•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Moon with a 12inch dob

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AstroPharma

AstroPharma

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2021 - 01:49 AM

Hello CN,

While I was out last night doing some visual observation, I remembered that I had my laptop and ASI120mc in the car with me. I thought “May as well” …. slewed towards the full moon and tried to capture some images. Of course, not once did I consider the small sensor size of my camera, settled on an iPhone pic instead.

My question, is there a way, DYI or otherwise, to get around this issue and take full moon pics with the setup described above?

Thank you all and here’s the pics from last night. (Saturn with ASI cam and the moon using my phone)😁

24_7babd366-2eff-4661-90c6-235169c3b6de.

24_779e4579-94bf-4b87-bdea-04295ad91857.

• Ittaku and Borodog like this

#2 Borodog

Borodog

Gemini

Posted 22 October 2021 - 12:05 PM

The 120 is a really tiny chip. The only thing you could do is shoot a bunch of panels and stitch a mosaic, and the results would probably not be very good. You could try a reducer, but frankly I don't know that there are any really good designs for reducing a Dobsonian on the market; they are already so fast they need coma correctors (another reason the mosaic option would not be good; the coma free field is even smaller than the tiny sensor).

My advice is to (a) get a coma corrector, and (b) use a DSLR or mirrorless camera. For a 12" Dob an ASP-C sized sensor should get the whole Moon.

Edited by Borodog, 22 October 2021 - 12:05 PM.

#3 AstroPharma

AstroPharma

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 November 2021 - 10:42 PM

The 120 is a really tiny chip. The only thing you could do is shoot a bunch of panels and stitch a mosaic, and the results would probably not be very good. You could try a reducer, but frankly I don't know that there are any really good designs for reducing a Dobsonian on the market; they are already so fast they need coma correctors (another reason the mosaic option would not be good; the coma free field is even smaller than the tiny sensor).

My advice is to (a) get a coma corrector, and (b) use a DSLR or mirrorless camera. For a 12" Dob an ASP-C sized sensor should get the whole Moon.

Thank you for your response.

I tried using my DSLR but I can’t get enough inward travel to reach focus. It is very frustrating as I can almost reach focus. Another problem to solve.

Clear skies,

Ali.
  • Borodog likes this

#4 Borodog

Borodog

Gemini

Posted 02 November 2021 - 04:11 PM

Thank you for your response.

I tried using my DSLR but I can’t get enough inward travel to reach focus. It is very frustrating as I can almost reach focus. Another problem to solve.

Clear skies,

Ali.

A common problem. The solutions seem to be either (a) move your mirror cell farther up in the OTA, or (b) get a mirrorless camera (I use a Sony a6000) that has a lower flange focal distance.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics