•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Milky Way images with a moon?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 StuartT

StuartT

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Oxford, UK

Posted 22 October 2021 - 08:20 AM

I think I already know the answer to this, but is it possible to get decent Milky Way images when the moon is relatively full?

I have a dark sky site about half an hour away and I want to use a wide angle lens to get some wide field frames to stack. But the moon is close to full right now, so I assume that would cause problems. And I can't use a filter presumably as the Milky Way is a broadband target?

Thanks 

#2 DubbelDerp

DubbelDerp

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Upper Peninsula of Michigan

Posted 22 October 2021 - 08:29 AM

Bright moonlight with a wide angle lens makes for some nasty gradients... I think I'd wait until the moon is darker and choose a focal length and target that's more appropriate to shoot while the moon is full.

• bobzeq25 and StuartT like this

#3 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 22 October 2021 - 08:57 AM

You can get "something".  But you're far better advised to shoot the Milky Way on a dark night under dark sky.  Better use of your time.

I pretty much shoot only clusters in Moonlight.  They're the targets least affected.

• StuartT likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics