•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Some Galaxies (NGC 891 & 7331) from Okie-Tex

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JSeay86

JSeay86

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Tulsa, OK

Posted 21 October 2021 - 06:53 PM

Here are a couple shots that I collected during the Okie-Tex star party a couple weeks ago. The NGC 891 shot is about 8 hours of data and includes some taken in October 2020.  The NGC 7331 is only about 3 hours total and could definitely use some additional frames to smooth things out. All taken with an 8" Edge HD at prime focus f/10 with a QSI 683. 

This was my first outing with the Moonlite CHL 2.5 crayford focuser (after abandoning the motorized primary mirror focusing), and I was very pleased with the performance and improvements to autofocus stability. It definitely makes the scope a bit tail-heavy though!

NGC 891

(10 min frames, LRGB all bin 1x1)

NGC 7331 & friends

(6 min frames, L 1x1, RGB 2x2)

Comments & critiques welcome!

Edited by JSeay86, 21 October 2021 - 06:56 PM.

• psandelle, mikewayne3, aaube and 12 others like this

#2 Jeffmar

Jeffmar

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: salt lake city, utah

Posted 21 October 2021 - 07:39 PM

They look really good! Nice work!

I just put a Moonlight focuser on my refractor. It wasn’t cheap, but the nice thing is that it is a very nice focuser. 

NGC 7331 LRGB Processed CR scaled 2
NGC 891 LRGB Processed CR scaled 2

I played with your images a little in Lightroom just to see what would happen. They seem to have a lot of dynamic range so it’s easy to bring out more of whatever you want.

I gave each image a little bit more contrast, darkened up the background, and increased saturation a little bit. The photos we create are mostly a matter of personal taste. I like my backgrounds a bit darker and I am sure I overdo the colors on my images too much, but that is part of the fun. If you would rather that I take these photos down, I will. I really do like what you did!

Edited by Jeffmar, 21 October 2021 - 07:54 PM.

• rwstanley, Berny, PhotonHunter1 and 1 other like this

#3 JSeay86

JSeay86

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Tulsa, OK

Posted 21 October 2021 - 08:09 PM

Hey those look great Jeff. I didn’t push them too much and avoided clipped pixels on the black end. I like your versions and the color saturation looks nice. I’ve been trying to revise my processing techniques and tried a bunch of new techniques in PI on these images. I haven’t quite settled into my “standard processing routine” yet. Appreciate you playing around with them and thanks for the kind words!
  • Jeffmar likes this

#4 Astrola72

Astrola72

Apollo

• Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 21 October 2021 - 08:13 PM

Very nice images, Jared. I like them just the way they are.

Joe

• Jeffmar likes this

#5 Jeffmar

Jeffmar

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: salt lake city, utah

Posted 21 October 2021 - 08:29 PM

Hey those look great Jeff. I didn’t push them too much and avoided clipped pixels on the black end. I like your versions and the color saturation looks nice. I’ve been trying to revise my processing techniques and tried a bunch of new techniques in PI on these images. I haven’t quite settled into my “standard processing routine” yet. Appreciate you playing around with them and thanks for the kind words!

Over the years I have done a lot of images of things in the sky. Most of them aren't nearly as good as yours. I’m a slow learner, I guess. I suppose I do have a style, but it can change depending on what the target is. Dyan O’Donnell has a good video on the post processing styles of people he knows or follows. Check it out if you haven’t already.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics