•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help a newbie trying to figure out his Iexos 100 and platesolving(ASPS)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Volta55

Volta55

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: CT

Posted 21 October 2021 - 09:55 PM

Hi all! 

I am new to using my new EQ mount, and trying to Platesolve ( because I am currently too cheap to buy a polar scope haha ) and the polar hole is terrible to work with. 

Here are some cliff notes of my failed night

(Gear: Nikon D5200, Iexos 100 mount, ExploreStars app, All Sky Plate Solver, Backyard Nikon, Dell laptop)

-Set up the gear ( level tripod, wireless udp connection with Ascom mount and other apps on the laptop, powered up mount )

- Set a rough polar alignment through the polar tunnel ( It is really hard for me to get it in the "corner" of the tunnel for a more accurate polar alignment; its so small and dim in these skies )

-Pointed to Polaris to plate solve. I did a 20 sec exposure. and I followed this video to a tee https://www.youtube....h?v=53_mLYNkarE

- I kept getting this error (picture of error) https://i.imgur.com/1S2AVGR.jpg when trying to solve then sync. 

- I also tried numerous times manually inputting the coordinates that the ASPS solve gave me, then slewing to that coord, and it would be off by a good amount.

I know I am screwing up something... But I feel like I am very close to actually using this mount for imaging! 

Fire away 

-Jordan

#2 D_talley

D_talley

Skylab

• Loc: Albuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 21 October 2021 - 10:57 PM

I would make sure you have all of the ASCOM drivers and software installed. That is what the error is referencing.

#3 Volta55

Volta55

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2021 - 11:51 AM

I know this sounds like an ignorant question, but do you know what I am missing? I've been wirelessly using the mount successfully, and connecting to the mount successfully. I really thought I had everything installed and set up properly.

#4 Meghan

Meghan

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 22 October 2021 - 03:01 PM

I know this sounds like an ignorant question, but do you know what I am missing? I've been wirelessly using the mount successfully, and connecting to the mount successfully. I really thought I had everything installed and set up properly.

Have you tried the pmc8 group at
https://espmc-eight.groups.io/g/MAIN

#5 Volta55

Volta55

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2021 - 05:33 PM

Hi Meghan. Yes I did post in that forum as well
Thanks

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics