•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Bracing camera tripods

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: West Virginia

Posted 22 October 2021 - 05:57 PM

I have a few camera tripods I use for ultra portability with some of my small mounts (Dwarfstar, Unistar Light). 

I'm searching for any ideas for how to brace the legs on these. Most telescope specific tripods have bracing and made rigid when attaching an accessory tray, but most camera tripods do not have these natively.

Thanks.

#2 luxo II

luxo II

Aurora

• ****-
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 22 October 2021 - 06:55 PM

Might be better to trade the ones you have for a "final solution" with spreader, tray and chain and solve your issue properly.

Options:

1. Google "aluminium laser level tripod", these have a spreader, centre column and are not costly.

2. Pick up a survey tripod secondhand, they can be had for under $100.

3. Berlebach Report, with spreader, tray, chain and more (lots of options to explore).

4. Berlebach Uni Astro, now this is a serious tripod that can take an EQ6 mount, ie probably not for what you want.

Sounds like #3 is what you're dreaming of, if you sell what you have you might be able to trade up.

NB while I do have a camera tripod (Slik Master II Pro) it has been used barely a half a dozen times in 40 years. The Berlebach Uni8 however sees duty several times a year with my 70mm APO or 6" mak on top.

Edited by luxo II, 22 October 2021 - 07:11 PM.

#3 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 22 October 2021 - 09:43 PM

For situations where extreme portability isn't needed, the Berlebach is for sure attractive. Was looking at it yesterday.
  • Castor likes this

#4 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 22 October 2021 - 10:10 PM

I have a few camera tripods I use for ultra portability with some of my small mounts (Dwarfstar, Unistar Light). 

I'm searching for any ideas for how to brace the legs on these. Most telescope specific tripods have bracing and made rigid when attaching an accessory tray, but most camera tripods do not have these natively.

Thanks.

I recommend using camera tripods that do have center bracing. 

They're out there.

Jon

• Castor and 25585 like this

#5 gwlee

gwlee

Gemini

• Loc: 38N 120W

Posted 24 October 2021 - 12:48 AM

I recommend using camera tripods that do have center bracing. 

They're out there.

Jon

Do you mean bracing like Manfrotto 475B?

#6 gwlee

gwlee

Gemini

Posted 24 October 2021 - 12:53 AM

Thanks.

I have heard of people filling the legs a liquid that sets up and becomes a solid, internal reinforcement. 

#7 Xeroid

Xeroid

Vanguard

• Loc: USA

Posted 24 October 2021 - 10:00 AM

GOLGO13,

using small hand tools, I made an eyepiece holder for my tripod using plywood and OCLAMPs from Amazon...

Idea was from CN user Eddgie

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20211024_105313060_HDR-1.jpg

Edited by Xeroid, 24 October 2021 - 10:12 AM.

• Castor likes this

#8 teashea

teashea

Gemini

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 24 October 2021 - 08:19 PM

Thanks.

They will never be satisfactory for real stability for a telescope.  Get a real tripod made for astronomy.   Remember that the mount/tripod is as important as the telescope.

• Sacred Heart likes this

#9 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Apollo

Posted 24 October 2021 - 08:59 PM

What are you looking to mount??  What are you doing??  Point and view the Moon or goto the stars and galaxies??

For my 3.5 Maksutov I use a Bogen head on a Bogen Monfrotto tripod with center bracing.  The head is rated for 15lbs.  There are heavy duty photo and cinema tripods out there $$$$$ and there are good astonomy tripods too  $$$ -  $$$$$.   Depending on your needs and abilities you may be able to DIY something.     Check out everything from B & H Photo to Astronomics and High Point and OPT.   There are a bunch of others too.  Losmandy HD tripod,  monolith tripod by SB or pier tech.    Joe

#10 Cfreerksen

Cfreerksen

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tooele, Ut

Posted 24 October 2021 - 09:31 PM

My experience with portable tripods is they are way too light and unsteady. This was the case with the Sky Guider Pro setup. I bought this.

https://www.amazon.c...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Toss a in couple rocks from the surroundings and no more issue.

Chris

Edited by Cfreerksen, 24 October 2021 - 10:29 PM.

#11 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 24 October 2021 - 09:33 PM

The current tripod isn't bad for sure. It's a Giottos rated for 28 pounds. Honestly, it does a pretty good job with the Unistar Light mount. That being said, it's got no center bracing. But it doesn't seem like this is an impossible thing to do.

The issue with telescope specific mounts are they are not portable. Portability is nice to have with these small telescopes and mounts.

• Castor likes this

#12 gwlee

gwlee

Gemini

Posted 25 October 2021 - 05:17 PM

They (photo tripods) will never be satisfactory for real stability for a telescope.  Get a real tripod made for astronomy.   Remember that the mount/tripod is as important as the telescope.

I have found it depends on the size and design of the photo tripod, and the size of the scope that’s going on the tripod. The 9.5# Manfrotto 475B tripod that I am using now with my AT72ED2 is an excellent combination for my use, much more suitable than the heavier wooden astro tripod I used with it previously.

It’s several pounds lighter, has sufficient stability. It’s much more convenient to adjust and operate from horizon to zenith, and doesn’t require a heavy astronomical observing chair. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1629.jpg

Edited by gwlee, 25 October 2021 - 05:31 PM.

• Castor likes this

#13 gwlee

gwlee

Gemini

Posted 25 October 2021 - 05:29 PM

GOLGO13,

using small hand tools, I made an eyepiece holder for my tripod using plywood and OCLAMPs from Amazon...

Idea was from CN user Eddgie

Interesting modification for adding stability and utility to a photo tripod. I saved the links to the clamps. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics