•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ethos 8 or XWA 7?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sw196060

sw196060

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 23 October 2021 - 08:08 AM

I have an Ethos 8 and also a XW7. I like the E8 but find myself
always reaching for the XW7, because of focal length.
This has me thinking of selling both and replacing with the XWA7.
My question is, does the XWA7 give you similar experience as the Ethos? Comparison to E8?
Thx.

#2 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 23 October 2021 - 09:54 AM

Yes, it is a difficult matter to see any performance difference between the Ethos and APM XWA. I have the 7mm XWA and 6E. When I picked up the 7mm I intended to sell the 6 but have decided to keep it for the same reason - focal length.

Seeing any difference in these ep's is a different activity from observing. For observing I see no useful difference in the two eyepieces. I have not had the 8E in years but it was = to the 6E and I think the same impressions will apply to it.

I use both in all my scopes w/o consideration for performance or form. One difference is that the APM's caps fit and stay on. Another is that there is no chance the APM's 2" adapter will not hang up on the Paracorr 2's brass ring and require you to disassemble the P2 to separate them.

• kongqk likes this

#3 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 23 October 2021 - 10:08 AM

I had both for a while.  The only difference in my scopes seemed to be image scale due to the difference in magnification.  I decided to sell the 8mm Ethos because I was pushing past the magnification it gave to the 7mm XWA.  And if the seeing did not support the 7mm, then I usually had to drop back to the 9mm Morpheus anyway.

Dave

• CeleNoptic likes this

#4 kongqk

kongqk

Vostok 1

• Loc: Bay Area (CA)

Posted 23 October 2021 - 10:58 AM

Yes, it is a difficult matter to see any performance difference between the Ethos and APM XWA. I have the 7mm XWA and 6E. When I picked up the 7mm I intended to sell the 6 but have decided to keep it for the same reason - focal length.

Seeing any difference in these ep's is a different activity from observing. For observing I see no useful difference in the two eyepieces. I have not had the 8E in years but it was = to the 6E and I think the same impressions will apply to it.

I use both in all my scopes w/o consideration for performance or form. One difference is that the APM's caps fit and stay on. Another is that there is no chance the APM's 2" adapter will not hang up on the Paracorr 2's brass ring and require you to disassemble the P2 to separate them.

I am considering to buy a Paracorr 2 in the future to pair up with my APM XWAs, do you mean they are not easy to pair with each other? This is my only concern, and it seems Paracorr 2 is mainly designed for ethos?

#5 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

Posted 23 October 2021 - 11:19 AM

I am considering to buy a Paracorr 2 in the future to pair up with my APM XWAs, do you mean they are not easy to pair with each other? This is my only concern, and it seems Paracorr 2 is mainly designed for ethos?

Oh, no. The P2 works with all sorts of ep's. And it works well to do exactly what it says it will do. It definitely works very well with all the APM eyepieces as well as all TV's ep's but those that need the barrel extender for use in the P2 - 6 and 8mm Ethos. It is very highly recommended! Sorry that my comment allowed for some confusion.

The 6E and 8E, due to the awful design of the adapter that allows for use at 2" barrel size and the need to use a barrel extender with the P2, have a dimensional stack-up that places the less-than-smooth seam between their body and the extender right at the lower edge of the brass ring in the P2. That seam can stick on the ring and the eyepiece WILL NOT be removed from the P2 w/o disassembling the corrector to compress the ring. That isn't, for me at least, a field operation to be undertaken at a dark site. Yeah, ask me how I know. Twice.

Edited by havasman, 23 October 2021 - 11:20 AM.

• kongqk likes this

#6 kongqk

kongqk

Vostok 1

• Loc: Bay Area (CA)

Posted 23 October 2021 - 11:21 AM

Oh, no. The P2 works with all sorts of ep's. And it works well to do exactly what it says it will do. It definitely works very well with all the APM eyepieces as well as all TV's ep's but those that need the barrel extender for use in the P2 - 6 and 8mm Ethos. It is very highly recommended! Sorry that my comment allowed for some confusion.

The 6E and 8E, due to the awful design of the adapter that allows for use at 2" barrel size and the need to use a barrel extender with the P2, have a dimensional stack-up that places the less-than-smooth seam between their body and the extender right at the lower edge of the brass ring in the P2. That seam can stick on the ring and the eyepiece WILL NOT be removed from the P2 w/o disassembling the corrector to compress the ring. That isn't, for me at least, a field operation to be undertaken at a dark site. Yeah, ask me how I know. Twice.

Thank you so much for clarification! Now I have no worry about getting a P2 ^_^ Appreciate! 

• havasman likes this

#7 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 23 October 2021 - 02:11 PM

I have an Ethos 8 and also a XW7. I like the E8 but find myself
always reaching for the XW7, because of focal length.
This has me thinking of selling both and replacing with the XWA7.
My question is, does the XWA7 give you similar experience as the Ethos? Comparison to E8?
Thx.

I have both the 8mm Ethos and the 7mm XWA.

The 8mm is 228x in my scope, the 7mm is 261x.

I also have the 6mm Ethos (304x).

The jury is still out, but I got the 7mm to:

--try out the APM for sharpness and contrast in my f/5.75 dob (the f/ratio with a Paracorr 2)

--to find out if it was as comfortable to use as the 8mm and 6mm Ethos.

So far (just two full nights with it), I can say:

--it is as sharp and contrasty as the 6mm and 8mm Ethos.

--it seems just as well corrected at the edge as the others.

--it does seem to have perhaps a mm less eye relief than the Ethos, but since I use none of these 3 with glasses, it seems fine in that regard.

I have not used it on the Moon or a bright planet, so I cannot provide detailed information about light scatter.

I used it for deep sky on galaxies and globulars and a couple planetaries.

So far, I think it fits in really well and yields a fine image.

I will try to use it on some very faint galaxies in the future to gauge how hard it is to see fainter objects, but, so far, it seems like

an excellent eyepiece.  I used it as a 1.25" eyepiece, just like I use the 6mm and 8mm Ethos.  It worked fine as a 1.25" eyepiece.

• CeleNoptic likes this

#8 YeloSub

YeloSub

Vostok 1

Posted 06 November 2021 - 11:42 AM

Never used an ethos, but I now have all but the 3.5mm in the XWA line. The 7mm is my favorite. Maybe it's just the focal length in my 12 f/5... I have used it successfully on Jupiter and provides a very crisp image without any ghosting or EOFB. Great eyepiece IMO! Noticeably sharper than the ES82 6.7mm.
  • russell23 and RichieNg like this

#9 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 06 November 2021 - 02:26 PM

. That isn't, for me at least, a field operation to be undertaken at a dark site. Yeah, ask me how I know. Twice.

It happened to me once. I've described it several times.

I'm not fan of compression rings so the ring went where is belonged.. in the trash. Nylon or aluminum thumbscrews.. 

Jon

#10 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

Posted 06 November 2021 - 02:42 PM

I had the XWA 7mm and 6E out last night. They're both very fine and I couldn't see any appreciable difference but focal length except the XWA eye lens cap never fell off during the session. I've had or have several of the XWA's and at a point last night I considered the 7 may be my favorite of the lot. The 7 is the shortest focal length I've tried. With the 4.7 & 3.7E's in the kit there just hasn't been any reason to go to those XWA's.

I really like the XWA eye cups for the way they help stabilize placement. But last night they showed their (maybe only) weakness. It was very humid at the surface and I had to pay particular attention to my breath. I use an observing hood and if I didn't watch it the cup seemed to catch the moisture and dew up at a slightly higher rate than the thinner, shallower Ethos eye cups. It's not a huge deal: in through the nose and a bit forcefully out through the mouth. Then there was no prob with any of the eyepieces.

Edited by havasman, 06 November 2021 - 02:42 PM.

#11 Roman M

Roman M

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Украина

Posted 07 November 2021 - 07:50 AM

I had the XWA 7mm and 6E out last night.
They're both very fine and I couldn't see any appreciable difference but focal length except the XWA eye lens cap never fell off during the session. I've had or have several of the XWA's and at a point last night I considered the 7 may be my favorite of the lot. The 7 is the shortest focal length I've tried. With the 4.7 & 3.7E's in the kit there just hasn't been any reason to go to those XWA's.

I really like the XWA eye cups for the way they help stabilize placement. But last night they showed their (maybe only) weakness. It was very humid at the surface and I had to pay particular attention to my breath. I use an observing hood and if I didn't watch it the cup seemed to catch the moisture and dew up at a slightly higher rate than the thinner, shallower Ethos eye cups. It's not a huge deal: in through the nose and a bit forcefully out through the mouth. Then there was no prob with any of the eyepieces.

I tried changing eyecups with APM XWA
on Ethos 21mm and it came up.
Accordingly, the covers too.
I don't have any other Ethos, so I won't say for them.
I wonder if you can buy APM XWA eyecups and covers anywhere?

#12 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 07 November 2021 - 10:36 AM

I tried changing eyecups with APM XWA
on Ethos 21mm and it came up.
Accordingly, the covers too.
I don't have any other Ethos, so I won't say for them.
I wonder if you can buy APM XWA eyecups and covers anywhere?

Try APM in Germany.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics