•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

double star journal download problems

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tdfwds

tdfwds

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2021 - 05:25 AM

Can anybody get either of the links here to work, I keep getting 404 error?

http://www.jdso.org/

I know most folk here likely won't care about this journal, although I have seen the name of the author in the current edition used on this forum in the past, and see posts by him.

Its editor change has led to things being a bit awry at times with late editions and the like, but this is a first.

I've tried several browsers and deactivated ALL security measures (like cookies off, blocked social media in hosts, ad blocker, even spoofed the user agent as most "your browser is out of date messages" are bunkum and the sites still work, they just won't be able to spy on you as readily as browser security is pathetic since social media) but I really think the files are actually missing as I can't even find them with wget using the direct url, but I can get older editions so wget ain't blocked.  I've found files that someone forgot to link to before by extrapolation of the naming formula, but dead links on very fresh links is a new one.

What's the use of folk publishing if nobody can read what they've published?

Then again, it could just be my setup, so I'm asking.  Thanks upfront for any feedback.

#2 fred1871

fred1871

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 22 October 2021 - 07:10 AM

What appears to be part of the journal comes up, only 1 item listed. Clicking gets the 404 error.

Looks as if they've not loaded the thing properly. May sort out in a few days (hope). If a few people drop them a note it may encourage a quicker fix....

#3 tdfwds

tdfwds

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2021 - 08:03 AM

What appears to be part of the journal comes up, only 1 item listed. Clicking gets the 404 error.

Looks as if they've not loaded the thing properly. May sort out in a few days (hope). If a few people drop them a note it may encourage a quicker fix....

Thanks, appreciated!

I've got a bit of an email situation at the moment and I couldn't find any sort of feedback form for it so I thought I'd be cheeky and ask somewhere at least partway relevant, as I have had over secure settings give me download hassles before, though fortunately rarely, and I wanted to get rid of the red herring.  You usually get kneejerk responses of "what browser/OS you using" from sites as blaming those and claiming you need latest version of chrome or something is quicker than them looking, I suppose (though admittedly that's more a retail and service and state sites' failing).

Oh, I missed a bit.  The one item link appears to suggest that that paper has a LOT of pages, about the same as the whole journal normally has, so the current issue may well be a WK special as he's been known to do the occasional big study, I think something nearly similar (though with one or two other authors) happened once before.

Edited by tdfwds, 22 October 2021 - 08:08 AM.

#4 Rich5567

Rich5567

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Hornsea. East Yorkshire. England. U.K

Posted 23 October 2021 - 12:06 PM

Also a 404 error for me too.

#5 tdfwds

tdfwds

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2021 - 09:44 AM

Also a 404 error for me too.

Thanks Rich.  Still same dead link here.  Maybe nobody reads it anymore if no-one is griping.  Or maybe you have to be in the USA to get at it, but I don't think they give 404 errors in those cases, and a simple webproxy work around via a USA server made no difference.  You'd think the author'd be a bit peeved at least.

I can't be bothered to sort out a general email account to chase 'em up, I notice I've not missed only having the private one, most fora worth anything are echoed or archived online, so I'll just add it to the list of disappeared newsletters it's not worth bothering to try to read anymore.  There's often nicer images in the demiannual Spanish journal anyway.

#6 wrvond

wrvond

Soyuz

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 27 October 2021 - 10:03 AM

Both links are still producing 404 reports for me, as well. The only point of contact I could find on the entire website is Richard Harshaw, so I sent him an email reporting the problem.

Just discovered that Rachel Freed appears to be the webmaster so I am sender her an email as well.

Edited by wrvond, 27 October 2021 - 10:08 AM.

#7 tdfwds

tdfwds

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2021 - 10:12 AM

Both links are still producing 404 reports for me, as well. The only point of contact I could find on the entire website is Richard Harshaw, so I sent him an email reporting the problem.

Just discovered that Rachel Freed appears to be the webmaster so I am sender her an email as well.

Thanks for the update!

Definitely "just not there" then.

#8 wrvond

wrvond

Soyuz

Posted 27 October 2021 - 11:15 AM

Just got a reply - they are working to get the links fixed.  waytogo.gif

#9 tdfwds

tdfwds

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2021 - 12:04 PM

Just got a reply - they are working to get the links fixed.  waytogo.gif

; )  Great stuff, cheers!

(I'm a bit fed up of nagging folk (I've nagged 'em afore), besides yer get a bit of a, somewhat negative, name for yourself after a while if you do it too much).

#10 wrvond

wrvond

Soyuz

Posted 02 November 2021 - 09:31 PM

The link to the article is working, though the pages are numbered weird.

#11 tdfwds

tdfwds

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 November 2021 - 09:48 PM

The link to the article is working, though the pages are numbered weird.

Thanks!  I'd just about given up on it.

I see the whole issue link only gives the contents page again instead of the whole issue as stated, but the article link works, it being a sole article edition.

re the page numbering.  It's done by volume, a bit like many professional journals.  Four volumes a year (mostly, at one a quarter year, but some years specials/"extras" creep in).  Which means that it starts fresh numbering every year in the January issue and that numbering continues until year end.  I you look at the end of the last issue the page number will likely be 295.  I suppose technically the reference for this one is JDSO 17, 296 (for volume number 4, and the 4 not mentioned).  I haven't looked at it yet, so I'm guessing that's what you are meaning, and not that they've missed out page numbers or got some upsidedown or back to front or out of order or something.

Cheers

• wrvond likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics