•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Eye placement of 4mm delite compared to other premium brands

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 iseegeorgesstar

iseegeorgesstar

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: New York

Posted 21 October 2021 - 07:01 PM

Hello,

So I received my 4mm delite today. First delite ever and really first premium eyepiece ever. And besides it's "bulky" size (compared to my orthos :p -- apparently the delites are quite small) but besides size what stood out to me was eye placement of having to hover about half an inch above the eyepiece. I'm finding I personally dont like such viewing configurations at all. What I like about my 12.5mm fuji kk orthos is that I can just put my eye into it and there the image is. (I suspect that I have recessed eyes? The IF on my oberwerk binos tends to be like -2.5 I think with one eye going a bit further in than the other so -2.5 and -2.7 say)

I need to add regarding the delite that i was testing in daylight and perhaps night time will yield different results when my pupils are adapted.

And so assuming the eye placement is more a factor of the design of the eyepiece and not it's short focal length. I'm very curious to try other semi-wide premium eyepieces in the 3-4-5mm range. So I'm wondering what the eye placement of the pentax xw 5mm looks like and also maybe the morpheus 4.5mm?

#2 f74265a

f74265a

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 October 2021 - 07:23 PM

Move up adjustable eyecup.
It has 20mm eye relief
  • esd726, John Huntley, Neptune and 3 others like this

#3 iseegeorgesstar

iseegeorgesstar

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 October 2021 - 08:29 PM

I noticed there was some extending thing going on and I didnt yet read the instructions it came with. I will try the adjustment. Thank you!

#4 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Voyager 1

Posted 21 October 2021 - 09:27 PM

Yes hovering an inch above eyepiece is what LER eyepieces are all about. Glasses wearers keep the eyecup down to allow room for glasses. Non-glasses wearers adjust the eyecup up, or buy Naglers.

Scott
  • CeleNoptic, 25585 and iseegeorgesstar like this

#5 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 21 October 2021 - 11:55 PM

I noticed there was some extending thing going on and I didnt yet read the instructions it came with. I will try the adjustment. Thank you!

When all else fails, read the manual.
LOL.
The eyecup can be raised so high that you need to bury your eye in the eyecup to see the field.
  • CeleNoptic, KJL, Miranda2525 and 1 other like this

#6 CrazyPanda

CrazyPanda

Gemini

Posted 22 October 2021 - 01:19 AM

Adjusting the eye guard is very easy:

https://www.youtube....h?v=gn2sS8OXr9w

I keep mine retracted when storing it in the case to save space, but I usually adjust it outward about 1/4" to 3/8" as I'm lifting it to put in the focuser.

• Neptune and iseegeorgesstar like this

#7 CeleNoptic

CeleNoptic

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mid-Atlantic, Bortle 7

Posted 22 October 2021 - 02:10 AM

I need to add regarding the delite that i was testing in daylight and perhaps night time will yield different results when my pupils are adapted.

I have no doubt in the night you'll get different experience. The eye pupil  is constricted significantly by the daylight.

And so assuming the eye placement is more a factor of the design of the eyepiece and not it's short focal length. I'm very curious to try other semi-wide premium eyepieces in the 3-4-5mm range. So I'm wondering what the eye placement of the pentax xw 5mm looks like and also maybe the morpheus 4.5mm?

As for the eye placement of the 5mm XW, it's quite comfortable, IMO, but you also should adjust the eye guard height if necessary. And you might be (unpleasantly) surprised how bulky it is compared to your Orthos and even to your Delite. But as usual, there is no free lunch, it's a trade off for its excellent image quality, wider FOV and eye comfort smile.gif

• iseegeorgesstar likes this

#8 iseegeorgesstar

iseegeorgesstar

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2021 - 04:12 PM

Yes hovering an inch above eyepiece is what LER eyepieces are all about. Glasses wearers keep the eyecup down to allow room for glasses. Non-glasses wearers adjust the eyecup up, or buy Naglers.

Scott

LER eyepieces? Long eye relief? Raising the eyecup as someone instructed on here helped. However still only daytime tests so far. I'm very curious to compare the delite to my bst planetary. 

When all else fails, read the manual.
LOL.
The eyecup can be raised so high that you need to bury your eye in the eyecup to see the field.

Well the card that came with the eyepiece only provided a link to said manual. And i was way too tired to go searching for such a thing.

Yes I raised the the thing all the way up and that was way too tight. Somewhere in the middle seems best. 

Adjusting the eye guard is very easy:

https://www.youtube....h?v=gn2sS8OXr9w

I keep mine retracted when storing it in the case to save space, but I usually adjust it outward about 1/4" to 3/8" as I'm lifting it to put in the focuser.

Thank you for the link!

Yeah I feel like this thing barely fits in the bolt case it came with and it's already in retracted mode. It definitely has a high quality look to it. 

I have no doubt in the night you'll get different experience. The eye pupil  is constricted significantly by the daylight.

As for the eye placement of the 5mm XW, it's quite comfortable, IMO, but you also should adjust the eye guard height if necessary. And you might be (unpleasantly) surprised how bulky it is compared to your Orthos and even to your Delite. But as usual, there is no free lunch, it's a trade off for its excellent image quality, wider FOV and eye comfort smile.gif

Still waiting to try it out on Jove and his father. 

So must high quality eye pieces seem to have this feature then? There's always a tradeoff with everything it seems, I'm learning. 

#9 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Voyager 1

Posted 22 October 2021 - 04:29 PM

Yes LER is long eye relief.

Adjustable eyecup is hit and miss. A lot of eyepieces just have rubber eyecup that folds up or down. Some like Baader Morpheus have eye guard extensions you can buy. Price doesn’t seem to be a major driver. A $90 Xcel LX has adjustable eyecup but a $700 Ethos doesn’t. Meade Series 5000 UWA series does, their ES clones don’t. $370 Delos or $255 Delite does but not $320 Nagler. There might be more long ER eyepieces that have adjustable eyecup. Note TV Delos and Delite do, Panoptic, Nagler and Ethos don’t. Less need for adjustable eyecup if eyepiece has less ER.

Scott

#10 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors

Posted 22 October 2021 - 04:38 PM

If you mean a long eye relief that requires you to raise the eyecup, then be aware that not all high quality eyepieces have long eye reliefs.

To the interminable complaints of glasses wearers who want all eyepieces to be compatible with glasses, most are not, and do not require tall eyecups that raise up.

For example, ALL the 100-120° eyepieces out there are incompatible with glasses and you would find them fine to use without.

And not one of them has an eyecup that raises any higher than simply flipping the rubber eyecup to the up position.

As I see it, about 400 of the roughly 1250 eyepieces in the buyers guide are glasses-compatible, which means 850 are not,

so if raising the adjustable eyecup is too much trouble, there are lots of choices.

It's not a tradeoff if you wear glasses to observe, only if you don't and you either have to raise the eyecup or hover at a distance (which, by the way, isn't hard if you simply sit to observe).

• f74265a likes this

#11 f74265a

f74265a

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 October 2021 - 05:05 PM

Figuring out one’s preferred eyecup position is not that time consuming. The planetary image with delite may or may not be better than your ortho. May well not be. But you gain substantial tfov plus that eye relief that some people really like. I hate using short focal length plossl and ortho eyepieces

#12 rksturm

rksturm

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Suburban Chicago

Posted 22 October 2021 - 05:46 PM

Tele Vue's own DeLite instructions suggest for non-eyeglass users to adjust the eye relief housing all the way out at first.  Then gradually adjust it inward to where you see the full field out to the field stop.  You can decide if you prefer having the rubber eyecup extended or folded down in combination with the eye relief housing position.

Tele Vue also warns that you should only adjust the eye relief housing using the two textured rings on the housing and not grab the lower barrel section of the eyepiece - you might begin to unscrew the the eyepiece barrel.  I have been guilty of this - it's easier than it sounds!

Anyway, I think you will enjoy the view through your 4mm DeLite at nighttime.

- Bob S.    

• esd726 and 25585 like this

#13 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the SW UK. 51°N

Posted 22 October 2021 - 08:54 PM

Pentax XW, Nikon NAV SW & Vixen SLV are long eye relief ranges with height adjustable eyecups. 

#14 CeleNoptic

CeleNoptic

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mid-Atlantic, Bortle 7

Posted 22 October 2021 - 10:20 PM

So must high quality eye pieces seem to have this feature then? There's always a tradeoff with everything it seems, I'm learning. 

As others explained above not all high quality, but mostly those EP lines that targeting eyeglasses wearers category of observers. And the Pentax XWs and the TV Delites are among those LERs with adjustable eye guards.

#15 MarMax

MarMax

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 October 2021 - 11:02 AM

Hello,

So I received my 4mm delite today. First delite ever and really first premium eyepiece ever. And besides it's "bulky" size (compared to my orthos tongue2.gif -- apparently the delites are quite small) but besides size what stood out to me was eye placement of having to hover about half an inch above the eyepiece. I'm finding I personally dont like such viewing configurations at all. What I like about my 12.5mm fuji kk orthos is that I can just put my eye into it and there the image is. (I suspect that I have recessed eyes? The IF on my oberwerk binos tends to be like -2.5 I think with one eye going a bit further in than the other so -2.5 and -2.7 say)

I find that "hovering" does not work for me regardless of the eyepiece, especially with a 4mm. Find the adjustment position that allows you to rest on the eyeguard and you'll be much happier. And if you like the views and the "bulk" is still bothering you then de-cloak it. Just scroll up to Don's Post #3 for more on de-cloaking.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics