•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Bringing an ODYSSEY 1 (13.1") back to life....

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 clusterbuster

clusterbuster

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Tampa Bay, Fl.

Posted 22 October 2021 - 12:20 AM

Hi All,

I have aquired for $200 an ODYSSEY 1 (13.1" f/4.5) (red tube)...

I have already painted it Blue....

I am sending the Mirror out to be ReCoated and Dennis Steele @ DobStuff is going to make me a Mirror Cell for it. Dennis does excellent work...

I am going to put a 2" Crayford focuser on it..

I am getting new Gimbals made (nice solid wood, with Mica strips on them to replace the old particle board ones), luckily for me, I have a friend that owns his own cabinet shop...

The 13.1" f/4.5 should give me some beautiful views from the Dark Sky site...

I have viewed through it already and (after a long acclimation time), I was seeing nice Star Images through it, (even though the 36 year old Mirror is in definite need of a recoat)....

As some of you know, the way that the Mirror was mounted in these Telescopes was well, you would have to see it to believe it...

However, hats off to Coulter Optical because they offered large aperture Telescopes at very good prices.

I bought the original Blue (box/tube) 13.1 " back in (I think 1982 or so), and despite it being so bulky and awkward, I have very fond memories of BIG BLUE.....

244875495_4748244131875885_6326929703085912933_n.jpg

There is something that I really enjoy about restoring old telescopes...

Mark

Edited by clusterbuster, 22 October 2021 - 12:35 AM.

• paul, deepwoods1, mdowns and 9 others like this

#2 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Voyager 1

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 22 October 2021 - 05:29 AM

Nice! Here are some pictures of my old 13.1 Odyssey. It was the first ~big~ scope that I enjoyed.    Tom

~click on~ >>>

Attached Thumbnails

• 56 Tom's old Coulter Odyssey 13.1 scope.jpg

Edited by TOMDEY, 22 October 2021 - 05:31 AM.

• paul, deepwoods1, mdowns and 2 others like this

#3 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Slidell La

Posted 22 October 2021 - 07:22 AM

Good Morning Mark!  Congrats on your recent purchase of your Odyssey my friend. I'm very familiar with Coulter Optical. I have one of their custom mirrors the 14 1/4 inch f/7 full thickness with matching secondary. .The scope to be built  would be my second as the first one was lost during Hurricane Katrina in 2005. Our friend Mel's 10inch fork mounted  scope also has a coulter as its primary..I like the color you chose to paint it. You should get great views with it., and your modifications would make it even better.Adding a Crayford focuser is an excellent  idea. Keep us informed on the progress of your work! . Again a great acquisition waytogo.gif waytogo.gif . Gary 

• clusterbuster likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics