•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First light, and First time processing my OSC data

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 asf

asf

Mariner 2

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2021 - 06:28 PM

Hey guys, I got new gear! Redcat 51 and ZWO ASI 183MC Pro, Svbony UHC Lp filter and my ioptron sky guider pro(already owned). So! I did first light and I was aiming for sadr, but idk where I ended up. I saw nebulosity in my 60 second exposure and it was already late so I let it run for bout an hour. Here is the stacked(slightly stretched) image, https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing. Anyone have tips for processing the OSC data? I'm completely new to this kind of processing, I've not calibrated it with darks, biases, flats so can you process this while I create a library for my Darks, Flats and Biases? Will return updated image here. 

Thank you

#2 asf

asf

Mariner 2

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2021 - 07:57 PM

Calibrated: https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

#3 Juzwuz

Juzwuz

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 22 October 2021 - 09:41 PM

Have you ever tried http://nova.astrometry.net/? You can upload your image and let it platesolve.

http://nova.astromet...70365#annotated

• Baron von Smoogle likes this

#4 Dren

Dren

Vostok 1

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 22 October 2021 - 10:08 PM

Congrats on your Redcat!

I use mono camera, so am not sure if OSC processing is different.  I would assume that after R, G, and B images from mono are combined, then processing would be the same/similar.  Anyways, here is what I can get using just (1) background extraction, (2) background neutralization, (3) color calibration, and (4) stretching in PixInsight.  The brighter image is from autostretch, and darker image is from archsinhstretch.

Brighter.JPG

Darker.JPG

There is a glow on the right side of the image.  Perhaps amp glow hasn't been calibrated out completely?  

You didn't mention what software you use for processing.  It might be easier for people to provide processing tips if they knew what software you use.  

I recommend grabbing more data before working on processing.  Having good data makes processing much much easier. 

• Benschop likes this

#5 asf

asf

Mariner 2

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2021 - 10:17 PM

Congrats on your Redcat!

I use mono camera, so am not sure if OSC processing is different.  I would assume that after R, G, and B images from mono are combined, then processing would be the same/similar.  Anyways, here is what I can get using just (1) background extraction, (2) background neutralization, (3) color calibration, and (4) stretching in PixInsight.  The brighter image is from autostretch, and darker image is from archsinhstretch.

attachicon.gifBrighter.JPG

attachicon.gifDarker.JPG

There is a glow on the right side of the image.  Perhaps amp glow hasn't been calibrated out completely?  

You didn't mention what software you use for processing.  It might be easier for people to provide processing tips if they knew what software you use.  

I recommend grabbing more data before working on processing.  Having good data makes processing much much easier. 

Thank you! I use Photoshop and DSS for processing my images. Could you provide me with both processed fullsize images? 

You imaged the Propeller Nebula, DWB 111

So you mean to tell me... that I was THIS close to the Sadr Region, without noticing :( 

• Benschop likes this

#6 Benschop

Benschop

Viking 1

• Loc: Ontario

Posted 22 October 2021 - 10:18 PM

Great little scope and camera. Short focal lengths are the way to start out.

I enjoy this kind of story... push the scope to a position, see something interesting, then image it.

You imaged the Propeller Nebula, DWB 111, focus looks good.

• asf likes this

#7 Benschop

Benschop

Viking 1

Posted 22 October 2021 - 10:26 PM

Propeller - DWB111 is very dim. Butterfly is much brighter

If you had landed on Sadr, you would have seen A LOT of nebulosity, and processing would be easier also.

So you mean to tell me... that I was THIS close to the Sadr Region, without noticing frown.gif

#8 Benschop

Benschop

Viking 1

Posted 22 October 2021 - 10:38 PM

Here is a quick process of your calibrated image

OTHZ38R.jpg

• Dren and asf like this

#9 Dren

Dren

Vostok 1

Posted 22 October 2021 - 10:47 PM

Thank you! I use Photoshop and DSS for processing my images. Could you provide me with both processed fullsize images? 

So you mean to tell me... that I was THIS close to the Sadr Region, without noticing frown.gif

Yup, here are the processed images.  I applied a little curvetransformation to reduce brightness and increase color in the nebulosity.

https://drive.google...mkY?usp=sharing

Propeller - DWB111 is very dim. Butterfly is much brighter

If you had landed on Sadr, you would have seen A LOT of nebulosity, and processing would be easier also.

Totally agree with this.  When you capture again, try to capture brighter nebulosity in that area.  North America Nebula is also a pretty good target.  

• Benschop likes this

#10 asf

asf

Mariner 2

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2021 - 10:49 PM

Yup, here are the processed images.  I applied a little curvetransformation to reduce brightness and increase color in the nebulosity.

https://drive.google...mkY?usp=sharing

Totally agree with this.  When you capture again, try to capture brighter nebulosity in that area.  North America Nebula is also a pretty good target.  

Yeah, so I actually think I found the Sadr region my first time, but the problem was is that it was in the corner of the image and I had to move it in the declination axis and yk the ioptron you don't have fine tuning so I lost it... do you have a solution for this? 

#11 Benschop

Benschop

Viking 1

Posted 22 October 2021 - 10:49 PM

Now for the "quick" processing info...

RawTherapee - Color balanced / initial curve stretch, saved as a lossless PNG

Affinity Photo - using the PNG from above, further stretched the image, and then applied the HLVG plugin to balance the background

#12 Dren

Dren

Vostok 1

Posted 22 October 2021 - 11:05 PM

Yeah, so I actually think I found the Sadr region my first time, but the problem was is that it was in the corner of the image and I had to move it in the declination axis and yk the ioptron you don't have fine tuning so I lost it... do you have a solution for this? 

Ah, that is unfortunate. Sorry but I'm not familiar with sky guider pro. I started AP with star adventurer, which has the Dec tuning.

Are there any markings on the Dec rotator to keep track of how you're changing the Dec? If not, could you use some tape to mark your original spot so you can come back to it if you turn the wrong way? Once you've found your target, you could also use tape to mark that Dec position so you can come back to it on another night. 

#13 Benschop

Benschop

Viking 1

Posted 22 October 2021 - 11:13 PM

Do you have / were you using the handbox to move the iOptron Sky Guider in DEC?

#14 asf

asf

Mariner 2

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2021 - 11:19 PM

Handbox? What do you mean by that?

#15 asf

asf

Mariner 2

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2021 - 11:20 PM

Ah, that is unfortunate. Sorry but I'm not familiar with sky guider pro. I started AP with star adventurer, which has the Dec tuning.

Are there any markings on the Dec rotator to keep track of how you're changing the Dec? If not, could you use some tape to mark your original spot so you can come back to it if you turn the wrong way? Once you've found your target, you could also use tape to mark that Dec position so you can come back to it on another night.

Huh never thought of that

#16 asf

asf

Mariner 2

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2021 - 11:20 PM

Huh never thought of that

#17 Benschop

Benschop

Viking 1

Posted 23 October 2021 - 12:18 AM

GO2NOVA Hand controller. Also called handbox, plugs into the HBX port 

However, per the user manual, it only controls RA.

Personally, I couldn't live without DEC controls.

Handbox? What do you mean by that?

#18 asf

asf

Mariner 2

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2021 - 12:19 AM

ohhh that thing, no I just use the buttons on the sky guider to turn my RA axis

#19 asf

asf

Mariner 2

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2021 - 01:33 PM

I'm planning to buy this thing: https://www.amazon.c...WNrPXRydWU&th=1. It should help, one person in the reviews also used it for the same purpose so fingers crossed! 

#20 Dren

Dren

Vostok 1

Posted 23 October 2021 - 01:44 PM

Interesting.  I'm a little confused as to how this would attach to the skyguider pro.  Perhaps you could give us your impressions after you've had a chance to use it.  There are probably others with skyguider pro who want to have more dec control.  

• asf likes this

#21 asf

asf

Mariner 2

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2021 - 02:03 PM

Interesting.  I'm a little confused as to how this would attach to the skyguider pro.  Perhaps you could give us your impressions after you've had a chance to use it.  There are probably others with skyguider pro who want to have more dec control.  

Yeah, so I have the Declination bracket right? and I can remove the little thing that allows me to move my declination axis and once removed I have access to a 3/8 screw. I will attach it to the bottom and use the converter that comes with this thing 1/4>>3/8 and attach it to the redcat's dovetail. (Hopefully) I'll definitely share here or create a new post on my experiences with this thing. 

Edited by asf, 23 October 2021 - 02:03 PM.

• Dren likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics