•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Skywatcher AZ5 Deluxe Mount Azimuth Control Not Working

Mount Equipment
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 midasjohn

midasjohn

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2021 - 06:57 AM

I bought a new Telescope and Mount several weeks ago, returning to the hobby after a decade. I had a small issue with the mirror on the Skywatcher 127 MAK, which I posted and have learned to live with. Bad weather had meant that last night was the first clear night I have had to get out. Now I find that the Azimuth Control on the Mount doesn't work and I am left feeling kinda "Made in China" .... but everything is these days anyway tongue2.gif

I guess there is always going to be something wrong with cheap equipment and I simply can't be bothered the hassle of shipping it back. All this fake scarcity and furlough handouts has left shipping an even bigger nightmare than usual. I can learn to live with it.

But I am confident that there are Equipment Master Fixers on this super Forum, that could fix this in a few minutes, right?

Would anyone be so kind as to point me in the direction of any tutorial about fixing this Mount?

There are two little screws and an allen key bolt (pictured) but I am terrified of opening anything up in case springs-n-things fly around and I'm left with completely non-working mount. I am NOT a DIY kind of guy, I am used to Digital and ... Pushing Buttons confused1.gif  I can change an Electrical Plug! cool.gif  

By the way, I removed the slow motion control and checked that the brass axle (is it called?) doesn't move the mount in azimuth .... It does nothing indeed, just turns and no movement in the mount head.

mounthead25.jpg

#2 Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson

Viking 1

• Loc: Stockholm, NJ

Posted 22 October 2021 - 07:52 AM

You may have the knurled knob, shown under the slomo knob too tight. Here is a link to the manual.https://teleskop-aus...df/AZ5_AZ-5.pdf

• midasjohn likes this

#3 midasjohn

midasjohn

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2021 - 01:55 AM

Thanks Chris. Alas, Sky-watcher's 'Manual' is worthless unfortunately confused1.gif Who actually makes Telescopes in USA, UK or Europe, anyone?

You may have the knurled knob, shown under the slomo knob too tight. Here is a link to the manual.https://teleskop-aus...df/AZ5_AZ-5.pdf

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mount, Equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics