•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Building Telescope Workroom - not observatory per se

Astrophotography DIY Equipment Observatory
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Marsha W

Marsha W

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2021 - 12:50 PM

This is not about an observatory per se.  If this is not the right place, please accept my apology and let me know where this is better posted.

I’m building a workroom for my C11 in the 2nd bay in my garage.  The telescope is on a scope-buggy which I roll out for astrophotography. I’m looking for suggestions/advice re: configuring the workroom to be efficient and secure.

I’m interested in what has been most useful for shelves, drawers, storage, lighting, etc. in the space in which you keep your telescope. What are the best solutions you have found in your observatory for storing accessories, filters, cameras, and spare parts?  It would be great to see a photo if you have one.

I’m thinking about the ribbon lighting with both red and white light options. What has worked best for you in your observatory?

I will run power to that area and install a couple of outlets to charge the batteries and run the lights.  I’m wondering about adding a small heater for the cold and damp weather.  Do you have something that has worked for you?

What do you do to secure your telescope?  My garage door will be locked. Do you do anything else to prevent theft?

Thank you for taking the time!

Marsha

#2 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Apollo

• Loc: Massachusetts / Wyoming

Posted 22 October 2021 - 01:12 PM

Marsha, it would be helpful if you included a photo of the space and, if possible,  a layout showing how you are perhaps thinking of using the space. With this info people can tailor their input to be applicable in the context of the space you have. Some of us are architects in our other lives and others have created similar spaces. Both types of folks would be of more help with some idea of what you have to work with and what you are trying to accommodate in the space.

Gary

#3 Marsha W

Marsha W

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2021 - 02:46 PM

telescope workroom.jpg

Thanks, Gary.

Here's a photo of the space.  

I don't yet have a firm layout but, thinking about a wall behind where the telescope is - and to the left from the back wall (just behind the scope) to the front of the garage with enough room to open the car door in the other bay.  I'd like a work surface and some storage - still working that out.  It may be that a tool cart of some sort with lockable wheels will provide both storage and a work surface - exploring options.

Thanks again,

Marsha

#4 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Apollo

• Loc: Massachusetts / Wyoming

Posted 22 October 2021 - 03:03 PM

Marsha - One quick comment is to encourage the use of movable work surfaces, storage, shelving etc. Even the dividing wall running front to back could be minimally attached to the concrete floor with several (2-4) screw-in anchors and then be lightly-supported above to the roof structure. This would give adequate support while making it an easy job to remove or relocate when the time comes. You might try looking at 'Gladiator' Garage storage components. They're pretty well made and provide good flexibility.  https://www.gladiato...ns/best-sellers

Gary

#5 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Cosmos

• Loc: Florida

Posted 22 October 2021 - 09:05 PM

Heya,

Looks to me like a simple computer desk with a laptop/PC or whatever on there, a chair, some crush proof boxes for camera/filter storage (like Apache/Pelican stuff), and some power strips would do the job in there. Think mobile office setup in the garage. Just add creature comforts. A garage with an opening to push the scope out is basically an observatory setup.

Very best,

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, DIY, Equipment, Observatory

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics