•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

OSC - R channel focusing priority?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Terata

Terata

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2021 - 03:20 AM

Capture.PNG

Hi, 

I noticed something for the first time recently with an image of the Bubble nebula with ASI533mc OSC and Sharpstar 61EDPH using the Optolong L-eXtreme filter and the ZWO EAF for autofocusing. When I split the channels it appears that R is more out of focus when compared to G and B

I have seen some old threads about this but none of them really offer any kind of solution. Has anyone found a smart way of focusing with priority assigned to the R channel, the channel with the stronger signal for imaging emission nebula? 

Br Alan

Integration Image with channel split, RGB in that order. 3 hrs integration time

Edited by Terata, 22 October 2021 - 03:25 AM.

#2 bulrichl

bulrichl

Ranger 4

• Loc: La Palma (Canary Islands)

Posted 22 October 2021 - 04:00 AM

Focusing according to the R channel will not fix the problem, then the G and B channel will be out of focus.

The specification of the ZWO ASI533MC says that the protect window in the camera is only an AR (anti-reflective) window. You will have to use a UV/IR cut filter additionally in order to cut off wavelengths > 700 nm.

Bernd

• ks__observer likes this

#3 Terata

Terata

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2021 - 09:12 AM

I am using the Optolong L extreme dual band filter so unless there is leakage of other wavelengths with the filter I would have thought that adding a UV IR cut would not make a difference.
Alan

#4 imtl

imtl

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Down in a hole

Posted 22 October 2021 - 11:40 AM

This has nothing to do with uv-ir cut. It is about the CA of your optics and the fact that you use an OSC.
  • ks__observer likes this

#5 bulrichl

bulrichl

Ranger 4

• Loc: La Palma (Canary Islands)

Posted 23 October 2021 - 04:29 AM

I am using the Optolong L extreme dual band filter so unless there is leakage of other wavelengths with the filter I would have thought that adding a UV IR cut would not make a difference.
Alan

Sorry, I missed the fact that you used a narrowband filter.

Bernd

#6 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 28 October 2021 - 06:56 AM

Something is off here. Red should not be that blurry. Is this the doublet version of the 61?

#7 ks__observer

ks__observer

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York

Posted 28 October 2021 - 02:16 PM

This has nothing to do with uv-ir cut. It is about the CA of your optics and the fact that you use an OSC.

+1

#8 RogeZ

RogeZ

Vanguard

• Loc: Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Posted 28 October 2021 - 07:59 PM

Yep. This is exactly what CA does.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics