•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Interesting about QHY cameras

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 unimatrix0

unimatrix0

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2021 - 07:29 PM

Today is not the day for astrophotography for me, but for the heck of it (and having a 20 minute window of clear skies) I experimented with connections. 

Whether it's known for some or not, when it comes to my QHY183C, there is this religous routine I have to go through, and that is, if I connect it to a software (N.I.N.A or Sharpcap) I have to go to the mount, unplug the USB and plug it back, otherwise I won't get any images. 

Same thing if I switch between software, like I'm doing a Bathinov mask with sharpcap, then I disconnect the camera within the software, and then let's say I start N.I.N.A and connect the camera - again- I have to go to the mount unplug/replug the camera again from the usb hub or from the back of the camera. 

I tried this with many USB 3.0 cables and 2 different drivers over the past 8 months , even on different computers and different setups, it's always the same routine- basically it's not my equipment's problem. 

So, today I also have another QHY camera, which a color planetary/ guider. QHY5III224.  This camera also have a USB 3.0 connection. 

So instead of the USB 3.0 wires, I connected both with USB 2.0 to the hub. 

Interestingly, I don't have to do my routine of disconnecting/reconnecting , not even the 183.  They just work fine with USB 2.0, actually feel more stable  I even quick-switched them in Sharpcap and nothing. Works right off the bet, no plugging/unplugging required. 

I have to add, they aren't even the best USB 2.0 cables around, they are flat and look quite thin. They come packaged with a ZWO guide camera. 

I also tried how far I can push the camera and I had 20fps as max pointed at Jupiter.  I'm not using these cameras for planetary video/photo,  I DSO image with them and the smaller camera is for guiding, so the shortest exposure I have to take are no less than 1 second. 

So just a heads up for anyone having connection issues.  Try a USB 2.0 cable they  fit right in the USB 3.0 port. 

• Ken Sturrock likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics