•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First attempt at the heart nebula

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tatoo

Tatoo

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: CNM

Posted 22 October 2021 - 05:28 PM

Canon EOS 60Da on a Sky Guider Pro

iso 1600 F/5.7

181 - 20 sec exposures

stacked in DSS post processed in GIMP

Tamron 150 - 600mm at 310mm

I TRIED TO STACK IN Sequator but I couldn’t bring out the nebula so tried in DSS and got this.

All tips welcome especially post processing in GIMP 70641FEE-1C56-4A99-B979-D5D67BC91B99.jpeg

• 17.5Dob, PhotonHunter1, pyrasanth and 2 others like this

#2 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Aurora

Posted 22 October 2021 - 05:55 PM

A good attempt.

One of the most positive things you can do to improve your image quality at no additional cost, other than time, is good calibration techniques. You need to be using flats and darks or at least flat & bias calibration. This will improve your image leaps and bounds especially as you have stacked 180 subs to produce this image. The background of your image is dark and calibration will help give you an even background so you can enhance all aspects of the image evenly.

I suspect there is a small amout of tilt in your image train- the left side of the image has stars slightly larger than the right- evidence of tilt. Tools such as CDD inspector wil help you analyse the frame. 

Colour is subjective- your palette is not bad leaning a bit toward the red which is okay.

Keep at it- your results, especially with calibration will get better. Well done so far.

#3 JCDAstro

JCDAstro

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 October 2021 - 07:26 PM

I think you clipped the black point, perhaps a bit too much. Once you clip that data its gone forever! Otherwise, I really enjoyed seeing this image, keep up the hard work.

#4 17.5Dob

17.5Dob

Cosmos

• Loc: Colorado,USA

Posted 22 October 2021 - 07:54 PM

That's not bad for only 1 hr of integration.....I generally don't even bother setting up unless I'm sure I can get a minimum of 4 hrs on a target. Unless you are shooting through a tight sight window, you should try shooting from the time your target rises ~45* above the east horizon, until it gets to 45* on the west horizon. Total exposure is the key and helps solve a host of issues.

#5 Tatoo

Tatoo

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: CNM

Posted 22 October 2021 - 09:47 PM

Pyracanth, I did use calibration shot, of flats, biases, and darks 30 of each. Do you think I need more? I used my Canon EOS 60Da so I’m not sure how tilt got in there but I will check my setup closer next time. 

Thanks to everyone that responded. JCD is probably right about the black clipping. I’ll have to watch my post processing closer But I am unsure how to tell what is too much.

17.5Dob is definitely right I need more data.

On that note, can I go out Sunday and shoot the same area in the sky and add that new data to the stack?

#6 JCDAstro

JCDAstro

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 October 2021 - 06:39 AM

You can certainly add new data to a stack, even months or years apart, just be careful to frame the target similarly so that you maximize overlap!
  • Tatoo likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics