•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Using the Twilight 1 and Skywatcher AZ-GTI heads on the same mount?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 keeganm

keeganm

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2021 - 12:19 PM

I'm researching mounts while I wait for my AT80EDT to ship. I've pretty crefully narrowed it down to these two mounts.

I really like the lightweight, goto GTI.

I really like the manual, slow motion of the twilight 1 .

I think i would use both depending on my needs - GTI for outreach and my family observing planets and the moon, and the Twilight for solo observing when I'm want to sit and not be distracted by technology.

First, does this make sense to do? Or should I just get the GTI?

Second, I'm struggling to figure out if I buy the twilight 1, can I just get the GTI head and stick that on the Twilight's tripod? This one seems to be a much better tripod.

Has anyone got both of these, or some similar combination? I suppose the porta tall+ would also be ideal, but there seems to be some debate on when / if we'll get that back in the US.

Thanks!

#2 dwmedic

dwmedic

Mariner 2

• Loc: Oxford,Ks

Posted 22 October 2021 - 08:10 PM

I had the Twilight 1 mount. I still have the tripod for it that I use. It is definitely a much better tripod. I don't own a Sky-watcher Az-gti but I do own a Sky-watcher  az-eq avant and I have owned the Sky-watcher az pronto. Both of these mounts use the same extension and tripod as the GTI. If you want to mount the GTI to the twilight tripod you are going to need an adapter. Berlebach makes one.

• keeganm likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics