•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Missing Sisters

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BeltofOrion

BeltofOrion

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Newfoundland, Canada

Posted 22 October 2021 - 03:58 PM

Not missing in the sense of mythology. You know how it goes ...the Titan Atlas had seven daughters and because he was forever doomed to hold up the heavens, he couldn't protect them from the hunter Orion. So Zeus transformed them into stars. But only six were visible to the naked eye (for most folks anyway) so to explain that ... as the story goes ... one of the seven fell in love with a mere mortal and went into hiding. In my case that's not why there are missing sisters, though. It's because I haven't had the chance yet to do a mosaic. Actually, I haven't had the chance yet to do much of anything as far as DSO photography is concerned.

I have a lot of firsts here:

1. First DSO photography .Period.
2. Very first light with a new scope ... Orion [yep, that Orion and he's still chasing those sisters ... in a way :-) ] EON 130mm with a 0.8 Reducer/Flattener.
3. Very first time guiding ... and let me tell you, getting that OAG to work with the Orion scope was not easy!
4. Very first time using PixInsight to process the image. By the way, I'd like to give a big shout out to Mitch and his 12 part tutorial on PixInsight for beginners:

<a href="https://www.youtube....h?v=HIXJJqew6rQ" rel="noreferrer nofollow">www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIXJJqew6rQ</a>.

I only used the first eleven parts as I didn't do any batch processing ... just worked through each tutorial in order. If you're new at this give it a look. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

This is a product of eight (8) ... yes, eight ... 30 second  frames, binned 2x2, taken with a ZWO ASI 294MC color camera. No Flats. No Darks. And No Dark Flats. Just the eight Light frames processed in PixInsight. 

You might ask why only eight frames for a tolal of 4 minutes of Integration? The answer is the weather. The terrible, rainy, cloudy miserable weather! Hopefully it gets better.

51619927370_676a655e03_b.jpgMissing Sisters by Zircon_215, on Flickr

Edited by BeltofOrion, 22 October 2021 - 04:01 PM.

• mikewayne3, starhunter50, PirateMike and 8 others like this

#2 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Aurora

Posted 22 October 2021 - 04:15 PM

Nice shot- it's all blue to me- especially the weather- I feel your pain in that direction. There are actually quite a few coloured stars but it takes a camera with deep wells & short exposures to get a good colour range. I imaged this last month with the RASA 11 V2 using the ASI2600 MC PRO which has the required deep wells. It produced a nice deep image with good star colour.

I really like the details you have captured in such a short space of time- you must have good darl skies- what is your Bortle zone as a matter of interest?

Best wishes

Mark

• BeltofOrion likes this

#3 Oort Cloud

Oort Cloud

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey, USA

Posted 22 October 2021 - 04:22 PM

Very nice shot in general. Really impressive for a first attempt at AP, and absolutely shocking for 4 minute integration. You must have nice, dark skies to work with. It would take me hours to get that kind of detail, and I think some of the fainter parts may even be dimmer than my sky.
  • BeltofOrion likes this

#4 BeltofOrion

BeltofOrion

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2021 - 04:32 PM

Nice shot- it's all blue to me- especially the weather- I feel your pain in that direction. There are actually quite a few coloured stars but it takes a camera with deep wells & short exposures to get a good colour range. I imaged this last month with the RASA 11 V2 using the ASI2600 MC PRO which has the required deep wells. It produced a nice deep image with good star colour.

I really like the details you have captured in such a short space of time- you must have good darl skies- what is your Bortle zone as a matter of interest?

Best wishes

Mark

Actually, I meant to put that in there. Thanks for reminding me. I live in a Bortle 5 area. But there's a new hospital going up practically across the road from where we live and the lights they have on the site are blinding. And I don't guess it will be much better when the construction is finished. So I would hazard a guess that the 5 is a conservative number.

Edited by BeltofOrion, 22 October 2021 - 04:34 PM.

• starhunter50 likes this

#5 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Aurora

Posted 22 October 2021 - 04:56 PM

Here is the shot with the RASA I took under my Bortle 7 sky https://www.astrobin.../full/gi4qm3/0/

• BeltofOrion likes this

#6 BeltofOrion

BeltofOrion

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2021 - 05:04 PM

Here is the shot with the RASA I took under my Bortle 7 sky https://www.astrobin.../full/gi4qm3/0/

Looks super! Would love to be able to get more data so I could get something like this.  I can't even get out to do flats ... so I ordered a light panel. Hopefully I'll get another shot at The Sisters one of these days.

• starhunter50 and pyrasanth like this

#7 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Aurora

Posted 22 October 2021 - 05:09 PM

Looks super! Would love to be able to get more data so I could get something like this.  I can't even get out to do flats ... so I ordered a light panel. Hopefully I'll get another shot at The Sisters one of these days.

Your image is excellent considering how little time you spent on the data capture- put a RASA under your dark skies- that really would be something!

#8 starhunter50

starhunter50

Viking 1

• Loc: Tilbury,Ontario 42N , 82W

Posted 30 October 2021 - 01:13 PM

Looks good Zircon, just keep adding data, but that's impressive for so short of exposures.

Mitch..

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics