•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M30

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mike W

Mike W

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 22 October 2021 - 02:30 PM

Very interesting OLD globular

http://scienceblogs....ar-cluster-m30/
  • Dave Mitsky, Michael2 and ssmith like this

#2 payner

payner

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Bluegrass & SW Appalachian Regions, Kentucky

Posted 22 October 2021 - 08:51 PM

Good read.  Thanks for posting.

#3 c2m2t

c2m2t

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pembroke, Ont.

Posted 23 October 2021 - 09:06 PM

Hi Mike!

Thank you for posting the link to the detailed presentation of M 30. I have observed M 30, 10 of the last 15 years as I take part in the celebration of the return to warmer spring weather with the annual Messier Marathon. During these marathons, not much time is allotted for detailed study of each of Charles Messier's catalogue of comet imposters. This article provided the opportunity to look at this globular cluster with quite a bit more detail. As with another resent topic about another Messier globular cluster, M 56 in Lyra, I thought I would share another one of my images. After the first scan through the article, I had some difficulty reconciling the three of four images of the cluster within the article. The Hubble image, inspite of its significant depth, was much easier to match up with my image. 

One should quickly note the three strings of stars that emanate from the north side of the cluster, center and right hand lines are straight, while the left hand string has a well defined curve. Surprisingly enough, the Hubble image shows these three strings very dramatically as quite yellow and assumed older statesman within the cluster. With a little bit of effort, and re-orientation of the first three images, these stellar strings can also be made out. Here is what you have to do to the images:

Image 1 : this image has to be rotated counter-clockwise 90 degrees to place north to the top of the image. As you see it in the article, north is oriented to the right.

Image 2 : this image must be flipped along the vertical axis to get the bright star, 41 Cap to the left or east side of M 30

Image 3 : this image has to be rotated 180 degrees to get SAO 190531 to the west side of the cluster.

The Hubble image is oriented north up and east to the left, same as my attached image...a naked eye or corrected view.

Given the reduced depth of my image, the three star strings are quite visible, given that these are some of the brighter stars in the cluster as the Hubble image supports/suggests. What will be interesting for me when I observe M30 at my next opportunity is whether or not these three star strings are visually as prominent as my image suggest.

For the imagers amongst the readers, the image is an A-focal image with a Skywatcher 100 ProED F9 scope and a Canon T2i DSLR with a 30 second exposure @ iso 3200. I did a bit of processing to reduce noise  and improve contrast and sharpness.

Cheers, Chris.

Attached Thumbnails

• M 30-2686-pt-ns-ID-Notes-NR-sm.JPG

Edited by c2m2t, 23 October 2021 - 09:08 PM.

• Mike W likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics