•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Leica / Panasonic L mount M48 2'' adapter: building the unicorn...

Accessories Astrophotography DIY DSLR
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tomsgate

Tomsgate

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Luxembourg

Posted 22 October 2021 - 08:22 PM

Hi all,

I recently switched from a M4/3 mirrorless system to a full frame camera. Since I've been a fervent Panasonic user for years now (after going through Nikon, Canon & Sony), it only made sense to me to stick to the brand and go for one of their newer FF models. Low light performance was the key here, for astrophotography amongst others.

Only... there was a tiny detail I didn't account for when going the FF system: the *!?#@ M48 to L mount adapter. Or the lack thereof... You can find T2 adapters for this mount but you'll introduce a lot of vignetting because it's too small for the FF sensor. So you need an M48.

At this point, I hear you Nikon/Canon/Sony users name a dozen different websites to get this kind of adapter. For your cameras. Now try finding one for a Panasonic / Leica L mount! I found one worldwide. ONE!

https://www.teleskop...L-Bajonett.html

So I ordered it after a lot of cursing (50€ incl, shipping, for a piece of metal with no glass in it, seriously!) and I waited. And waited. Delayed. I'm still waiting.

Now, I did order an M48 to 2'' adapter to attach to this part a while ago from Aliexpress, and that one arrived promptly. You can find plenty of those.

I also ordered a Leica / Panasonic L mount to M42 adapter to attach a vintage prime lens I wanted to use on my new camera. These can actually be found quite easily on the same website, even though they are a lot rarer than Nikon/Canon/Sony adapters to M42. So I got that one too.

Now here is the kicker: the M42 adapter is made of 2 parts, the bayonett mount and an M42 thread insert. That insert is held in place by 3 grub screws, so it can easily be removed. And guess what: the M48 to 2'' adapter fits nicely in there, so you can build your own adapter for half the price! 

Here's the result. Btw, since those 3 grub screws of the bayonett part barely catch the M48 to 2'' adapter, I strongly (!) suggest to add a decent amount of epoxy (I used JB weld) to strengthen the connection. Put a generous amount of epoxy on the M48 thread, connect it to the bayonett and use the grub screws to perfectly center it and maintain it in place while drying.

Clear skies!

Thomas

P_20211023_023347-2.jpg

P_20211023_023012-2.jpg

P_20211023_023138-2.jpg   

Edited by Tomsgate, 23 October 2021 - 04:32 AM.

• tim53 likes this

#2 tim53

tim53

Hubble

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 22 October 2021 - 10:38 PM

Very cool.

I also have an S5.  I did the same thing you did - removing the t-thread insert, only I used an insert that threads into my Tak Epsilon 130.  Since I've used that insert with my Olympus EM5ii as well, I was reluctant to epoxy it in place.  In the process of switching inserts a while back, I lost one of those ridiculously small grub screws.  So I bought another adapter, and will drill out the screw holes in the other one and thread them for something like 6-32 screws that I can see!

I like the S5, but I haven't had a lot of opportunity to learn how best to use it for Astrophotography.  I've taken some decent photos with it, both with the kit lens and also with the Epsilon 130.  It's really nice to not have vignetting and pinpoint stars with an f/3.3 telescope!

-Tim.

• Tomsgate likes this

#3 Tomsgate

Tomsgate

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Luxembourg

Posted 23 October 2021 - 04:56 AM

Hi Tim,

Thanks.

"I lost one of those ridiculously small grub screws" - yeah, I almost lost them myself...

I actually tried to replace them with different screws, I happen to have longer ones at home but they just didn't have enough surface to grab onto on the M48 insert. Drilling wasn't an option either. I also looked for an M48 thread insert to replace the M42 insert but couldn't find one: don't think those exist for that size, they would have to be very thin/flimsy to fit in there. So in the end I went for JB weld, it's now a permanent mod but it feels sturdy enough for me to dare attach my camera to it.

"I like the S5, but I haven't had a lot of opportunity to learn how best to use it for Astrophotography"

Same here. I've extensively used a GH4 and a GH5 for pro video work in the past, and they were simply amazing for... well anything except low light, tbh. The S5 is a recent purchase and so far I love it, except for the autofocus (which is irrelevant in astro).

Haven't tried it for astrophotography yet either ("Clear skies"... where?) but I can't wait. Tomorrow maybe. That High definition mode might be useful. I already love the red display mode and the display boost for liveview focus on the stars, along with focus peeking.

Coming from M4/3 cameras, that low light performance though, with dual native ISO... **** smile.gif

Clear skies,

Thomas.

Edited by Tomsgate, 23 October 2021 - 04:56 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Accessories, Astrophotography, DIY, DSLR

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics