•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

IOptron CEM70 w/iPolar vs. CEM70EC

Beginner EAA Astrophotography Mount
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JTNX01DC

JTNX01DC

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Pepperell, MA

Posted 21 October 2021 - 10:29 PM

I'm looking to get an iOptron 70 and wondering just exactly what you get for the extra $1,500 in the EC version. I expect to use a LiteRock tripod but am open to alternatives.

Currently starting w/EAA but suspect it will devolop into full blown astrophotography in time. The mount is going to be supporting an 8" SkyWatcher Quattro + accessories. 

Edited by JTNX01DC, 21 October 2021 - 10:31 PM.

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 21 October 2021 - 10:41 PM

I had this decision when I got my CEM60.  Which is what I got.  Cost was not a factor.

I'm a big fan of iOptron.  But their implementation of precision encoders is rudimentary.  With most mounts, it's just on RA.  There's no complicated sky model. like on something like a 10Micron.  It matters.

So, EC is of limited usefulness.  I guide the CEM60, and that works well.

• F.Meiresonne and JTNX01DC like this

#3 JTNX01DC

JTNX01DC

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2021 - 10:53 PM

I've heard that the iGuider can also be of limited usefulness depending on what scope one uses. Any truth in this?

#4 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 21 October 2021 - 11:31 PM

I've heard that the iGuider can also be of limited usefulness depending on what scope one uses. Any truth in this?

All I can say is that opinions on the iGuider vary.  In many cases it simplifies.  I don't like things that may cease to work if I change my setup.

#5 Linwood

Linwood

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Ft Myers, Florida, USA

Posted 22 October 2021 - 01:38 PM

I haven't followed ioptron closely lately but the CEM70"G" with G for guider was mostly about better USB setup thru-mount.  The iGuider was largely pointless for the type of imaging load for which most people would by a CEM70 vs CEM40.  Its optics were mediocre, the focus was an exercise in frustration that left you wanting to pound it with a hammer.  But I was pleased with the USB improvements the "G" had.

I never had experience with ioptron encoders, but from reading I echo @bobzwq25's thoughts: Encoders, done right, are great.  Doing it right costs a LOT of money, and ioptron price for them shows no indication they are investing in really good encoder implementations.  If you are guiding, I would pass, especially if only on RA (on DEC at least you get rid of all backlash). If you really want unguided imaging... maybe.

• bobzeq25, JTNX01DC and Fitz8710 like this

#6 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Cosmos

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 22 October 2021 - 03:32 PM

I had this decision when I got my CEM60.  Which is what I got.  Cost was not a factor.

I'm a big fan of iOptron.  But their implementation of precision encoders is rudimentary.  With most mounts, it's just on RA.  There's no complicated sky model. like on something like a 10Micron.  It matters.

So, EC is of limited usefulness.  I guide the CEM60, and that works well.

I second that, CEM60 guided, works really well.

• bobzeq25 and JTNX01DC like this

#7 JTNX01DC

JTNX01DC

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 22 October 2021 - 07:19 PM

Thanks for the input! When you say guided, do you mean iGuide or using your own guidescope?

#8 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 22 October 2021 - 10:11 PM

Thanks for the input! When you say guided, do you mean iGuide or using your own guidescope?

Usually with my own guidescope.  When I'm using my long focal length scope, a TE 130 F7, I use an off axis guider.  Both systems work about as well.

I wasn't tempted by EC.  When I got my mount iGuide did not exist, but I wouldn't be tempted by it either. 

But, note that I got a CEM60 5+years ago, and have been very pleased.  I have no other equipment that old.  I think it's still the best lightweight mount (25 pound head weight) there is.  At the time I got ir, I could have afforded a Paramount or an AP, they were too heavy for this old man.  <smile>  The CEM70 no doubt is better, and only weighs a bit more.

It started as a setup I setup/tore down in my backyard every imaging night.  It now sits on a portable pier in my observatory, has traveled to a total eclipse and Bortle 1 skies outside a cabin.  The only thing that's ever failed was the on/off switch (!), iOptron sent me a new board, and replacement instructions.

Edited by bobzeq25, 22 October 2021 - 10:15 PM.

• F.Meiresonne and JTNX01DC like this

#9 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Cosmos

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 23 October 2021 - 02:19 AM

I use a guide scope. Also with the TS 130 mm F/7 which Bob happen to own also . Guidescope  60 mm F=280 mm with ASI 290 mm guide camera. As i never had guide issues sofar i assume this is a good combo.

Weight is for me also an issue. CEM60 is just over 12 kg but still quite managable, EQ6+ types are allready 16 kg.

High end mounts  are always at least 25 kg , i can't manage that...

Edited by F.Meiresonne, 23 October 2021 - 02:22 AM.

• bobzeq25 and JTNX01DC like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beginner, EAA, Astrophotography, Mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics