•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade LX200GPS Mount/Handset Issue

Cassegrain Catadioptric Equipment Meade
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Brisby2

Brisby2

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Athens, GA

Posted 23 October 2021 - 01:00 AM

Hello all,

I'm a member of the astronomy club over at UGA, and we received a donated 14" Meade LX200GPS many many years ago but have just recently gotten around to restoring it. The previous owner claimed that it was broken when donating it. The optics and cosmetics are all in exceptional condition, but we believe there to be something wrong with the electronics.

The scope came with two Autostar II handsets, and we have tested them both to have the same issue. When the mount is powered on, the hand controller will begin its initialization procedure, successfully completes it, and then becomes unresponsive. Normally, I would imagine pressing buttons would allow you to proceed to the alignment procedure, but this is not the case, as the hand controller stays stuck on the one screen. The buttons are not the issue, because we can use them and also slew just fine when in diagnostic mode, but it just simply will not move on to the alignment screen. Logic tells me this could be something wrong with the controller, but it is very unlikely for both handsets to have the same issue, especially since both have been updated to the latest firmware.

Any ideas?

#2 michael8554

michael8554

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wiltshire UK

Posted 23 October 2021 - 10:46 AM

The "electronics" are all in the base of the mount, the handbox is just buttons and a display, so the handboxes won't be the problem.

You might need to reload the Firmware.

Move to the "Meade Computerized Telescopes" section ?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cassegrain, Catadioptric, Equipment, Meade

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics