•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

TOA 130 Accessories

Accessories Eyepieces Refractor
  • Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#26 Sen

Sen

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 23 October 2021 - 12:55 AM

These eyepieces are not available anywhere. Luckily I was able to find one 31mm Nagler just listed on Astromart and I was able to get it. Now looking for a 17mm one (Ethos or the discontinued Nagler). I think with that will settle for now to enjoy the views, then refine it further. Thanks to you all for helping me get started.

• payner and leviathan like this

#27 noisejammer

noisejammer

Fish Slapper

• Moderators
  • Loc: The Uncanny Valley

Posted 23 October 2021 - 05:58 AM

Thank you for the comments. 

I have the 3.5” feather touch with the TOA and due to that I am unable to use the Tak finder that I used to use with my FS-78. I was thinking of couple of options but the Baader SkySurferV that you have highlighted is interesting to me. How do you attach it if you have the feather touch focuser. Can it be used optimally even if I do not have the Tak Finder?

Thanks

I have the Tak 7x50 finder and a Baader SkySurfer V. These are mostly used with my APM 115/805 which rides on a FTX V.2 mount. That said, I think the Antares 60mm RACI finder is a far better choice and it's less than half the price. I use the RACI with my TOA150.

Starlight Instruments offers a finder mount that can work with the FTF3545. Be sure to select the correct mounting plate.

My SkySurfer is mounted on a flat plate so that it is located near the altitude axis of rotation. This means I can look along the tube while using the rdf. The focuser has provision for two mounting plates so you could install a second focuser stalk.... but having it at arm's length is far more comfortable. 

• Sen likes this

#28 Deadlake

Deadlake

Messenger

• -----

Posted 23 October 2021 - 09:54 AM

I have the Tak 7x50 finder and a Baader SkySurfer V. These are mostly used with my APM 115/805 which rides on a FTX V.2 mount. That said, I think the Antares 60mm RACI finder is a far better choice and it's less than half the price. I use the RACI with my TOA150.

Starlight Instruments offers a finder mount that can work with the FTF3545. Be sure to select the correct mounting plate.

My SkySurfer is mounted on a flat plate so that it is located near the altitude axis of rotation. This means I can look along the tube while using the rdf. The focuser has provision for two mounting plates so you could install a second focuser stalk.... but having it at arm's length is far more comfortable.

Does starlight make a finder mount that works with a 60 mm finder, I thought it was 55 mm only?

Edited by Deadlake, 23 October 2021 - 03:32 PM.

#29 noisejammer

noisejammer

Fish Slapper

• Moderators

Posted 23 October 2021 - 12:16 PM

Does starlight make a finder mount that works with a 60 mm finder, I thought it was 60 mm only?

Sure - I'm using the version I linked to but there is also this one.

#30 Deadlake

Deadlake

Messenger

• -----

Posted 23 October 2021 - 03:31 PM

Sure - I'm using the version I linked to but there is also this one.

Sure, I was hoping for a 60 mm version of this one

http://starlightinst...&product_id=301

Correct alignment with EP.
  • Sen likes this

#31 noisejammer

noisejammer

Fish Slapper

• Moderators

Posted 23 October 2021 - 05:59 PM

The ID of the rings is about 64 or 65 mm. I installed my finder by unscrewing the hood & objective.

I just discovered that - although it was sold (to me) as a 60mm - the clear aperture is 50mm. When the hood is removed, the tube OD is 60/61 mm.

• Deadlake likes this

#32 Deadlake

Deadlake

Messenger

• -----

Posted 24 October 2021 - 07:32 AM

Other cheaper option for finder bracket

https://www.apm-tele...with-findershoe

#33 Sen

Sen

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 24 October 2021 - 02:55 PM

As I am reading about the finders to support the TOA-130, I was thinking about the FS78 I have and can I use it as a finder Scope. I see that there are ways to attach it and if add a low mag eye piece like 30mm Tak that I have, wold that work as a good finder. The weight it adds need to be considered as well but just wondering whether I can use FS78 as an effective finder scope or it is a bad idea. This is just that I have it and not I am looking to buy an Apo to do this job.

Thoughts?

#34 payner

payner

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Bluegrass & SW Appalachian Regions, Kentucky

Posted 24 October 2021 - 05:20 PM

Hi Sen: I have the same two refractors and your mount.  I can't imagine the load would be compatible with your EM-200.  I know it would the EM-400 because it "throws" my TOA-150B around effortlessly (it has an 85-lb rating and feel it'd likely handle 95 lbs no problem); whereas, the EM-200 would not carry the 150.

It is a good thought.  It'd really be an awesome combination that is certainly doable, just would need a more robust mount.  I have the Takahashi 7x50 finderscope with illuminator that I like very much.  Some people use the 50 mm Stellarvue finderscope, preferring the right angle viewing position.  If you could find one (used only as they are out-of-production), a Takahashi 11x70 finderscope would be great, too.

• Sen likes this

#35 Sen

Sen

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 24 October 2021 - 07:36 PM

Hi Sen: I have the same two refractors and your mount.  I can't imagine the load would be compatible with your EM-200.  I know it would the EM-400 because it "throws" my TOA-150B around effortlessly (it has an 85-lb rating and feel it'd likely handle 95 lbs no problem); whereas, the EM-200 would not carry the 150.

It is a good thought.  It'd really be an awesome combination that is certainly doable, just would need a more robust mount.  I have the Takahashi 7x50 finderscope with illuminator that I like very much.  Some people use the 50 mm Stellarvue finderscope, preferring the right angle viewing position.  If you could find one (used only as they are out-of-production), a Takahashi 11x70 finderscope would be great, too.

Thanks Randy. 

Yesterday, I got the adapter to fit my current eyepieces with the TOA and even with bad seeing, I took it out spent close to 4 hrs. There was obviously a big difference with this and the FS78. While scanning the sky (the seeing was not good as we had 80% clouds and stars were in and out), I happened to stumble on Pleiades and thats when actually I realized the beauty of this scope. When I was using the FS78, the Pleiades using 30mm LE would look like little more than what you see with the naked eye, 7 stars white in color and still compact. With the 130, through the scope with the same eyepeice, it was like scattered bright diamonds. In fact, I did not even realize that it was Pleiades and had to see the angle of the telescope to validate where I am looking. It was one of the most satisfying experience I had that evening, even though I saw Saturn a lot more closer than I have ever done before. That’s when I was thinking of using the FS78 as the finder as it gave pristine and more broader view.

I was doubting about the weight and was hoping there would some option but I do realize the limits of mount. Thanks for confirming it for me.

-Sen

• payner and blueskydown like this

#36 payner

payner

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Bluegrass & SW Appalachian Regions, Kentucky

Posted 24 October 2021 - 07:49 PM

Sen:  Very good to hear about your experience with your new telescope.  The purity of the images the TOAs provide put a smile on my face when I’m out using them. I enjoy the FS-78 for the pleasures of using a quality small refractor. Really nice for double star observing. 

• Sen and blueskydown like this

#37 Sen

Sen

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 01 November 2021 - 09:39 AM

Quick Update:

I was able to get the Nagler 31mm, Nikon 17mm and Baader Diagonal (thanks Randall). So I guess my quest for eyepieces is complete for the short term. 

I had a nice session yesterday with the 130 coupled with Nagler. I was able to view Jupiter and Saturn much better than before. Nagler was comfortable for me. I will be getting the Nikon today and looking forward to using it.

As I did not have a finder scope (on order), it was tricky to jump to different targets. This scope is so good that when I look through it I see so many stars that I am unable to align it with what I see with the naked eye, so struggling with the hopping. I need to learn the night sky more and hopefully getting the finder scope will help with that as well.

Anyway, wanted to provide an update on the items I got based on the suggestions provided by all of you.

Thank you

-Sen

• payner and PKDfan like this

#38 Sen

Sen

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 07 November 2021 - 04:56 PM

I received the Baader SkySurfer today. I tried to see how I can install it on my feather touch focuser (FTF3545) but unfortunately I do not have the screws matching that. The SkySurfer comes with the mounting plate but does not have the screws for it. Any thoughts on how I can get the screws compatible with the focuser.

The other option I have is to have the prima luce Losmandy plates attached on top of the rings and then have this SkySurfer attached to it but again, I need the screws to attach the plates to the rings and then the same for attaching the SkySurfer base plate. 

Any thoughts, how I can have this done without buying redundant parts.

Appreciate the help.

Thanks

-Sen

#39 noisejammer

noisejammer

Fish Slapper

• Moderators

Posted 07 November 2021 - 05:07 PM

... Any thoughts, how I can have this done without buying redundant parts....

I greatly prefer to locate my RDF about a metre in front of the eyepiece, usually a little in front of the altitude or declination axis. I find this to be a lot more comfortable.  I assume you have some sort of rings holding your scope - perhaps you could mount the SkySurfer on the further ring from you.

I install the RACI finder on a stalk on the focuser (I use an FTF3035 and 3545 for my primary refractors.)

It isn't clear why getting a few screws should be a challenge ... take the parts to your local hardware store and show them what you're trying to connect. I'm pretty sure they'll have exactly what you need and it'll only cost a few kopeks. smile.gif

#40 Sen

Sen

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 07 November 2021 - 05:27 PM

I greatly prefer to locate my RDF about a metre in front of the eyepiece, usually a little in front of the altitude or declination axis. I find this to be a lot more comfortable.  I assume you have some sort of rings holding your scope - perhaps you could mount the SkySurfer on the further ring from you.

I install the RACI finder on a stalk on the focuser (I use an FTF3035 and 3545 for my primary refractors.)

It isn't clear why getting a few screws should be a challenge ... take the parts to your local hardware store and show them what you're trying to connect. I'm pretty sure they'll have exactly what you need and it'll only cost a few kopeks. smile.gif

Thanks Bruce. I was little concerned with the feather touch focuser and getting the wrong length screws that could damage it. Having said that, with respect to getting the screws to use with the Losmandy plate and rings there should not be any concern, so I will take that route. :)

#41 noisejammer

noisejammer

Fish Slapper

• Moderators

Posted 08 November 2021 - 01:31 AM

Thanks Bruce. I was little concerned with the feather touch focuser and getting the wrong length screws that could damage it. Having said that, with respect to getting the screws to use with the Losmandy plate and rings there should not be any concern, so I will take that route. smile.gif

It's wise to consider the length of the screws. Depending on where you are in the world, the UNF thread could also be a challenge... I'd have to raid our AME supplies to find one then cut it to length. :)

• Sen likes this

#42 Sen

Sen

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 09 November 2021 - 10:01 AM

It's wise to consider the length of the screws. Depending on where you are in the world, the UNF thread could also be a challenge... I'd have to raid our AME supplies to find one then cut it to length. smile.gif

Thanks Bruce.
I was able to get the finder attached and it is working great. I was able to get a Losmandy plate attached to the top of the rings and then able to attach the finder base. Believe it or not, I had all the screws needed in my tool set it self :).

So far got the light weight rings, Losmandy plates, changed the saddle (Rayox), added the finder, fixed the dewshield crumbling inner lining (now it looks really dark and lens pops up :)), got some great eyepieces and diagonal.

Able to spend some good time with the scope. Primarily observing Jupiter and Saturn but also did some sessions on Pleiades. I have been doing manual tracking only as I have not had a chance to put the scope in the backyard to have a view of Polaris to do polar alignment. Planning on doing it this weekend. So far the mount and the scope combination has been great.

Thanks to Randy, I switched to Rayox saddle and feel lot better in mounting and dismounting the scope. It’s great.

Now, I am looking to find some answers on another item that I am trying to figure out. I was able to get a TOA 67 flattener. The question I have is, I have the feather touch 3.5” focuser and it has the Badder Click Lock already attached to it when I bought it. In order to attach the flattener, do I need any additional adapters.

TOA 130 Focuser

I reached out to Starlight Instruments and sent them the same picture and waiting for their reply but thought would send one as some of you might be already doing it.

Thanks for the help.
-Sen

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Accessories, Eyepieces, Refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics