•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Eliminate the use of Stellarium Scope

Celestron Mount SCT Software
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 sandconp

sandconp

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Minnesota USA

Posted 21 October 2021 - 07:11 PM

I just installed ver 0.21.2 coming from 0.18 of Stellarium which required me to have to use Stellarium Scope as a Plugin.  One of the reasons I migrated is because I was told that I no longer needed Stellarium Scope that 0.21.x now supports ASCOM natively.  Version 0.21.x of Stellarium works fine with Stellarium Scope but I want to stop using it.

What do I have to configure for this to work without using the remote plugin (natively) in Stellarium ver 0.21.2?

I am using Celestron's CPWI as the ASCOM Driver for my deep sky imaging control along with Stelllarium to slew to my DSO's.

#2 barbarosa

barbarosa

Gemini

• Loc: 139 miles W of the Awahnee Hotel

Posted 21 October 2021 - 09:25 PM

Install the ASCOM and the ASCOM driver for your mount.

Open Stellarium and select the main menu.

Select Configuration

Select the Pulgins tab

Select Telescope Control

Select Configure, select wrench Icon,

Under Telescope controlled by: select ASCOM

Under Telescope properties: name the scope and select the coordinate system

Under ASCOM settings select your mount. The ASCOM Telescope Chooser opens for you to do that.

Don't forget to save.

#3 Wilsil

Wilsil

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Perth, WA AUSTRALIA

Posted 21 October 2021 - 10:02 PM

What he ^ said.

If you use NINA, you can select your target in Stellarium and import the coordinates into NINA for framing.

#4 sandconp

sandconp

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2021 - 11:45 PM

What he ^ said.

If you use NINA, you can select your target in Stellarium and import the coordinates into NINA for framing.

I have just started to use NINA and I agree that I would not need to use Stellarium anymore to control the mount since I would be using NINA to do that.  I would only use Stellarium for framing and send the coordinates to NINA for framing and I got that to work.

I just like having multiple options in case something breaks.

Thanks.

#5 sandconp

sandconp

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 October 2021 - 12:15 AM

Install the ASCOM and the ASCOM driver for your mount.

Open Stellarium and select the main menu.

Select Configuration

Select the Pulgins tab

Select Telescope Control

Select Configure, select wrench Icon,

Under Telescope controlled by: select ASCOM

Under Telescope properties: name the scope and select the coordinate system

Under ASCOM settings select your mount. The ASCOM Telescope Chooser opens for you to do that.

Don't forget to save.

That worked great.  I did not go down far enough on the screen to choose the ascom profile.  It's nice not to have use Stellairum Scope anymore !

#6 buckeyestargazer

buckeyestargazer

Vendor - Buckeyestargazer.net

• Vendors
  • Loc: IN, USA

Posted 22 October 2021 - 10:46 AM

I'm glad for this too.

Question, is there a mount connection button somewhere on the main screen, or do I always have to go into Configuration/Plugins/Telescope Control/Configure to connect the mount?  Seems like there ought to be a connection button on the main screen but I didn't see one.

#7 Iver

Iver

Mariner 2

• Loc: Monterey County,Ca.

Posted 22 October 2021 - 11:05 AM

Just select the option  "connect at start-up" in the telescope configuration.

#8 buckeyestargazer

buckeyestargazer

• Vendors

Posted 22 October 2021 - 11:15 AM

I saw that, but I don't really want it to connect at startup.  I guess I could do that and just not actually unpark the mount in the ASCOM driver that pops up, but this seems like an in-elegant way to do this.  That's what I'll do for now.  I just think it would be nice to have a dedicated button on the main screen.  

#9 buckeyestargazer

buckeyestargazer

• Vendors

Posted 22 October 2021 - 11:23 AM

Yeah so I just discovered a problem with this.  If the mount (AP1100GTO) is not powered on when starting Stellarium, the AP ASCOM window pops up but since there is no power to the mount the ASCOM driver gives an alert.  At that point I cannot close the ASCOM driver with the X in the upper right corner.  I have to go into Task Manager to kill it.  I have noticed this before with the AP ASCOM driver and it seems strange that I can't close the window unless there is actually power to the mount.  

Sometimes I use Stellarium without gear powered up or connected, so this is an annoyance.  I'll probably ask the AP ASCOM author about this.  

#10 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Cosmos

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 22 October 2021 - 11:39 AM

Yeah so I just discovered a problem with this. If the mount (AP1100GTO) is not powered on when starting Stellarium, the AP ASCOM window pops up but since there is no power to the mount the ASCOM driver gives an alert. At that point I cannot close the ASCOM driver with the X in the upper right corner. I have to go into Task Manager to kill it. I have noticed this before with the AP ASCOM driver and it seems strange that I can't close the window unless there is actually power to the mount.

Sometimes I use Stellarium without gear powered up or connected, so this is an annoyance. I'll probably ask the AP ASCOM author about this.

On the AP driver double click where it shows the client count. Then you can close it.

#11 buckeyestargazer

buckeyestargazer

• Vendors

Posted 22 October 2021 - 11:44 AM

On the AP driver double click where it shows the client count. Then you can close it.

Wow, I never knew that before.  Thanks.

• rockstarbill likes this

#12 sandconp

sandconp

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 October 2021 - 09:30 AM

I got everything to work without the use of Stellarium Scope.  Thanks for all your input.

#13 06AwzIyI

06AwzIyI

Mariner 2

Posted 25 October 2021 - 09:42 AM

I would not need to use Stellarium anymore to control the mount since I would be using NINA to do that.

Nina is great for the final framing and setting up your sequence but it's integrated planetarium wasn't designed to replace a real one. You'll still want to use the telescope control plugin in stellarium to navigate to, find targets, display your scope position at any given time, etc...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron, Mount, SCT, Software

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics