•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SkySafari 7 release

• Please log in to reply
1062 replies to this topic

#51 Escape Pod

Escape Pod

Mariner 2

• Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Posted 04 November 2021 - 09:14 PM

Sign into your LiveSky account in SS7 and your equipment and observing lists will sync automatically.

Well now, that’s nice :)

#52 ordep

ordep

Vendor Simulation Curriculum

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Toronto

Posted 04 November 2021 - 09:46 PM

Is there any way to get a bit more space on the object info screen for the long form description? The object info is one of my favourite parts of SS6, but with SS7 the layout has changed so that the description is squeezed into a scrollable view taking up less than half of the screen (this is on an iPhone).

Thank you for the feedback Jim!  I'll speak with the dev team about this, perhaps the visibility section should scroll with the page on smaller devices.  Give us a little time to collect some feedback.  We'll issue a few prompt updates in the coming days/weeks - this is a new release and I'm sure we missed a few things and need to rethink others.

#53 lightbulbjim

lightbulbjim

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 04 November 2021 - 09:52 PM

Thank you for the feedback Jim!  I'll speak with the dev team about this, perhaps the visibility section should scroll with the page on smaller devices.  Give us a little time to collect some feedback.  We'll issue a few prompt updates in the coming days/weeks - this is a new release and I'm sure we missed a few things and need to rethink others.

Thanks! I understand that this is a brand new release and there will be a few rough edges to smooth out.

Personally I would love a "compact mode", which would shrink all the padding and increase the information density throughout. But I know that is a lot of work and even a little controversial these days wink.gif ...

• martinl and Dan Finnerty like this

#54 Steve Cox

Steve Cox

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 04 November 2021 - 10:36 PM

Sign into your LiveSky account in SS7 and your equipment and observing lists will sync automatically.

My issue was a bit different, as I didn't have any of my lists saved in Livesky (I cleaned it out when I got rid of Android), and SS5 does not talk to Livesky.  So I had to follow the guide suggested here.  Even though the instructions were for SS6, it works for SS7 also, and now all my lists and settings are once again saved in Livesky.

#55 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 04 November 2021 - 10:44 PM

No reason to clean out LiveSky when you left Android.  Both Android and iOS use the same LiveSky account.  You can share equipment and observing lists between them just fine.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#56 Steve Cox

Steve Cox

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 05 November 2021 - 05:20 AM

No reason to clean out LiveSky when you left Android. Both Android and iOS use the same LiveSky account. You can share equipment and observing lists between them just fine.

Quite true but SS5 did not talk to Livesky so for the last almost two years Livesky went untouched and out of date.

#57 Steve Cox

Steve Cox

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 05 November 2021 - 06:32 AM

Looks like the weather is favoring tonight so I'll get my first field test of the new app.  So far, I really like what I'm seeing, especially with to me what is a much nicer, slightly uncluttered interface.  Also, on SS7, for my aging eyes, I really like inverted monochrome mode when switched to night vision and red screen on the new interface.  It makes everything so easy to read and very usable in the dark on my phone.  I believe I'm going to have to buy the Android version once it becomes available so I can run it on my Windows desktop.

One question I do have, are there supposed to be any "In App Purchases" or is that page in Settings supposed to be empty right now; or were all the add-ons offered in SS6 included in SS7 Pro?

#58 DSO Viewer AZ

DSO Viewer AZ

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 05 November 2021 - 07:07 AM

Loaded SS7 last night and played with it for an hour or two. I really like it. All my equipment, observations, and observing list transferred over in the blink of an eye with live sky. Nice! That was my biggest worry. The Halloween orange of targets in observing list is interesting choice, would be cool to have ability to change those colors, Not a game changer but, I really liked the blue in 6 during daytime planning. At night in red screen doesn’t matter. The information pop up when selecting a target is pretty cool as well. I am heading to dark skies tonight and looking forward to giving it a run for its money. Always a bug or two in the beginning, but so far so good for me. Well done guys. waytogo.gif

#59 ordep

ordep

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 05 November 2021 - 07:49 AM

One question I do have, are there supposed to be any "In App Purchases" or is that page in Settings supposed to be empty right now; or were all the add-ons offered in SS6 included in SS7 Pro?

Hi Steve, you are suppose to get the GAIA Extension Star Database and PGC Galaxy Database as free downloads in that section.  However we did notice they are not there - we've reached out to Apple and will be submitting an update later today (Friday) to address the issue.  Hopefully it will be approved by Monday or Tuesday.  Sorry about that.

• Garry, Steve Cox and Escape Pod like this

#60 ascii

ascii

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Orlando, FL, USA ~28.5ºN,81.5ºW

Posted 05 November 2021 - 08:24 AM

I'm a long-time user of Sky Safari and I can't make any sense of how to scroll the sky around in version 7.  The sky seems to move in all sorts of random directions as I try to drag it around.  I'm guessing there is some default setting I need to change, but I haven't found it yet.  It's worse when I'm zoomed out or near the horizon.

• danielguo and cupton like this

#61 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 05 November 2021 - 08:41 AM

I'm a long-time user of Sky Safari and I can't make any sense of how to scroll the sky around in version 7.  The sky seems to move in all sorts of random directions as I try to drag it around.

There have been no changes in SS7 that should effect this.  All I can think of is that you are near the zenith where panning can make things go in circles.  It has been that way since SS1.

#62 ordep

ordep

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 05 November 2021 - 08:51 AM

I'm a long-time user of Sky Safari and I can't make any sense of how to scroll the sky around in version 7.  The sky seems to move in all sorts of random directions as I try to drag it around.  I'm guessing there is some default setting I need to change, but I haven't found it yet.  It's worse when I'm zoomed out or near the horizon.

Hi Sid, we did get a few reports this morning on this issue on iPhone 12 -  there are reports of some panning issues even in other apps with the introduction of iOS 15.1 - our devs are looking at it now - hopefully we'll find out what it is and it will be part of the update we are pushing to Apple later today.

#63 ascii

ascii

Gemini

• -----

Posted 05 November 2021 - 08:57 AM

Hi Sid, we did get a few reports this morning on this issue on iPhone 12 -  there are reports of some panning issues even in other apps with the introduction of iOS 15.1 - our devs are looking at it now - hopefully we'll find out what it is and it will be part of the update we are pushing to Apple later today.

Yeah, I'm on an iPhone 12 mini running iOS 15.1.  Sky Safari Pro 6 still works fine, but 7 is just bonkers for scrolling around.  Hope you can get it fixed soon.  Thanks!

#64 ascii

ascii

Gemini

• -----

Posted 05 November 2021 - 09:13 AM

Yeah, I'm on an iPhone 12 mini running iOS 15.1.  Sky Safari Pro 6 still works fine, but 7 is just bonkers for scrolling around.  Hope you can get it fixed soon.  Thanks!

... Here's an additional data point:  I just downloaded Sky Safari Pro 7 onto my iPad mini 5 running iPadOS 15.1.  Scrolling seems to work fine in this setup.

#65 BrentKnight

BrentKnight

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Foley, Alabama

Posted 05 November 2021 - 09:14 AM

Loaded SS7 last night and played with it for an hour or two. I really like it. All my equipment, observations, and observing list transferred over in the blink of an eye with live sky. Nice! That was my biggest worry. The Halloween orange of targets in observing list is interesting choice, would be cool to have ability to change those colors, Not a game changer but, I really liked the blue in 6 during daytime planning. At night in red screen doesn’t matter. The information pop up when selecting a target is pretty cool as well. I am heading to dark skies tonight and looking forward to giving it a run for its money. Always a bug or two in the beginning, but so far so good for me. Well done guys. waytogo.gif

You brought up colors and it reminded me of another issue I have with SS6.  I had requested that the color/brightness of the Scope Display circles/rectangles be made adjustable.  Any chance that was added?

• DSO Viewer AZ likes this

#66 Tangent

Tangent

Messenger

• Loc: Texas

Posted 05 November 2021 - 09:15 AM

Personally I would love a "compact mode", which would shrink all the padding and increase the information density throughout. But I know that is a lot of work and even a little controversial these days wink.gif ...

Ditto that.  White space can be very effective in an art gallery or other large open space, but on a mobile device it is a severe detriment to being able to process information efficiently.  

#67 JohnWatty

JohnWatty

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 05 November 2021 - 09:25 AM

The new graphics look nice, but has the Audio Tour section been removed?  I really liked that!

#68 cupton

cupton

Messenger

• Loc: Marshall Township, PA

Posted 05 November 2021 - 09:36 AM

I noticed the exact same thing last night after downloading. I thought maybe it was just me or a setting that I was missing. Figured I would play more today to see if there's anything that I was doing wrong. Another issue I had was searching the Apollo 11 feature on on the moon. All sorts of crazy going on there. 

Diggin' the update though! I like it. 

#69 troske

troske

Sputnik

• Loc: Albany, NY

Posted 05 November 2021 - 09:47 AM

The panning issue on my ipad installation was because of a default setting to turn on compass mode with device tilt. 

I have transferred all my settings and equipment via livesky. Now I need to get my custom horizon panoramas into the new version. Are there any new and improved ways to do that?

Tim

#70 ordep

ordep

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 05 November 2021 - 09:50 AM

The new graphics look nice, but has the Audio Tour section been removed?  I really liked that!

Hi John, it's still there.  Tap the speaker icon on the far right to play the audio tour.  Tap the phonetic spelling of the object to hear the pronunciation audio.

#71 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Houston

Posted 05 November 2021 - 09:50 AM

The panning issue on my ipad installation was because of a default setting to turn on compass mode with device tilt. 

I have transferred all my settings and equipment via livesky. Now I need to get my custom horizon panoramas into the new version. Are there any new and improved ways to do that?

Tim

I just brought one into mine. You have to side load the image. Connect it to Mac, select files, then drag the image from your desktop to the SkySafari root folder that is visible in this view.

I really wish they had added Files access from within the app, to access iCloud stored files so you don't have to connect the device to a computer.

• troske likes this

#72 ordep

ordep

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 05 November 2021 - 10:03 AM

That's a good idea - I've added it to the bucket for 7.1.  It would also be nice to sync these via LiveSky - so it propagates to all your devices.

I really wish they had added Files access from within the app, to access iCloud stored files so you don't have to connect the device to a computer.

• psandelle, Starsareus, Lead_Weight and 1 other like this

#73 ordep

ordep

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 05 November 2021 - 10:07 AM

You brought up colors and it reminded me of another issue I have with SS6.  I had requested that the color/brightness of the Scope Display circles/rectangles be made adjustable.  Any chance that was added?

Hi Brent, I did find your request ticket from 2 years ago.  This feature is not in the 7.0 release but I've added it to the 7.1 bucket - I'll push for it.  We did change the colour of the FOV to a light purple.

• BrentKnight likes this

#74 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 05 November 2021 - 10:24 AM

Thanks! I understand that this is a brand new release and there will be a few rough edges to smooth out.

I'm curious what you mean by padding?

Jon

#75 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Houston

Posted 05 November 2021 - 10:26 AM

That's a good idea - I've added it to the bucket for 7.1.  It would also be nice to sync these via LiveSky - so it propagates to all your devices.

There is a great iOS app called Observer Pro that lets you trace a 360° version of your horizon and output a PNG specifically for SkySafari into your iCloud files.

• ordep likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics