•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

1st light Sky Watcher 100ED New Mount

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cigtech

cigtech

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Dallas

Posted 21 October 2021 - 09:10 PM

Hey Guys,

My new mount came in today. I went with the Sky View Pro. Man this mount is a lot bigger then I thought it would be. But it is rock sold. Even when focusing or slowing the scope I did not have much vibration movement in the eyepiece. For now I just have the mount (no got). But I will be adding it at a later date. With the Sky Watcher 100ED I only needed the 7.3 lbs counter weight. 

As for the Sky Watcher 100ED, WOW. I had the C4-r and I thought it was every good. But next to the 100ED. It's like a dime store scope. Viewed Jupiter and Saturn. On Jupiter I could see 5 moons. The details in the cloud Bands where outstanding. The colors in the cloud bands where every vivid. In viewing Saturn I could see the Cassini division and details in the cloud band as well. I could see Hyperion, Titan and Rhea in the 5mm 58 deg eyepiece that came with the scope. I do like the 2 eyepieces that came with the scope. The other eyepiece is a 25mm.

Here is the set up so far

Attached Thumbnails

• SW 100ED SVP mount small.jpg

• tog, SteveG, Lewis Cason and 10 others like this

#2 PKDfan

PKDfan

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Edmonton

Posted 21 October 2021 - 10:55 PM

Welcome to the Evostar world cigtech!

Mine is absolutely world class!

I use 20mm T2 20mm Nagler amd 6.5mm Morpheus most often.

I am seriously considering a 6mm Ethos for slightly better image scale for 150×, should be perfect for lunar observing, a passion.

Enjoy the new scope as she is a beaut.

Clear skies & Good seeing

Edited by PKDfan, 21 October 2021 - 10:55 PM.

• Castor and therealdmt like this

#3 tog

tog

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Front Yard

Posted 21 October 2021 - 11:36 PM

Very nice Cigtech! My 100ED SW also rides on the SkyView pro mount. I own two of these mounts. Once with drive motors and the other with the goto system. The mount is real easy to convert to whichever you choose. You made a good choice with this setup.

• Castor, therealdmt and Bridgehouse like this

#4 therealdmt

therealdmt

Apollo

• Loc: 35° N

Posted 22 October 2021 - 02:38 AM

Congrats on getting your 100ED mounted and riding! That's a sharp looking setup, too -- the look of the mount really suits the 100 ED cool.gif

I was just viewing M77, the Cetus A galaxy, last weekend with my 100ED, and it was a special moment for me, taking in those 47 million year old photons out by the old stone wall at the side of our house. It was faint in the moonlight, but still visible in averted vision.

I love that scope. 

Seeing 5 moons of Jupiter would be exceptional. Amalthea is the next largest after the 4 Galilean moons, but being much smaller and dimmer (magnitude 13.9 currently) than those and never straying too far from the bright (magnitude -2.42) planet, I've read that it's a very challenging observation. If you made it, double congratulations for sure!

• Castor likes this

#5 AhBok

AhBok

Gemini

• Loc: Lakeland, TN

Posted 22 October 2021 - 12:40 PM

Congratulations. My SW100ED rides on an EQ6R Pro mount at home. I just received a SW AZ5 with the HD tripod for quick peeks and travel. The steel legs definitely provide a stable platform for the OTA. My favorite eyepiece with the 100ED is the ES14 82deg. The OTA is an incredible bargain considering the views through it.
  • Castor and therealdmt like this

#6 cigtech

cigtech

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2021 - 09:42 PM

Tanks. I guess we could start a 100ED club lol.gif . No real this scope is out standing. Can't wait to get the goto system on the mount and start getting back into astro photos going again.

• Castor likes this

#7 tog

tog

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 22 October 2021 - 11:29 PM

Tanks. I guess we could start a 100ED club lol.gif . No real this scope is out standing. Can't wait to get the goto system on the mount and start getting back into astro photos going again.

Cigtech, 

did you check out this thread?

• Castor, therealdmt and cigtech like this

#8 cigtech

cigtech

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2021 - 01:49 PM

Thanks I will read over that link.

I did just notice something about the mount. The Pro Polar Alignment Scope Hole in the mount is blocked on the liens side of the mount. Looks like by a rounded off piece of metal. If I install a Polar Scope will I have to remove this piece?

Attached Thumbnails

• mount ploar scope hole (2).jpg

#9 tog

tog

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 23 October 2021 - 02:31 PM

Thanks I will read over that link.

I did just notice something about the mount. The Pro Polar Alignment Scope Hole in the mount is blocked on the liens side of the mount. Looks like by a rounded off piece of metal. If I install a Polar Scope will I have to remove this piece?

If you turn the scope (dec axis) and aim it towards the East or West the polar alignment scope will no longer be blocked. 

Edited by tog, 23 October 2021 - 02:33 PM.

• SteveG and Castor like this

#10 cigtech

cigtech

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2021 - 02:45 PM

I see, While doing the polar alignment. The scope has to be turned 90 deg so the scope will not be blocked. You know real men don't read instructions lol.gif. thanks for the info

• tog and therealdmt like this

#11 Reid W

Reid W

Apollo

• Loc: Shreveport, LA

Posted 23 October 2021 - 04:05 PM

When we lived in Valley Ranch in the 1990s, it seemed that planetary views were more stable than here in Shreveport. I always enjoyed the planetary views the 90 gave.

Sky Safari has some terrific lists that are well suited to your environment.   Carbon Star, colored doubles lists are available or  you can database select, like doubles brighter than 7, between 1.8 and 2.5" and generate a list to keep you busy.

• Castor and cigtech like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics