•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Venus, Saturn, Jupiter 22 Oct - "We are all in the gutter...

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Lacaille

Lacaille

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Canberra

Posted 23 October 2021 - 12:05 AM

...but some of us are looking at the stars", wrote Oscar Wilde. 

I myself have spent most of this week clearing the gutters of our house, after the tradesman we had engaged to do the job took one look at the narrow crevices edged with razor-sharp roofing, and filled with silt and fine casuarina leaves, and disappeared for good, muttering something in parting about needing some special equipment.

Cleaning roof gutters combines all the joys of unblocking a drain with the risk of breaking your neck by falling from the ladder, so I felt that karma owed me.   Last night, turning from the gutter to look at the stars, it seemed that they were slightly less twinkly than recently.   In fact, we had some fair seeing here in South Canberra for the first time in months.

I first managed to grab a 6 minute video of Venus in the UV using the 290MM, before clouds moved across the western horizon:

2021-10-22-0946_0-ML-UV-Ven_g6_ap16.jpg

Then a wide-screen view with the 462MC of Saturn and five moons (L-R Dione, Tethys, Mimas, Enceladus, Rhea):

2021-10-22-0956_1-ML-L-Sat_g6_ap34 moons.jpg

Then a view of Jupiter and an approaching Ganymede, and a close-up of Jupiter's less fashionable side:

2021-10-22-1014_6-ML-L-Jup_g6_ap33.jpg

2021-10-22-1035_8-Synth-L-Jup_g6_ap29_Drizzle15  white bal.jpg

Lastly back for some closer views of Saturn, with no obvious storms or irregularities but a pleasing appearance:

2021-10-22-1055_5-synth-L-Sat_g6_ap35.jpg

Here's hoping spring continues to see an improvement in the conditions here.

Regards

Mark

• Magellanico, JMP, Mike McShan and 27 others like this

#2 Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Carterton, New Zealand

Posted 23 October 2021 - 12:53 AM

Very nice work Mark. You have a surprising amount of detail on Ganymede.
Cheers Paul
  • Lacaille likes this

#3 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 23 October 2021 - 01:00 AM

Nothing like a bit of gutter cleaning to sharpen your imaging Mark! waytogo.gif waytogo.gif :rofl: 

On my agenda also but I'll be paying someone to replaces the entire front gutter plus some of the fascia board where the service line is anchored...

• Lacaille likes this

#4 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 23 October 2021 - 01:12 AM

ps: have you been seduced by the overblown image brigade Mark? - 220mm diameter on my screen when clicking on the largest image! bigshock.gif  

• Lacaille likes this

#5 MarMax

MarMax

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 23 October 2021 - 01:44 AM

Fantastic images and fabulous Ganymede detail!

And I hear you on cleaning the gutters. I've got to do this for the next two days in preparation for the first rain of the season. And it really does take me two days to do all the gutters plus the drainage inlets. One of those dirty jobs and I can't seem to find anyone to pay to do it.

• Lacaille likes this

#6 Foc

Foc

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 23 October 2021 - 01:45 AM

Great C14 images Mark!  You really got value out of this little bit of good seeing that came our way.  I think I like Jupiter with Ganymede the best, but it is also a very nice Venus.  Your Jupiters show that white blodgy Southern outbreak very nicely.  The giant image reminds me of the recent image of a huge sunfish ferreted out of a fishing net, a monster from the depths of space.

In the near vicinity, I was quite unsuccessful with my C11 but I did get a few images with my old C8 I was running as a back up that certainly look worth posting to provide a small scopes view...and I will not try and make any of the C8 images bigger than yours!!

As an aside, I replaced the gutters and some fascia last year,  I can say it is an expensive way of getting them cleaned so good luck with your improvised methods.

• Lacaille likes this

#7 Lacaille

Lacaille

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2021 - 05:13 AM

Thanks  for the likes and kind comments.

Hi Paul, much appreciated - I think the features on Ganymede are a mix of real things and artefacts. Here is a version of Ganymede from a 3 min video I took in the same session, with a small ROI on Ganymede, posed next to the WJ simulation. I think there are some sharpening artefacts and a bit of real albedo:

Ganymede 22 Oct 2021.jpg

Thanks Darryl, sorry, my innate vulgarity got the better of me for a moment there and I rushed the submission without scaling down the drizzled image.  looking at it again reminded me of the times you arrive late at the cinema (remember those?) and you get put in the front row. Here is a more modest version:

Jupiter 22 Oct 2021.jpg

Max, pay my fare to LA and I will do your gutters for you, provided I can bring my crowbar, bucket with fitted wire hook, and old kitchen tongs.

Thanks Ross - might be another good night tonight? But I will be having a rest!

Mark

• JMP, troyt, Foc and 1 other like this

#8 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Waxahachie, TX

Posted 23 October 2021 - 08:58 AM

You have to watch out for those gutters.  A friend of mine was cleaning his, got scared by a squirrel that jumped onto the roof.  He spent a couple weeks in the hospital followed by month of rehab!!

• Lacaille likes this

#9 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 23 October 2021 - 02:27 PM

Nice images, Mark. Is it World Gutter Day today? My wife pointed out our gutters and their "roof garden" appearance this morning and mentioned something about their needing to be cleared. Which I of course totally ignored.
  • Lacaille likes this

#10 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Waxahachie, TX

Posted 23 October 2021 - 02:31 PM

Nice images, Mark. Is it World Gutter Day today? My wife pointed out our gutters and their "roof garden" appearance this morning and mentioned something about their needing to be cleared. Which I of course totally ignored.

Never forget the possibility of a sinister plot???
  • Lacaille likes this

#11 Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Carterton, New Zealand

Posted 23 October 2021 - 03:34 PM

“Innate vulgarity” that’s a good one Mark. I’ll have to remember that.
What an interesting idea to take a capture centred just on Ganymede with a small ROI.
Cheers Paul
  • Lacaille likes this

#12 Tulloch

Tulloch

Soyuz

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 23 October 2021 - 04:49 PM

Quote of the year : "Cleaning roof gutters combines all the joys of unblocking a drain with the risk of breaking your neck by falling from the ladder." lol.gif  

I wish I knew of a good way to keep the leaves and 2" spiky seedpods from the Liquid Amber out the front of my home out of my gutters (which also annoyingly blocks my view of the south celestial pole from my backyard).

Nice images also Mark, especially like Saturn smile.gif

Andrew

Attached Thumbnails

• Tree small.jpg
  • Tree leaf seedpod small.jpg

• Lacaille likes this

#13 Tulloch

Tulloch

Soyuz

Posted 23 October 2021 - 04:51 PM

ps: have you been seduced by the overblown image brigade Mark? - 220mm diameter on my screen when clicking on the largest image! bigshock.gif  

Time to get a smaller screen? lol.gif

• happylimpet and Lacaille like this

#14 Lacaille

Lacaille

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2021 - 05:22 PM

Well, I don't know, and it could be global plot - though wouldn't that be the lamest James Bond reboot ever? - but it was the similar phenomenon of stuff growing out of the gutters that led to a number of "remarks", and ultimately me poised on top of a ladder with kitchen tongs and a bucket.

You have to watch out for those gutters.  A friend of mine was cleaning his, got scared by a squirrel that jumped onto the roof.  He spent a couple weeks in the hospital followed by month of rehab!!

Oh dear! In our case it is marsupial possums that surprise us, but they are nocturnal. I was concerned about redback spiders throughout this exercise though.

“Innate vulgarity” that’s a good one Mark. I’ll have to remember that.
What an interesting idea to take a capture centred just on Ganymede with a small ROI.
Cheers Paul

Yes, it is worth trying, as you can really optimize the settings, increase FPS etc. But artefacts are very likely to occur, even so! As far as I can tell, the WJ ephemerides graohics are correctly synchronized to keep us honest!

Quote of the year : "Cleaning roof gutters combines all the joys of unblocking a drain with the risk of breaking your neck by falling from the ladder." lol.gif  

I wish I knew of a good way to keep the leaves and 2" spiky seedpods from the Liquid Amber out the front of my home out of my gutters (which also annoyingly blocks my view of the south celestial pole from my backyard).

Nice images also Mark, especially like Saturn smile.gif

Andrew

Thanks Andrew.  I am guessing you are not a convert to GutterGuards?  I don't have them but recently caused a big schism in our family by asking whether they worked.  Turns out it is a bit like Meade vs Celestron, Bob's Knobs vs Allen bolts, cooling vs insulating the tube etc.   The rage increases with the lack of data.

Time to get a smaller screen? lol.gif

Must admit that having posted them I reviewed comments on my iphone and they looked fine!  I think Darryl has a screen like an iMax cinema!

• Tulloch likes this

#15 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Mid-Atlantic, USA

Posted 23 October 2021 - 05:34 PM

Click for full size:

s-l1600.jpg[Source]

• Tulloch likes this

#16 Tulloch

Tulloch

Soyuz

Posted 23 October 2021 - 05:44 PM

Click for full size:

Love to, but the tree is on the nature strip and so the council owns the tree - I'm not allowed to touch it :(

I've asked for it to be pruned, but they aint interested ...

#17 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Mid-Atlantic, USA

Posted 23 October 2021 - 05:56 PM

Love to, but the tree is on the nature strip and so the council owns the tree - I'm not allowed to touch it frown.gif

I've asked for it to be pruned, but they aint interested ...

Sounds like a cloudy night project. smile.gif

My neighbor had a stump removed in his backyard a few months ago. When I came home the day they removed it, half of the council-owned tree just outside his fenceline had also mysteriously disappeared. It irritated my wife considerably, as it gave us good morning shade. But our view north is now less obscured.

So maybe it's more of a shady neighbor project. lol.gif

BQ

Edited by BQ Octantis, 23 October 2021 - 05:59 PM.

• Lacaille likes this

#18 MarMax

MarMax

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 24 October 2021 - 09:08 PM

trim,

Max, pay my fare to LA and I will do your gutters for you, provided I can bring my crowbar, bucket with fitted wire hook, and old kitchen tongs.

Mark

I like your special tools for the "gutter" task. One of mine is a 16 foot paint roller extension pole fitted with a narrow broom. It works great pulling or pushing leaves across the metal roofs. I spent about 6 hours Saturday and 4 hours today and got all the gutters/roofs done. I need another couple hours in the morning to clean the drainage inlets.

I think it's actually going to rain mid-day tomorrow. I do the same cleaning routine every year before the first storm and last year the first storm fizzled out. Maybe gutter cleaning and the first storm event is somehow inversely related to a telescope purchase and clouds . . lol.

• Lacaille likes this

#19 Lacaille

Lacaille

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 October 2021 - 03:32 AM

I like your special tools for the "gutter" task. One of mine is a 16 foot paint roller extension pole fitted with a narrow broom. It works great pulling or pushing leaves across the metal roofs. I spent about 6 hours Saturday and 4 hours today and got all the gutters/roofs done. I need another couple hours in the morning to clean the drainage inlets.

I think it's actually going to rain mid-day tomorrow. I do the same cleaning routine every year before the first storm and last year the first storm fizzled out. Maybe gutter cleaning and the first storm event is somehow inversely related to a telescope purchase and clouds . . lol.

OK, I get the impression you are bringing professionalism to this, whereas I view myself as just a gifted amateur.

• MarMax likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics