•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Adapter to put modern Celestron mount on older field tripod?

Celestron Mount Tripod
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 belliott4488

belliott4488

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: MD, US

Posted 22 October 2021 - 06:35 AM

A buddy of mine has a C8 from the early '90s on a Super Polaris EQ mount and wooden tripod. He wants to try astrophotography, so I'm helping him find a more suitable mount.

(NOTE: I've warned him that starting into astrophotography with a C8 is not an easy route, but he's determined, and I don't want to discourage him too much.)

He's been given an older Celestron field tripod by another friend. This is one of the ones with black tubular legs and a spreader that has three vertical vanes, and I believe it would have been used with a wedge and U-mount. It's got a central bolt surrounded by six holes around the perimeter, alternating threaded and unthreaded.

If we can find him a mount capable of tracking with his C8 - like maybe a CGEM - are there any existing adapters that will let him put it on this tripod, or will he have to make one himself?

#2 firemachine69

firemachine69

Viking 1

Posted 22 October 2021 - 06:54 AM

The question is... Why? The cgem came with its own tripod...

#3 belliott4488

belliott4488

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 22 October 2021 - 08:31 AM

The question is... Why? The cgem came with its own tripod...

1. Someone local is selling a CGEM head without a tripod.

2. He was given this tripod for free, so he might save some costs if he can get a mount head by itself. If he finds a decent mount with a tripod that he can afford, then he can always return this tripod to his friend or pass it to someone else.

#4 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Gemini

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 22 October 2021 - 08:59 AM

A buddy of mine has a C8 from the early '90s on a Super Polaris EQ mount and wooden tripod. He wants to try astrophotography, so I'm helping him find a more suitable mount.

(NOTE: I've warned him that starting into astrophotography with a C8 is not an easy route, but he's determined, and I don't want to discourage him too much.)

He's been given an older Celestron field tripod by another friend. This is one of the ones with black tubular legs and a spreader that has three vertical vanes, and I believe it would have been used with a wedge and U-mount. It's got a central bolt surrounded by six holes around the perimeter, alternating threaded and unthreaded.

If we can find him a mount capable of tracking with his C8 - like maybe a CGEM - are there any existing adapters that will let him put it on this tripod, or will he have to make one himself?

I don't think anyone is offering an off-the-shelf solution for your matchup.  There is a quick inexpensive way to do it and a more expensive way.   The quick way is a piece of black walnut or other very dense hardwood. Make a template for the tripod and one for the base of the CGEM and transfer them to the wood.  Drill the holes with countersinks and use proper sized inserts. You can then attach them together.   If you can find a good 3/4-1" thick aluminum plate you can make this adapter and drill/tap for the mounting points.   The more expensive option is to take the tripod and mount to a local machine shop and have them make an adapter. 

#5 belliott4488

belliott4488

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 22 October 2021 - 09:15 AM

I don't think anyone is offering an off-the-shelf solution for your matchup.  There is a quick inexpensive way to do it and a more expensive way.   The quick way is a piece of black walnut or other very dense hardwood. Make a template for the tripod and one for the base of the CGEM and transfer them to the wood.  Drill the holes with countersinks and use proper sized inserts. You can then attach them together.   If you can find a good 3/4-1" thick aluminum plate you can make this adapter and drill/tap for the mounting points.   The more expensive option is to take the tripod and mount to a local machine shop and have them make an adapter. 

Thanks - that confirms exactly what I was thinking, but I wanted to check in case there was an easy off-the-shelf solution that I didn't know about.

As it happens, the previous owner of the tripod had done exactly what you described - drilled appropriate holes in a wooden disc for whatever head he was using - so we already have a template for that.

There are many options for my friend to consider. The main hurdle to get past will be deciding what level of investment of time and money he wants to put into this. That's hard for anyone but him to determine.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron, Mount, Tripod

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics