•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

from my balcony

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 zoltrix

zoltrix

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 October 2021 - 07:11 PM

hello

I live on the fourth floor
May I expect a benefit of using a screen around my mount and scope against the light pollution due to the street lamps ?
any significant improve of SQM value ?

#2 rblackadar

rblackadar

Ranger 4

• Loc: Northern California (Mt. Tam)

Posted 21 October 2021 - 08:15 PM

If any of the lights shine into the opening of your scope or its dew shield (even obliquely) then it will definitely help to block them somehow. But overall, I think SQM is more a problem with the forest, not so much the individual trees.

However that may be, blocking nearby lights will help maintain the dark adjustment of your eyes, no small matter. For that, it may help to observe while wearing a hood, and perhaps wear red goggles when not observing.

#3 zoltrix

zoltrix

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2021 - 06:23 AM

thanks for your reply
actually I was thinking of astrophotography so the dark adjustment of my eyes is not that important for me
I live about 300 mt far away from the raylways station
along the rails there is a sort of lighthouse almost as high as my balcony ,it is not just a tree it is a californian sequoia smile.gif
should I somehow partialy block such strong side light, might I expect a significant benefit for photography ?
anybody in a similar situation ?

Edited by zoltrix, 22 October 2021 - 06:24 AM.

#4 Kendahl

Kendahl

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Pinedale, Arizona

Posted 22 October 2021 - 01:24 PM

How steady is your balcony? Astrophotographers operate at an image scale of a few arc-seconds of sky per camera pixel. Even tiny vibrations will ruin a photograph. A good test would be to insert an eyepiece that provides the same field of view as your camera and stamp your feet on the balcony. If you don't see any vibrations in the image, your balcony is stable enough for photography. If you do see vibrations, you may be able to get by if you walk softly but you can expect to lose many images due to other sources of vibration.

#5 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators
  • Loc: montana

Posted 22 October 2021 - 06:38 PM

actually I was thinking of astrophotography

It would be best for you to post this question in the Beginning Deep Sky Imaging. 

#6 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

ISS

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 22 October 2021 - 07:58 PM

hello

I live on the fourth floor
May I expect a benefit of using a screen around my mount and scope against the light pollution due to the street lamps ?
any significant improve of SQM value ?

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. There is no such thing as "SQM value." The SQM (Sky Quality Meter) is a particular device manufactured by a particular company. When used properly -- which would probably be physically impossible from your balcony -- it measures skyglow, the amount of light being scattered by the atmosphere down to your site.

Blocking nearby lights will have little or no effect on skyglow. But if some of that ambient light gets into your telescope, it may have undesirable effects. In theory, this can be completely prevented by baffling inside the telescope itself, depending greatly on the telescope design. In practice, blocking the ambient light can't hurt and might help.

#7 zoltrix

zoltrix

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2021 - 12:49 PM

I own an Unihedron photometer type L with 20 degree angle
why should it be impossible to use it from my balcony ?
unfortunately I get a value 17-17.5 which makes astrophotography virtually impossible

#8 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Vanguard

Posted 23 October 2021 - 01:17 PM

I'd be thinking about an EAA setup in your situation.

#9 zoltrix

zoltrix

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2021 - 06:36 PM

definitely but even EAA should be almost impossible, I suppose

#10 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators
  • Loc: montana

Posted 23 October 2021 - 07:11 PM

Folks, if you wish to discuss particular methods of imaging, please post in the forum that is for discussion of the method.

This forum is about LP and how it can be reduced; not imaging.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics