•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Replacement (flat) objective cap for 1985 C8?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Borodog

Borodog

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 22 October 2021 - 07:45 AM

Will shortly be deforking my '85 C8 to install a mounting plate for use with my CGEM, where it will be swapped in and out with the 1100 EdgeHD. The original objective cover doesn't fit very well (have to store it with gaffers' tape on it to hold it in place) and has a large knob in the middle that will prevent the scope from being stored nose down on a flat surface. Does anyone make a flat replacement objective cover that will fit this scope?

Thanks in advance.

#2 B 26354

B 26354

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 22 October 2021 - 09:11 AM

I use one of these:

https://astrozap.com...ons/dust-covers

grin.gif

• Borodog likes this

#3 Borodog

Borodog

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 22 October 2021 - 08:36 PM

I use one of these:

https://astrozap.com...ons/dust-covers

grin.gif

Thanks but I don't think there's any way I would want a soft cover in front of the corrector plate.

• dpippel likes this

#4 B 26354

B 26354

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 22 October 2021 - 11:26 PM

Thanks but I don't think there's any way I would want a soft cover in front of the corrector plate.

Understood. I store my de-forked C8 in its locked case, surrounded on all sides with 2"-thick foam. I don't think there's any way I would want to store it standing upright on its corrector-plate cell.

grin.gif

• Borodog likes this

#5 Borodog

Borodog

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 23 October 2021 - 07:54 AM

Understood. I store my de-forked C8 in its locked case, surrounded on all sides with 2"-thick foam. I don't think there's any way I would want to store it standing upright on its corrector-plate cell.

grin.gif

Well nobody else has come forward with any other options, so maybe I'll get a "shower cap" like you suggested and make a "case" for the scope out of a plastic bin and foam.

#6 cneal

cneal

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 23 October 2021 - 08:11 AM

I use one of these padded bags for my SCT to store and transport in a car. Not overly expensive when compared to some bags. While it offers some protection it will not hold up to major abuse.

https://www.celestro...n-optical-tubes

Well nobody else has come forward with any other options, so maybe I'll get a "shower cap" like you suggested and make a "case" for the scope out of a plastic bin and foam.

Edited by cneal, 23 October 2021 - 08:44 AM.

• Borodog likes this

#7 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Waxahachie, TX

Posted 25 October 2021 - 01:21 PM

Of course if you owned a Meade of that vintage it would have come with a flat metal cover from the factory.  hehe  Just like both of mine.

Edited by dcaponeii, 25 October 2021 - 01:22 PM.

#8 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Apollo

• Loc: Saint Augustine, FL

Posted 28 October 2021 - 07:41 AM

Will shortly be deforking my '85 C8 to install a mounting plate for use with my CGEM, where it will be swapped in and out with the 1100 EdgeHD. The original objective cover doesn't fit very well (have to store it with gaffers' tape on it to hold it in place) and has a large knob in the middle that will prevent the scope from being stored nose down on a flat surface. Does anyone make a flat replacement objective cover that will fit this scope?

Thanks in advance.

You can use a heat gun to gently warm the locking tabs and bend them out just a hair to make it fit snug again.  I can't remember but isnt the knob able to be removed? Can't remember if it was molded on or held with a screw.

• Borodog likes this

#9 Borodog

Borodog

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 28 October 2021 - 09:56 AM

You can use a heat gun to gently warm the locking tabs and bend them out just a hair to make it fit snug again.  I can't remember but isnt the knob able to be removed? Can't remember if it was molded on or held with a screw.

Don't have a heat gun. But the real problem is the non-flatness, not the non-snugness. The knob is molded in. Very annoying; there's absolutely no need for that knob, as the rim projects enough to grip it on the edge for removal. 

• gnowellsct likes this

#10 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 02 November 2021 - 07:48 AM

Take some cardboard. Make a two or three inch strip corresponding to the circumference of the front casting. Cut out a circle corresponding to the diameter to be covered.

Then get yourself a pile of duct tape of the color of your choice. Bend the long strip into a circle and join the ends together.

Then take the circular piece of cardboard and using generous quantities of duct tape make the circular strip join to the circle.

You now proceed to put as many layers on top of the whole thing as you have patience for. It will shape into a soft and very sturdy cap that will last for years. You can get the diameter right for a snug fit by putting more layers on the inside diameter of the long strip which is now circular.

The resulting cap will be waterproof, will stay on in a wind, strong enough to let you stand the scope on it, and certainly very water resistant to do though maybe not completely waterproof.

I used a pair of such caps for years on my 10-in Newtonian. They are much better than shower caps.

Edited by gnowellsct, 02 November 2021 - 07:49 AM.

• B 26354 and Borodog like this

#11 Tom M

Tom M

Viking 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 02 November 2021 - 01:00 PM

If you have access to a 3D printer with a large enough bed you could design/print one.

#12 Borodog

Borodog

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 02 November 2021 - 03:40 PM

Take some cardboard. Make a two or three inch strip corresponding to the circumference of the front casting. Cut out a circle corresponding to the diameter to be covered.

Then get yourself a pile of duct tape of the color of your choice. Bend the long strip into a circle and join the ends together.

Then take the circular piece of cardboard and using generous quantities of duct tape make the circular strip join to the circle.

You now proceed to put as many layers on top of the whole thing as you have patience for. It will shape into a soft and very sturdy cap that will last for years. You can get the diameter right for a snug fit by putting more layers on the inside diameter of the long strip which is now circular.

The resulting cap will be waterproof, will stay on in a wind, strong enough to let you stand the scope on it, and certainly very water resistant to do though maybe not completely waterproof.

I used a pair of such caps for years on my 10-in Newtonian. They are much better than shower caps.

This is actually a really good idea. I may give it a whirl.

• B 26354 likes this

#13 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Waxahachie, TX

Posted 04 November 2021 - 09:38 AM

In lieu of cardboard, which absorbs water, you might try foam sheeting instead.  1/2" foam for the front face and 1/4 for the perimeter.  For the front face you could even use 3/4" for added padding.  More as needed of course.

• B 26354 and Borodog like this

#14 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 04 November 2021 - 09:50 AM

I'm just passing it on. I first read about it here on CN.
  • Borodog likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics