•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

StDr 17/Sh2-123 “Tick Nebula” Dim Planetary Nebula in Cygnus

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 James Peirce

James Peirce

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2021 - 02:26 PM

Is this my first post in Cloudy Nights? Certainly the first image I've shared.

I've done my share of lurking and reading discussions here. :)

Here’s something you may not have seen before:

StDr 17 aka Sh2-123, sometimes called the “Tick Nebula”, is a dim planetary nebula about 12,000 light years away in the northwestern edge of Cygnus. As far as I can tell, it has only been imaged deeply, and shared online, several times now.

And after spending some time with it, I think I see why. It was a very challenging target. Faint, the surrounding nebulosity is fainter still, and the star field is rather dense. (Maybe fewer people get excited about imaging a challenging “tick” in the sky?) I put the editing process on hold and revisited it several times over the past few months.

Comprised of 12 hrs 42 minutes of data captured over five nights in June and August, not counting plenty of data I discarded from the sessions I used, and several nights I didn’t. I used my iOptron CEM-40EC and my Esprit 80ED and RASA-8 (cheating on integration time in exchange for more star headaches, which I “fixed” by collecting better stars in August with my refractor). I collected data in narrowband and in color (2600MC and 2600MM). Post-processing in PixInsight and Adobe Photoshop.

StDr 17 intrigued me because, rather than a tick, it reminded me of a critter I have a bit of a hate-hate relationship with from my beekeeping hobby. Varroa destructor, a parasitic mite which hopped from Apis cerana, the Asian honey bee, to Apis mellifera, the European honey bee, is now responsible for the lion’s share of the European Honey Bee’s headaches. It seems my most challenging targets come from seeing something that tickles my fancy and saying to myself, “I want that...” before I put a lot of thought into how easy it might be to “have that.”

Higher resolution and more details:

Flickr Link
https://flic.kr/p/2mDpCNa
AstroBin Link
https://www.astrobin.com/lyukvj/

Attached Thumbnails

• 2021-08-11 222120  Sh2-123 Tick Nebula Final v2 6x4 CN.jpg

• Ptarmigan, John Miele, D_talley and 23 others like this

#2 John Miele

John Miele

Aurora

• Loc: North Alabama

Posted 22 October 2021 - 02:46 PM

Hi James,

Excellent image! This is indeed a another new object to me. It looks great. For being dim, you captured a lot of signal and detail. How dark were your skies? Star shapes look really good. Thanks for sharing this!

Edit: I just noticed that little group of galaxies over on the right by the bright star...awesome!

cs...John

Edited by John Miele, 22 October 2021 - 02:48 PM.

#3 James Peirce

James Peirce

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2021 - 04:38 PM

Hi James,

Excellent image! This is indeed a another new object to me. It looks great. For being dim, you captured a lot of signal and detail. How dark were your skies? Star shapes look really good. Thanks for sharing this!

Edit: I just noticed that little group of galaxies over on the right by the bright star...awesome!

cs...John

Hi John,

Thanks so much!

I'm delighted to contribute to a target that isn't given much attention. :)

I shot this under Bortle 4 skies. I ended up focusing on this target with relatively good atmospheric conditions because of the dense star field. I captured most of my signal with the RASA-8 and ended up going back to the subject later with my Esprit 80ED to collect some better star data with a narrowband filter for luminance. There's some more detail on acquisition shared at AstroBin or Flickr, linked above. Stars are always a little bit of a headache with my RASA because I swap cameras and tear down my imaging train, but it can do some amazing things pushing more toward the center of the image circle. Sometimes I'm not sure what I want to do with that telescope.

#4 Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan

Lagopus lagopus

• Loc: Arctic

Posted 22 October 2021 - 06:58 PM

Nice image of a obscure object. cool.gif bow.gif waytogo.gif

That tick better not be carrying diseases. shocked.gif

#5 licho52

licho52

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 22 October 2021 - 08:19 PM

Superb description and image, thanks for sharing!

#6 James Peirce

James Peirce

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 November 2021 - 06:08 PM

Nice image of a obscure object. cool.gif bow.gif waytogo.gif

That tick better not be carrying diseases. shocked.gif

I did get sick after imaging it... lol.gif

Superb description and image, thanks for sharing!

Thanks so much!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics