•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

High Saturation 97.7% Waning Gibbous | Oct 21 2021

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 22 October 2021 - 12:02 AM

Heya,

I was clouded out for the full moon yesterday, or near full for my location. I had to settle for what I was able to get tonight, at 97.7% (98%) illuminated waning gibbous in high saturation.

51617004908_c2994471e3_b.jpg

Equipment:

200mm F6 Newtonian

IMX183 Color Sensor

Baader MPCC Mk III

And then I got clouded out within minutes.

Lunarsetup_10212021.jpg

Very best,

• John_Moore, james7ca, photomagica and 3 others like this

#2 james7ca

james7ca

Voyager 1

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 22 October 2021 - 01:05 AM

Marty, was this drizzled? The reason I ask is that at full size there are stacking/processing artifacts around some of the brighter features (crosshatch pattern). I normally only see that on lunar images that have been drizzled.

• MalVeauX likes this

#3 astro rocketeer

astro rocketeer

Viking 1

• Loc: Valencia, CA (Los Angeles)

Posted 22 October 2021 - 02:15 AM

Beautiful Marty!

• MalVeauX likes this

#4 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 22 October 2021 - 08:06 AM

Marty, was this drizzled? The reason I ask is that at full size there are stacking/processing artifacts around some of the brighter features (crosshatch pattern). I normally only see that on lunar images that have been drizzled.

No drizzle, I noticed the weird artifact around a few specific features too. I usually lower deconvolution and then increase unsharp mask in IMPPG, and noticed this. I captured with a QHY IMX183 OSC sensor in FireCapture and had to do a two part mosaic, I aligned and stacked in AS!3 with no drizzle or anything other than debayer and RGB channel align. This went into IMPPG for the luminance processed (low deconvolution, high unsharp mask). The non-IMPPG result went into Registax 6 and had the RGB align done there and nothing else. Took the color image into CS5.1 and did another channel alignment then pushed saturation (I do a small saturation layer and simply duplicate it 10~13 times) then do a final saturation layer with higher vibrance and a contrast layer to finish the color. No other routines used. I then put the IMPPG B&W image over this color image as a luminance layer. Not sure where the pattern artifact introduced, oddly at the craters in some places. I saw this too after doing it but wasn't sure which step introduced it to the data. It's only noticeable when pixel peeping of course, so I just left it alone. Plus no one really cares about moon shots lol.

Very best,

Edited by MalVeauX, 22 October 2021 - 10:47 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics