•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best workflow for planetary imaging

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Vius

Vius

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2021 - 08:17 AM

Hi,

im newbie in planetary imaging, and I would understand best workflow for post processing.

I know that there are several software like PIPP, As!3, registax, Astrosurface.

many software are outdated, or better no update in last years.

I work well with photoshop, so what is best workflow for staking, alignment etc….?

thanks

#2 brlasy1

brlasy1

Ranger 4

• Loc: Texas

Posted 22 October 2021 - 08:22 AM

Hi,

im newbie in planetary imaging, and I would understand best workflow for post processing.

I know that there are several software like PIPP, As!3, registax, Astrosurface.

many software are outdated, or better no update in last years.

I work well with photoshop, so what is best workflow for staking, alignment etc….?

thanks

Siril has a pretty good workflow for basic planetary imaging, and it couldn't be simpler.  Search online and you'll see some tutorials.  

#3 GSBass

GSBass

Gemini

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 22 October 2021 - 08:36 AM

I won’t make any claims on best, but my workflow is

1) sharpcap for capture, default settings, moon 5ms, Jupiter 4ms Saturn 7ms, adjust gain to get histogram at around 45%

2) Astrosurface, I’ll usually go straight in to wavlets, afterwards I will use the other tools in that program to get as good an image as possible

3) topaz denoise ai…. This is still experimental, if used it is used at most conservative levels and even then it can be too much, but if you have excess noise it can be a valuable tool

4) at this point I save to the cloud and access the photos on my iPad, there are several apps I use depending on what I need to do before sharing, snapseed has an excellent white balance tool and it is also worthy to inspect their curves preset menu…. Just to give you a quick preview of how your photo reacts to various RGb curves. Leonardo is an older program good for text and borders and any compositing you would like to do, and finally just the default iOS photo editor is fine for just going down their list and making final adjustments.

5) at this point I’m sharing results, I upload the full res images to a astronomy group I’m in at MeWE and I have a image resize app that I’ll use to degrade the images to 500kb for here

fini

edit… MeWe does convert my images to jpeg I believe but keeps the resolution you uploaded so I still loose some lunar surface detail, if you don’t want to loose any detail at all then paysites are about your only option with external linking. Amazon photos claims to keep originals but can confirm they do not…. Something as fleeting as the alpine valley rille will disappear after upload. Hopefully this will change in the next few years, but every social media site seems to have their own version of what is acceptable…. Cloudynights being the worse

Edited by GSBass, 22 October 2021 - 08:47 AM.

#4 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Aurora

• Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 22 October 2021 - 09:57 AM

A third perspective, totally counter to the first two :)

Capture to SER  in FireCapture (autoguiding, autocenter, cutout) - this greatly reduces possible filesize

If I'm using a OSC cam, I usually capture a handful of 75-second SERs in raw mode

If I'm using a mono cam with RGB, usually a couple Rs, a handful of Gs and a couple Bs.  Or sometimes I go heavy on the Rs and Bs and skip the Gs altogether. It varies.

Stack each individual SER in AutoStakkert, usually with an aggressive (high) percentage - output is a series of TIFs

Sharpen each TIF 80% of the way in Registax - just before noise becomes objectionable - outputs are PNGs

Carefully adjust and measure the first PNG in Winjupos and save the measurement. No need to adjust for the others - it's a really quick F7/F2 for each

Derotate images in Winjupos (or colors, if R(G)B).

Tweak the result in AstraImage, particularly for saturation/vibrance as Winjupos can destoy these. Either more wavelets or simple deconvolution, ending with a slight denoise.

• Jaimo! likes this

#5 Borodog

Borodog

Gemini

Posted 22 October 2021 - 10:17 AM

Everyone's process is different.

These days I record in FireCapture, shoot 3 minute ser format videos for Jupiter, 5 for Saturn. I shoot at 30 fps (heresy, I know, but oh so easy on the file size and processing time). Stack in Autostakkert (usually higher percentages than I think others typically would use for the same data). A bit of color correction in GIMP, most of the rest in Astra Image, maybe a tiny tweak in paint.net.

I can't compete with the big boys around here in terms of quality (Kokatha Man, Ittaku, Tulloch, etc., other less frequent posters with monster scopes 14" and up) so I try to focus on making animations.

#6 GSBass

GSBass

Gemini

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 22 October 2021 - 10:37 AM

Yes, although I admire others… I just am in competition with myself to get the best I can with my equipment, my current kink in workflow is I take too many images…. It really does limit the amount of time your willing to spend on post processing, I think I still have sers from last session I have not processed yet but the main point of taking so many is there normally is a best one out of a batch, seeing does change rapidly

Everyone's process is different.

These days I record in FireCapture, shoot 3 minute ser format videos for Jupiter, 5 for Saturn. I shoot at 30 fps (heresy, I know, but oh so easy on the file size and processing time). Stack in Autostakkert (usually higher percentages than I think others typically would use for the same data). A bit of color correction in GIMP, most of the rest in Astra Image, maybe a tiny tweak in paint.net.

I can't compete with the big boys around here in terms of quality (Kokatha Man, Ittaku, Tulloch, etc., other less frequent posters with monster scopes 14" and up) so I try to focus on making animations.

• Borodog likes this

#7 tonyb

tonyb

Viking 1

• Loc: WA, USA

Posted 22 October 2021 - 10:54 AM

I record in FireCapture, 180sec color cam videos for Jupiter, 300 secs for Saturn.

Exposures in the 10ms 30ms range, histogram in the 40 to 80% range.

I use an x2 Barlow with an 8-inch f/10 and a ZWO 120 color cam, the combination of which contributes to the exposure, gain settings.

• GSBass likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics