•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Piggybacking Celestron StarPointer n 78mm Diam ZWO ASI

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Farzad_K

Farzad_K

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Portland, Oregon, USA

Posted 22 October 2021 - 08:59 PM

Hello Folks.

My new rig (iOptron SGP) is almost ready - all it needs is a way to carry a Celestron StarPointer finder scope. There are a few options, and one I am toying with at the moment is to strap-mount it on top of the ZWO ASI body kind of how you'd strap a watch on your wrist. one of the feet that comes with the finder is very suitable for curved surfaces and appears to remain true to the ASI's main axis when you put it on.

Anyone has a better idea? ZWO sells a tripod mount for about $60 that I can get and modify, and I can also get lens tripod brackets large enough for 78mm diameter of the ASI. But the finder is pretty lightweight and doesn't need a very robust connection with the base. I think even the rubber bands I am using might work.

Thanks for any thoughts and ideas.

Attached Thumbnails

• comb.jpg

Edited by Farzad_K, 22 October 2021 - 09:02 PM.

#2 pretyro

pretyro

Mariner 2

Posted 22 October 2021 - 11:42 PM

Hello Folks.

My new rig (iOptron SGP) is almost ready - all it needs is a way to carry a Celestron StarPointer finder scope. There are a few options, and one I am toying with at the moment is to strap-mount it on top of the ZWO ASI body kind of how you'd strap a watch on your wrist. one of the feet that comes with the finder is very suitable for curved surfaces and appears to remain true to the ASI's main axis when you put it on.

Anyone has a better idea? ZWO sells a tripod mount for about $60 that I can get and modify, and I can also get lens tripod brackets large enough for 78mm diameter of the ASI. But the finder is pretty lightweight and doesn't need a very robust connection with the base. I think even the rubber bands I am using might work.

Thanks for any thoughts and ideas.

I had a similar problem, in that I wanted to attach additional devices (including a StarPointer) to my telescope.  I ended up making a collar (that attaches to the telescope) that has mounting points for finder scope brackets.  For example, I piggybacked a StarPointer and a camera lens (mounted to a RACI diagonal) along with the standard 9x50 finderscope.onto my 4" telescope.  The white collar I made was printed in nylon.

tamron on telescope revA.jpg

Edited by pretyro, 22 October 2021 - 11:43 PM.

• Farzad_K likes this

#3 Farzad_K

Farzad_K

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Portland, Oregon, USA

Posted 23 October 2021 - 08:34 AM

I had a similar problem, in that I wanted to attach additional devices (including a StarPointer) to my telescope.  I ended up making a collar (that attaches to the telescope) that has mounting points for finder scope brackets.  For example, I piggybacked a StarPointer and a camera lens (mounted to a RACI diagonal) along with the standard 9x50 finderscope.onto my 4" telescope.  The white collar I made was printed in nylon.

Good solution. I have a lens collar tripod mount that holds the 500mm Nikkor lens, and I can get other collars that can grab onto the 78mm ZWO. OR, I can just get one of these...made for the ASI and to work as a tripod mount. I can turn it up and mount the finder. But it is too much for the light scope. I am thinking maybe an elastic strap instead of a pair of rubber bands might work too.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics