•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Looking for mount and tripod recommendations

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jwojcik

jwojcik

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 22 October 2021 - 07:55 PM

Hi hi. 

I got my start in astrophotography with an avx mount and a WO GT71. I had it hooked up to my mac laptop, running kstars / ekos and I've been pretty happy with the results. 

I've since upgraded my OTA to a Tak 120N and have been trying to control the mount and cameras with a raspberry pi 4 running astroberry. The goal is to be able to sit in my RV and be able to control the gear, stay warm and not get bitten by insects. 

A few problems I'm having now that I'd like the new gear to take care of: 

Im having a problem doing plate solving with astroberry, either locally or via the internet. It just won't work. If I upload an image to nova I can get it to solve after about 10 minutes, which makes it a nonstarter for assisting with an alignment. 

Polar alignment is a big pain with the avx. I'm jealous of all of the people at Cherry Springs who seem to be able to get an alignment during the day without even being able to see polaris. So, if I need to upgrade the mount, I'm all for it.

Doing real time image stacking would be cool to do, too. 

Whatever I do, I'd like to keep things very portable.

Please help!

John

• teashea likes this

#2 Sandy Swede

Sandy Swede

Viking 1

• Loc: Delaware beaches

Posted 22 October 2021 - 08:23 PM

How are you polar aligning the AVX?  I use SharpCap and the Polemaster.  Easy-peasy.  Or you could use your guide cam and SharpCap.  If you want more detail, PM me. 

#3 fewayne

fewayne

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Madison, WI, USA

Posted 22 October 2021 - 08:30 PM

What's your power like? I just posted an anecdote about plate solving getting flaky on my Pi when I used a power brick just as I had done many times. On the battery, problem-free.  (Also my login to the Pi would fail half a dozen times  in a row. Weird.)

Have you confirmed that your focal length, image scale, and field of view are correct in the Alignment module? If those are off, the Ekos solver can wander off into la-la-land.

Have you tried enabling logging in Ekos and looking at the result? Might give a clue; might be reams of useless cruft.

Do you have a standalone version of ASTAP on the Pi? Dunno, you could try that.

Sandy, you'll note that the OP is not running Windows, which lets out SharpCap.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics