•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron c6 refractor on Meade starfinder

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jsg

Jsg

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Northern Sierra Mountains, 4,000 ft.

Posted 21 October 2021 - 09:28 PM

For sale locally for $500. Good setup? Fair price?

Thanks

Jeff G

#2 vtornado

vtornado

Aurora

• Loc: 42N 88W

Posted 21 October 2021 - 09:43 PM

Is this a pedestal mount?

http://astromart.com...25/284286-1.jpg

I have bought and sold the c6 f8 for around $400 for the tube with rings and dovetail.

The mount looks nice and beefy,  probably fairly valuable.

These scopes are excellent low and medium powered tools.

Jupiter/Mars I did not like, too much CA. 

But that is a reflector mount.  If your scope is pointed high in the sky the eyepiece will be nearly on the ground.

Most refractor mounts are tall so the eyepiece is at a good height when the scope is pointed up.

I don't mind (in the summer) but you might.

Edited by vtornado, 21 October 2021 - 09:44 PM.

#3 Jsg

Jsg

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 October 2021 - 10:07 PM

Photo of mount, believe it's a GEM

00h0h_bEWfHb7dPcpz_0ak07K_600x450.jpg

• Castor and RichA like this

#4 vtornado

vtornado

Aurora

• Loc: 42N 88W

Posted 21 October 2021 - 10:40 PM

Could be the same mount head moded to be on a pier and tripod.

So now it is workable as far a height.

That is a lot of weight on the tripod, it better be strong.

I would guess this is a 70-80 lb rig.

Are you a new bee?  This is a lot of scope.  Setup and take down will take awhile.

Forget about having to move the scope if you have to tree dodge. 

Now you need someone who knows about the mount. (I don't)

Is the motor good?

Can you try before you buy?

If so I would test settle time.  Try focusing an see if you can focus without the scope shaking all over.

flick the end of the scope while looking through it.  How long does it take to settle.

Looks like a pretty good deal.

Edited by vtornado, 21 October 2021 - 10:41 PM.

#5 RichA

RichA

Aurora

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 21 October 2021 - 11:09 PM

For sale locally for $500. Good setup? Fair price?

Thanks

Jeff G

I'd say good, $500 is nothing these days and it's a good combo for the price for undemanding observing or basic planetary photography.

• petert913 and Echolight like this

#6 Jsg

Jsg

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 October 2021 - 11:23 PM

Thanks for your responses. I can't afford a good apo, but as a newbie I want to try a reasonably good refractor to compare with my 12" dobson. But if this is a 70 lb setup I may need a forklift...  Anyone want to suggest a lighter way to go for a first refractor that is better than a Xmas scope?

#7 Echolight

Echolight

Gemini

• Loc: Texas

Posted 22 October 2021 - 09:25 AM

In spite of the CA, if you can stand to ignore it, the C6R still delivers high contrast. And I’ve seen more details on every planet with the C6R than I have with either an 8 inch dob or an 8 inch SCT. 
Of course this could just be dumb luck that involved better seeing and much more time behind the eyepiece of the refractor.

On deep sky, the bigger scopes offer a bit more reach and a scant amount more nebulosity. But the refractor resolves the 6 stars  in the Trapezium and is fantastic on open clusters.

Vega and Spica are colorful, but still beautiful. Sirius looks like it’s exploding! The terminator of the Moon at 360x is real nice.

That mount looks like a beast. I’d say $500 is a good deal.

#8 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 22 October 2021 - 06:08 PM

500 sounds ok if all is in good shape. If the mount is high enough it will be fine for a 6" F/8 as it is top heavy. Deep sky is very good but the moon and planets are not for me in a 6" F/8 Achro.  That is a 90's made Meade Starfinder mount for the 6 thru 10" Newts they sold.  It is a much better mount for a 6" F/8 ACHRO than a smaller CG5 size mount.

Edited by CHASLX200, 22 October 2021 - 06:10 PM.

#9 ThusSpokeZarathustra

ThusSpokeZarathustra

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 October 2021 - 03:53 PM

That’s a nice combination from the looks of mount, the wood tripod especially. However, the C6R is an achromat as previous eluded to. Thus, it’s good for deep sky but not so much on planetary. A C6R is really a telescope who have been in the hoppy for a while and want a second scope (generally). Does seem like a good rig for $500 if the picture is what it looks like. Nonetheless, the C6R is a large and heavy scope + your adding a reflector equatorial mount = a primary rig, not a portable one. By itself alone, $500 for what is on offer is a great deal and I would take it, the mount alone with the tripod is worth $500 if it works, the refractor is basically free. Furthermore, due to the scarcity of astronomy gear, your not going to find a telescope rig equal to it in the near future and the mount would be a great asset if you expand your telescope collection. On the other hand, since you’re new, relatively, and you already have a 12” dobsonian, the C6R will not do anything that the dob can to better. Go for it if you want the mount and tripod. Otherwise, if you have the available expense, get a telescope analogous to my Starwave 102 F/11. It’s not as good as the C6R on deep sky however, it will preform better at planetary and double stars and would be a better companion to your dobsonian as it will be superior in contrast and allow higher magnification with the same eyepieces. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics