelogram rigged for standing.

Of course it could be lower and adjacent to the observer. Makes sense.

Thanks for the pic. 

#4 Napp

Napp

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Northeast Florida, USA

Posted 21 October 2021 - 07:40 PM

A really nice aspect of a parallelogram with a zero gravity chair is that you can observe from horizon to zenith.  You need to make sure the binocular mount can be rotated horizontally and vertically without moving the arm so that you can cover more of the sky without having to move the chair.

• brookhill likes this

#5 mrowlands

mrowlands

Messenger

• Loc: WI

Posted 21 October 2021 - 07:58 PM

I've found that using a monopod between the knees (you don't have to grasp it), with some type of swiveling head, gives a good deal of steadiness.

Mike R.

• Stellarfire, sevenofnine and ECP M42 like this

#6 f18dad

f18dad

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Virginia

Posted 21 October 2021 - 08:33 PM

I bought this Nemo alternative chair at Costco for $35. Very strong. Works great. Just place your elbows on the high pedestal arm rests for rock solid stability.

Attached Thumbnails

• chair1.jpg
  • chair2.jpg
  • chair3.jpg
  • chair4.jpg
  • chair5.jpg
  • chair6.jpg

• sevenofnine, ECP M42 and brookhill like this

#7 bearpig

bearpig

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 October 2021 - 08:38 PM

Nice! I am looking at monopods.

I have 15x60 Zeiss from the late 70's packed away. Haven't ventured into great storage vault.

Great for when leaning on a bridge rail but heavy otherwise.

Love the Costco chair! These are comfortable seats. Elbows naturally find the supports.

#8 DaveL

DaveL

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Madison, WI, USA

Posted 21 October 2021 - 10:01 PM

I have 15x60 Zeiss from the late 70's packed away. Haven't ventured into great storage vault.

shocked.gif Hey, get that Zeiss out, that's supposed to be a legendary astronomy binocular smile.gif

Welcome to cloudynights!

-Dave

• Corcaroli78, Stellarfire and ECP M42 like this

#9 gwlee

gwlee

Gemini

• Loc: 38N 120W

Posted 21 October 2021 - 10:38 PM

I am using a 3#,  Fujinon 10x50 FMT-SX binocular on Lafuma recliner, which some manufacturers call a zero g chair. I find that I can hold the binocular steady enough from a reclined position with the eyecups resting against my eyeglasses that I don’t feel the need for additional bracing in 3-4 hour sessions.

Sitting upright or standing isn’t as steady, so I tend to use the 7x50 more when I expect to use these positions continuously. Although there are various contraptions that can be used with binoculars to increase their steadiness, I prefer the simplicity and convenience of handheld binocular observing. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0449.JPG

Edited by gwlee, 21 October 2021 - 10:56 PM.

• Philip Levine and Grimnir like this

#10 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 22 October 2021 - 04:06 PM

The usual way of observing with the zero gravity chair is with binoculars 10x50 or less. The legs are lifted and your head rests comfortably against a firm pillow. A pillow can brace the arms for more stability. Those who only fly first class use Canon IS grin.gif

Edited by sevenofnine, 22 October 2021 - 04:07 PM.

• LIVE LONG and Astronoob76 like this

#11 bearpig

bearpig

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2021 - 04:58 PM

I look in the star atlas and I see objects I can almost resolve and I think ...a little more ... and of course, stability will bite me. That's why the 15x Zeiss beasts are still packed away. Being able to grab solid performing field glasses and go out is critical to me. 

Yes, I'm trying to plan sessions now with the goal of resolving "these" things but the overburden of too much regimentation will kill my joy.

I'm thinking monopod quite seriously. I am enjoying the Nemo chairs though. Very happy. 

Tomorrow night promises to be clear for a couple hours around midnight. Exciting.

Thanks all.

• rjlastroscanvt likes this

#12 duck2k

duck2k

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fountain Hills, AZ

Posted 22 October 2021 - 06:06 PM

Solid for me. 

Attached Thumbnails

• F877F7D0-BE2B-4031-93BF-9090AD4BAED2.jpeg

Edited by duck2k, 22 October 2021 - 06:07 PM.

• DaveL, Astronoob76 and brookhill like this

#13 BUDSBOY

BUDSBOY

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 22 October 2021 - 06:29 PM

I'm also in Michigan - also my first post.

Just purchased SLC 15x56's to enjoy the dark sky near me.

Not sure about the chair/mount choices yet - plan on trying the zero chair first.

Where about in this great state are you located? I'm right on the 45th parallel.

• rjlastroscanvt and brookhill like this

#14 bearpig

bearpig

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2021 - 08:05 PM

Budsboy -

I'm nearly four hours south of you around 42.3 lat. Peach Mountain is only about six miles away so astronomically, that's home!

I spend a fair amount of time east of Grayling on the North, South, and holy waters of the Au Sable. Also the Manistee (Deward tract), as well as the Black and in a stretch north of you, the Pigeon. 

I also try a yearly outing to the upper Jordan valley but missed it this year. Should be stunning for observing.

Doing some winter camping this year partly to beat the crowds and partly for the stunning skies. 

Edited by bearpig, 22 October 2021 - 08:06 PM.

• BUDSBOY likes this

#15 ECP M42

ECP M42

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: central Europe 45°N

Posted 23 October 2021 - 10:06 PM

Solid for me. 

... there is more and more "light pollution" in your photos.

The equipment could be very effective and solid, but you should improve your observation position! lol.gif

• Stevenkelby likes this

#16 duck2k

duck2k

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fountain Hills, AZ

Posted 23 October 2021 - 11:22 PM

The equipment could be very effective and solid, but you should improve your observation position! lol.gif

My neighbors are jerks! :)

• ECP M42 likes this

#17 Stevenkelby

Stevenkelby

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Adelaide Hills, South Australia

Posted 24 October 2021 - 05:28 AM

I went and got my bino bandit just to look at that picture! lol.gif

• Foss likes this

#18 ECP M42

ECP M42

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: central Europe 45°N

Posted 24 October 2021 - 06:21 AM

lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

#19 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 24 October 2021 - 07:12 AM

The Nemo chair looks better than a 0-gravity

but I am concerned about spending that much money and then have the chair break.  

What is available for repair/service?

edj

#20 bearpig

bearpig

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 October 2021 - 08:43 AM

NEMO makes expedition quality gear. This isn't the "three weekends a year for two years" design standard of the best selling camp gear at REI. 

But apart from the heavy grade materials, chair as a lifetime warranty. In eight years of using NEMO, I've never made a claim.

If you get a chance to see one in person, you'll see the 7/8" heavy anodized frame and solid single-block cnc machined joints for the strut anchors.

It is not a lightweight piece of gear. I trust NEMO for gear I pack around the world to places where repair or replacement is not available.  I fly into remote locations where no camp exists and you tip the pilot on the way in so he "remembers" to come back in two weeks for the "out" leg.

The chair is solid. Nemo service is usually "replace" when an issue arises (which I haven't used). Not a NEMO guy ... just satisfied customer.

• edwincjones, zerodur and brookhill like this

#21 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 October 2021 - 02:40 PM

Quite some time ago, I saw some pics of someone, can't exactly remember his location, who had the ultimate Astronomy chair. He had built a large pair of reflector, bino-scopes. At least 25" aperture, but the best part was that he had built an observing chair as an integral part of the bioscope. They faced forwards with one part of the binoscope on either side of the observer. The system was completely electric, move to where you want to observe, electric interocular spacing and electric focus. 

Mind you, this thing was a beast and very heavy, but still, wow.

Clear skies and keep looking up.

RalphMeisterTigerMan

• Andeas72202 likes this

#22 Astronoob76

Astronoob76

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 October 2021 - 02:52 PM

the ultimate Astronomy chair

Something like this maybe?

https://youtu.be/akFaEhcuHcQ

• Napp, ECP M42, brookhill and 1 other like this

#23 Philip Levine

Philip Levine

Viking 1

• Loc: near Boston, MA

Posted 25 October 2021 - 08:51 PM

A zero-g lounge chair, a P-gram, my William Optics 22x70 binos, a “beverage”, a blanket, and clear skies ...

• brookhill and bearpig like this

#24 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 October 2021 - 02:35 PM

Astronoob76, right on! That's the one. Can you possibly think of anything better, other than making it larger? It doesn't right very portable though, but if you live close to dark skies then you're okay!.

Clear skies and keep looking up!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

• Astronoob76 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics