•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need help identifying refractor

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Unknown_Scope

Unknown_Scope

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2021 - 06:59 AM

Hi everyone. This was my dads telescope, he never told me anything about it. I cant find any markings except a polaris cap and so far haven't been able to find any paperwork on it. It's quite huge, see the paint can to the left for reference, its gotta be 6-8ft long, maybe 7-9" in diameter. Everyone on the telescope reddit said post here and in the refractor section and that there's no serial number because its a prototype? I have found pictures from around the mid 90's of it being loaded into a moving truck. And I found an article from 1977 where he mentions his "big backyard" telescope, I'm assuming he had it then as well, he is Don Primi in the article the VP of Long Island Astronomical Society in those days. He was also in a newspaper article in 2007 with it saying it was 600lbs, I'm assuming that's the base? Which does roll. I measured the diamter and it's 7" and the main tube is 7ft long. The lens on the front has no markings as well. Anyway, just curious if anyone can help me identify this or point me in the right direction of 1. how to make sure it works (I don't know anything about astronomy, assuming lenses/mirrors need to be checked, no idea how to turn it on, etc) and 2. where and how to sell it/find a buyer for it if it is in good shape, which I think it would be, he took care of stuff. Thanks!

Heres an imgur link with a couple more pictures: https://imgur.com/a/w2uEBKc

fwuLdtk.jpeg

KzM9DUv.jpeg

Edited by Unknown_Scope, 22 October 2021 - 07:01 AM.

• mdowns, Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#2 MJB87

MJB87

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Talbot County, MD & Washington, DC

Posted 22 October 2021 - 11:49 AM

Moving to Refractors forum for a better fit.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics