•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PixInsight--a first time ridiculous problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 psy1280

psy1280

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2021 - 04:50 PM

I just purchased PixInsight and right out of the box I've encountered a ridiculous problem (!). I cannot activate the tool/control bar at the top of the page. I literally spent the last three hours trying everything I could to activate the bar...nothing (the bar remains grayed out and inactive). I'm not sure if I uninstall and reinstall if this will help. Any suggestions will be MOST appreciated.

Joe 

Attached Thumbnails

• TOOL_CONTROL BAR.png

#2 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Aurora

Posted 22 October 2021 - 05:03 PM

Are you able to click the file-open button on the top left?

The  toolbar options immediately below this button will only work when you have an image open in the active space.

I would see if you can open an image like a JPEG or tiff file first- it does not need to be an astronomy image.

Let us know if the file-open option works.

Edited by pyrasanth, 22 October 2021 - 05:05 PM.

#3 SnowWolf

SnowWolf

Ranger 4

• Loc: Colorado Front Range

Posted 22 October 2021 - 05:11 PM

I assume you mean the tool bar below the "FILE  EDIT  ..." line.  All of those tools work on an image.  Since you don't have one loaded, none of them are active.

Load an image with the FILE>Open and many of them will become active.

I highly recommend watching a few videos on the user interface.  It's quite different from any other image processing software.

• Jim Waters likes this

#4 don314

don314

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 22 October 2021 - 06:35 PM

I suggest you watch PixInsight YouTube videos by Chris Woodhouse.  They are very well done.

#5 psy1280

psy1280

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2021 - 10:54 PM

Thanks to all of you! After loading an image I was able to access the icons. THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

• SnowWolf likes this

#6 sbharrat

sbharrat

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: NJ, USA

Posted 23 October 2021 - 08:09 AM

Thanks to all of you! After loading an image I was able to access the icons. THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

If you haven't done any research/tutorials on the PI interface, this won't be the last time you get stuck. You won't "figure it out" by trial and error. I strongly suggest you find one of the many tutorials on the PI interface and spend some time with it. It will save you a lot of frustration that gets in the way of actually *doing* the processing you are trying to do. 

• dswtan likes this

#7 FlankerOneTwo

FlankerOneTwo

Viking 1

• Loc: Vegas, baby!

Posted 23 October 2021 - 12:43 PM

The interface is somewhat non-standard and does takes some getting used to. The workflow is also different from many other programs.

If you like videos and walkthrough tutorials, I think it is hard to beat Adam Block's (extensive) series for a deep dive in PI.

If you prefer books (like me), Warren Keller's "Inside PixInsight" or Rogelio Andreo Bernal's "Mastering PixInsight" (more conversational in tone) are both excellent.

#8 psy1280

psy1280

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 October 2021 - 08:52 AM

I want to thank all of you for your encouragement and wonderful tutorial recommendations! I appreciate your generous support.

Joe

#9 AstroVagabond

AstroVagabond

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Mateo, CA

Posted 25 October 2021 - 09:45 AM

I've decided to make Adam Block Studios my PixInsight training partner. Adam's lecture style and colleterial material is a great fir for my learning style. I purchased the Fundamentals course which also includes Adam's FastTrack course.

It did not take me long once I downloaded the trial version to realize I needed a structure learning progression to start up the PixInsight learning curve. I'm happy with my decision to make Adam my teacher.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics