•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Have prices changed recently?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Eggzactaly

Eggzactaly

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 October 2021 - 06:57 PM

I’ve never owned a telescope before, but I have browsed around for one a few years ago. I was recently interested in buying an 8”-10” dob for my first telescope now that funds are available and I noticed that prices seem to be higher than what I remembered. I also noticed there is only one dob being sold second hand locally for ~$700 with very few accessories. Is this all part of the manufacturing shortage or whatever it is that’s going on? I could've sworn the 8" used to go in the $300 range or am I wrong?

Edited by Eggzactaly, 21 October 2021 - 06:58 PM.

#2 Jeffmar

Jeffmar

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: salt lake city, utah

Posted 21 October 2021 - 07:04 PM

There has been a bigger demand and a slower supply chain since Covid. I have noticed quite a few price increases of around 10% in the last 18 months or so for some of the telescopes I have looked at, but most of those items are either sold out or have a wait time of months rather than weeks. A few of my friends in my astronomy club have had to scour the internet every day for weeks of months to find used the used equipment they want. I don’t know about used prices, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they were higher lately.

#3 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Cumberland, Maryland, USA

Posted 21 October 2021 - 07:46 PM

Yes.  Most brands have had price increases for the pandemic due to increased demand and reduced supply.

Edited by Nicole Sharp, 21 October 2021 - 07:46 PM.

#4 Napp

Napp

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Northeast Florida, USA

Posted 21 October 2021 - 07:47 PM

And the price increases for new equipment are driving price increases for used equipment.

• Rollo and spaceoddity like this

#5 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Voyager 1

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 21 October 2021 - 08:00 PM

I just paid "an extra $100" for a thousand dollar eyepiece --- and actually happy to have gotten it! So there's the ten percent that you have noticed. And I just bought a nice used car for what would have been the new price, not so many years ago --- and actually happy to have gotten it! CoVid, sure; Supply Chain, sure; Devaluation of the Dollar, sure; --- which all lead to Inflation for sure! We citizens are just along for the roller coaster ride. Hopefully, this inflation won't become rampant/runaway.

So, not at all unexpectedly... our new and used astro hobby gear is going up in price.    Tom

• Jim in PA likes this

#6 SteveG

SteveG

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 21 October 2021 - 08:06 PM

I just paid "an extra $100" for a thousand dollar eyepiece --- and actually happy to have gotten it! So there's the ten percent that you have noticed. And I just bought a nice used car for what would have been the new price, not so many years ago --- and actually happy to have gotten it! CoVid, sure; Supply Chain, sure; Devaluation of the Dollar, sure; --- which all lead to Inflation for sure! We citizens are just along for the roller coaster ride. Hopefully, this inflation won't become rampant/runaway.

So, not at all unexpectedly... our new and used astro hobby gear is going up in price.    Tom

You missed Tariffs, and container costs which are up dramatically.

• Rollo, redskynj and PatrickVt like this

#7 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 21 October 2021 - 08:29 PM

Prices on at least some Astro-Tech products at Astronomics are going up on January 1st.

#8 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Cumberland, Maryland, USA

Posted 21 October 2021 - 08:53 PM

Prices on at least some Astro-Tech products at Astronomics are going up on January 1st.

I wonder if I can pre-order items that are currently out of stock?

#9 Napp

Napp

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Northeast Florida, USA

Posted 21 October 2021 - 09:07 PM

I wonder if I can pre-order items that are currently out of stock?

Check with Astronomics. They sent out a mailing about placing orders now vs waiting. Ask them.

#10 hcf

hcf

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 October 2021 - 10:33 PM

I’ve never owned a telescope before, but I have browsed around for one a few years ago. I was recently interested in buying an 8”-10” dob for my first telescope now that funds are available and I noticed that prices seem to be higher than what I remembered. I also noticed there is only one dob being sold second hand locally for ~$700 with very few accessories. Is this all part of the manufacturing shortage or whatever it is that’s going on? I could've sworn the 8" used to go in the $300 range or am I wrong?

As a reference point, I bought my 8" Zhumell (GSO) Dob (with accessories) at a Black Friday sale in 2016 for $350, it was normally $400 then.

Zhumell has since mostly disappeared, but the same GSO Dob (with accessories) is being sold as the Apertura AD8. As far as I remember it had gone up in price to $450-$500 until the pandemic hit in 2020.

Now it is $650-$700 !!! The accessories are almost the same as the Zhumell, the AD8 has an extra 35mm extension tube to make it easier for 30mm EP to come to focus.

Edited by hcf, 21 October 2021 - 11:42 PM.

#11 Anony

Anony

Viking 1

• Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 22 October 2021 - 02:00 AM

Prices are kind of nuts right now.

Not only is everything more expensive, but many scopes are out of stock... and sometimes used priced are kind of crazy too.

It seems like about a year ago 8" dobs were $400 or so... (basic model). Now a classic skyquest 8" goes for $560. 6"ers were $300, now $420. Even the 4.5" model goes for $330. AWB went up $50 as well.

The only place I see where prices remained the same is at Costco... 10" dob for $600... 3.5" refractor for $160. But I can't say if they are good models or not.

I'm glad I got my 8" dob used at a really good price over the summer... lucked out on a local deal. I guess new people should look for a rare sale, warehouse deal, or hope to find something cheap locally. Or expect to make their wallets cry.

I remember last year around BF, the Costco dob went on sale... I guess if the OP wants a 10"er, and if that model is decent, it's worth keeping an eye on. At least it's better than paying $700 for a used dob.

Edited by Anony, 22 October 2021 - 02:04 AM.

#12 drotto25

drotto25

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 October 2021 - 11:45 AM

Most of the increased costs are due to a massive increase in shipping costs. Shipping container cost are up 5 to 10 x what they were a few years ago. This causes increases in both production and destination costs.

#13 FFNPMcD

FFNPMcD

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Richmond, Va.

Posted 22 October 2021 - 12:03 PM

As others have said, not only have prices increased, (and i guess continue to for a while longer) available inventory is lower. Lots of 'out of stock' and delayed showing up on lots of the websites.

I was able to order the apertura AD8 from High Point Scientific earlier in the week. They said they had several in stock. It was delivered within days. Couldn't be happier with the experience.

You could always search Marketplace or craigslist.. I saw several telescopes there, but due to the delicate nature of the instruments, I found myself reluctant to make offers, not knowing how they were handled.

#14 Eggzactaly

Eggzactaly

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2021 - 12:37 PM

I’ve checked offer up, Craigslist, and Facebook. I saw one xt8 and the rest were nothing that really stood out. I’ll continue browsing second hand listings for now to see what pops up as well as try to learn more from this site while waiting. 

• MikeHC8 likes this

#15 belliott4488

belliott4488

Ranger 4

• Loc: MD, US

Posted 22 October 2021 - 07:20 PM

I just sold an XT8i for $680. It was more than I thought I’d get for it. But when I checked the comparables I had to list it there and see what happened. Based on the response I got, I should have listed it a bit higher.

I have to believe that when everyone gets their scopes a lot of people are going to lose interest and in 2025 there are going to be some steals out there

I've been waiting to see when the people who started into astronomy because of the pandemic (and there are a lot of us!) start to unload their gear. It's already started somewhat, but so far I've mainly seen people who dropped $6000 on a complete astrophotography rig in June of 2020, and by June 2021 they were ready to move on and sold the entire rig for $4000. 

It's not too surprising that someone who can spend a few thousand bucks on a new hobby that quickly will walk away from it just as quickly. I'm more interested in the people who spent six months to a year gathering gear as they sought to learn where their interests might lie. It will take them longer to realize it if it's not really right for them, but then there are bound to be some who will start to sell off that expensive gear they bought. And if enough of them do it, it might be a buyer's market for a while.

At least, that's what I'm hoping for! wink.gif

Edited by belliott4488, 22 October 2021 - 07:20 PM.

#16 Rollo

Rollo

Apollo

• Loc: Florida

Posted 22 October 2021 - 10:14 PM

Good quality telescopes prices have always been relatively expensive, you might say.   I bought my first scope in 1987, a used Meade 8in. SCT for $1200 !   Used !   $1200 was alot of money back then and still is today for some people.    

• spaceoddity likes this

#17 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 23 October 2021 - 03:28 PM

My 8" Meade LX200 was $2149 in 1993.

With inflation only, that's $4080 today.

Today's 8" LX200 is as little as $2599.

It has gotten a lot cheaper than it was back then.

In comparison, an 8" dob like the Orion XT8 is $529-$649.

That is really inexpensive.  You can pay more for some eyepieces.

• doctordub, Rollo, spaceoddity and 1 other like this

#18 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Voyager 1

Posted 23 October 2021 - 06:13 PM

There isn’t much discount in buying used right now. Currently, you don’t buy second hand to save money really. You buy second hand and pay 90% of retail with no return policy because the product is sold out and back ordered six months on three continents. If you can find what you want available retail, that might be the better value.

Scott
  • Rollo likes this

#19 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 23 October 2021 - 08:45 PM

The 4.5" Orion SkyQuest XT4.5 Dob has gone up in price $100 since the supply chain problem arose, an increase of 40%.

https://telescopicwa...escope-reviews/

https://www.telescop...pe/p/102009.uts

#20 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

ISS

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 25 October 2021 - 06:19 AM

My 8" Meade LX200 was $2149 in 1993.

With inflation only, that's $4080 today.

Today's 8" LX200 is as little as $2599.

It has gotten a lot cheaper than it was back then.

In comparison, an 8" dob like the Orion XT8 is $529-$649.

That is really inexpensive.  You can pay more for some eyepieces.

This is a very important perspective. Although telescopes are more expensive now than 10 years ago, they're still much cheaper in real terms -- and often even in dollar terms -- than they were 25 years ago. Which, in turn, is much cheaper than they were in real terms 50 years ago, when many of us were starting out in the hobby.

• SteveG likes this

#21 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 25 October 2021 - 08:00 AM

I don't think they are, its more imagination than .......

#22 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 25 October 2021 - 10:14 AM

I don't think they are, its more imagination than .......

Will you ever finish a sentence?

I started full time work in 1970, and worked for $50/week plus tips (I typically earned $60/week).

About then, I bought a 4" Unitron for $899.  I saved a long time for that.

That was about 15 weeks of income for me.

Today, you can buy an equivalent 4" achromatic refractor for $529 + $150 for a motor = $679.

$679 today is the median income's 4 days expense.

Not only have equivalent telescopes gotten cheaper in numerical price, and radically cheaper in inflated dollar value, but they are also easier to purchase.

So it's not imagination.  There are those of us who distinctly remember when everything was a lot more expensive, both in real dollar value and our abilities to purchase.

• SteveG and Battlestamps like this

#23 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 25 October 2021 - 10:53 AM

Will you ever finish a sentence?

I started full time work in 1970, and worked for $50/week plus tips (I typically earned $60/week).

About then, I bought a 4" Unitron for $899.  I saved a long time for that.

That was about 15 weeks of income for me.

Today, you can buy an equivalent 4" achromatic refractor for $529 + $150 for a motor = $679.

$679 today is the median income's 4 days expense.

Not only have equivalent telescopes gotten cheaper in numerical price, and radically cheaper in inflated dollar value, but they are also easier to purchase.

So it's not imagination.  There are those of us who distinctly remember when everything was a lot more expensive, both in real dollar value and our abilities to purchase.

By not finishing it keeps me out of trouble and lets the reader use their own .........  Ones imagination can do / say funny things sometime  If you want to look at the 'bang for the buck' then there is  I have dealt with a lot of sonar gear since about 1977 when I built my own module, you do get a tremendous increase in capabilities since then for the

Edited by LDW47, 25 October 2021 - 10:58 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics