•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Seeking feedback on a game to help us learn, visually, the Messier Catalog

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Louisville, Kentucky

Posted 22 October 2021 - 05:55 AM

I've been trying to come up with a game to help me learn to identify, visually, the objects in the Messier Catalog. Would you help me test it please? There's nothing to install and you can play it on any device with a web browser. I think I've settled on setting it up with 10 levels (11 objects in each level). The sequence is designed to feature some of the more spectacular objects first, based on my theory that they will be more recognizable. It's free of charge to play - and you don't even have to register. It moves as fast as you want it to move. I've completed level 1 - I think - but you be the judge. It should only take you 2 minutes to play it and you're welcome to tackle it multiple times until you make a perfect score. (You'll have to answer "no" when it recognizes you - then choose a new nickname.) You'll also have the chance to copy and save a link so that, after the 3 days, you can come back and see how you did. The top 3 players will be recognized "on the podium." (This game uses the Kahoot framework - so you'll likely recognize it.)

In your feedback, please be gentle (haha). I'm probably a closet low-self-esteem guy. But, of course, our goal is to make it better so -- would you give constructive and critical input on my first go at it? Remember, this is a beta test.

messier_game_graphic.jpg

https://kahoot.it/ch...0_1634898782003

Your mission, if you decide to accept it, would be to play the game, try to learn to identify the objects (I'm guessing everybody here will ace it first time), and report back here in this thread - all during the next 3 days and 5 hours from now. The goal is to make the game better. Would you try it please?

Remember, each successive level will be a notch higher in difficulty. No matter what level of experience, as the game progresses, we hope to make it challenging.

Either way, thanks for your help! Remember - you only have 3 days to try it.

Doug

• dcornelis and Woodsx like this

#2 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 October 2021 - 05:25 PM

Maybe I'm making this game too hard. Maybe it should have been multiple choice rather than write-in. I guess, after this round wraps up, I'll re-do it. Very few have tried it - and, among those who did, it seems super-difficult for most.

#3 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 24 October 2021 - 07:53 AM

I got the first one, and quit while I was ahead.smile.gif

#4 Woodsx

Woodsx

Sputnik

• Loc: Middle of Nowhere Montana

Posted 24 October 2021 - 12:16 PM

Took a peek at it, for a newbie like me to the Messier Catalog, multiple choice is definitely needed.  Could be a fun learning tool though.

#5 BoriSpider

BoriSpider

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: S.W.FLA

Posted 26 October 2021 - 10:57 AM

Funny I was recently checking out some Godot game engine tutorial videos and an astronomy game would be a thing I would try and make. I see I'm not alone. I think I'm to late to check this one. Maybe I'll be able to catch it next time around.

• EmeraldHills likes this

#6 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 October 2021 - 10:38 PM

Ready for level 2? 

https://kahoot.it/ch...0_1635651289825

Game pin: 0265625

Be sure to play by noon on Nov. 2. 

I decided just to leave these levels as "recall" instead of recognize so that we would learn them well. I recognize that this is quite difficult - but I noticed that the more I drilled on Level 1, the better I knew the objects. If you'd like to try level 1 again, here's another 3-day window:

Level 1:

https://kahoot.it/ch...0_1635651473915

Game pin: 05276284

Good luck!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics