•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CEM40 with iOptron 1.5" tripod: Real results with small refractors

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MichaelMarz2663

MichaelMarz2663

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Eugene, OR

Posted 22 October 2021 - 04:48 PM

There's a lot of dispute about tripods here. I don't want to start another battle. All I ask is if there are any folks who have actual imaging results with the CEM40 and its standard 1.5" stainless steel tripod, circa 2021, would you please show some of your images and indicate if the tripod had an effect? My telescope is a William Optics GT71 so actual results from anyone with that model or a larger refractor would be welcome. I can afford to buy a pier or whatever is necessary but would prefer to keep the tripod for its light weight, though it would be foolish to carry a light weight tripod to a remote site if the tripod was unstable. I can't test this time of year in Eugene so would prefer to hear from people with experience with the mount and tripod so I can decide if I should replace the tripod before the short viewing season that begins next Spring. Here in Eugene and throughout the sites nearby wind is usually not a factor during the viewing season, and the telescope is small.  

I bought the CEM40 and its 1.5" tripod late this year, past the viewing season, after having used a CEM25P and its 2" tripod. The latter system was stable and I captured images with no instability effects.

As an amateur photographer I'd be happy to use the 1.5" or the 2" for still images if it wasn't for their weight.

I've included a photo of the current version of the tripod to be sure we're talking about the same thing.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.5 inch tripod reduced.jpg

Edited by MichaelMarz2663, 22 October 2021 - 05:03 PM.

#2 HoloTheWolf

HoloTheWolf

Explorer 1

• Loc: Northern California

Posted 30 November 2021 - 05:57 PM

I purchased my CEM40 with the 1.5" tripod more than a year ago, as there was no other options available back then. My imaging rig consists of Takahashi TSA-120N + WO 50mm Guider + EFW + ASI294MM + ASI120MM-S + EAF + ASIAir Pro + Pegasus Powerbox Advanced + two 10-pound counter-weights. Here are a few examples taken by using the setup:

get.jpg?insecure  get.jpg?insecure  get.jpg?insecure

The tripod handles the mount and the system reasonably well, but I won't say the 1.5" tripod is a good fit. By design the 1.5" tripod has its own limit and stability, I think I am pushing it to the limit. For more stability and freedom of rig movement, I'm planning to get a tri-pier though. Because there were a few occasions where my telescope/camera (almost) hit the tripod legs during the imaging sessions.

Edited by HoloTheWolf, 30 November 2021 - 05:58 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics