•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Planewave L-350 mount with GSO 16" RCT?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 xthestreams

xthestreams

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 22 October 2021 - 08:41 PM

Hey CNers,

Wondering if anyone has any experience with the L-350 and the GSO16" scope.

Whilst I'd love to get a CDK 17 and an L500, that's going to be a deal killer with the SO - so instead was contemplating the "poor man's" option and even an L500 seems a little rich at the moment.

The mount is rated to 45kg and the 16" comes in at 35kg without the image train and computers - adding a Nitecrawler WR35, camera/ONAG/FW and computer/UPBv2 gets me up to 8kg max - putting the whole image train comfortably within 45kg (at 43kg).

The only reason I see this being a bad idea is the torque moment of the larger OTA - comparing the GSO 16" to the CDK 14";

- length 43" vs 35" - 20% longer

- diameter 21" vs 14" - 50% wider

The latter is the one that I suspect will cause issues with balance/bearings etc - my Plan B would be to sling the PW12.5 that already own off it, so all is not lost if I get this wrong.

As to WHY an L-350 given I have a Paramount ME - I am growing tired of 18th mechanicals (grease and gears just seems so primitive) not to mention meridian flips and this seems like a reasonable first step into modernising the observatory.

Would love to hear thoughts & feedback but especially experience at the limits of the L-350s payload. (and yes, I wish I had made this decision a week ago and saved $1500USD).

#2 aruckle

aruckle

Vostok 1

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 22 October 2021 - 08:51 PM

I am curious to know what the arm Clear distance from the Center of the Dec axis and the base of the one arm fork?  will it swing the mirror end of a Newtonian, 24" length?

aruckle

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics